Teaching moment or child abuse...

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorGrowl, Apr 28, 2014.

1. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,234
    Remember as a young man or lady your dad throwing you into the lake or pool to teach you to swim. Now, I know some consider that abuse, while others would say, not abuse, just a teaching moment.

Here is a teaching moment in Jacksonville from last week.

Now, that went viral in Jacksonville (and perhaps other places) on the weekend. Facebook blew up on the thread that showed this video with a majority of the opinions saying it was abuse.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....133607876651872.22696.121026441243349&type=1

One the other hand-
    Today story now states this-
    JSO, DCF investigating shocking video of man kicking boy off Kona Skate Park ramp in Jacksonville

The Department of Children and Families and Jacksonville police are investigating a video of a man kicking a young boy off a high ramp at Kona Skate Park, the Times-Union has learned.

The video first appeared on social media Friday and caused such an uproar it was shown on national television over the weekend and was on the website for NBC’s Today on Monday. First Coast News, The Times-Union's news partner, identified the man as the boy's father.

John Harrell, a spokesman for the state Department of Children and Families, told The Times-Union Monday morning that the investigation began Saturday after authorities saw the video and people on social media expressed outrage.

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/...park-ramp#.U15XNuYso2U.facebook#ixzz30CevCWYR
  2. rewww

rewww New Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    It is absolutely a form of abuse. Just because the kid wasn't hurt doesn't make it okay. I worked for DCF for 3 years as an investigator and I can guarantee you that if they were not involved people would be claiming that DCF is failing to protect the child. This is by no means an egregious offense and there should be no risk of the child being removed but dad needs to learn to not be a dick. He may not be a bad parent but this is not how you teach your child. I would recommend anger management for dad, my concern would be if he is willing to do this in public what does he do in private when he loses control?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,218
    Don't like it, I feel sorry for that child that his father is an idiot.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,336
    I'm sure anyone who's had kids has said or done something that you realized, either immediately or much later ... "Yeah, that wasn't good."
    But that ... damn.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,950
    Not cool at all. I would like to see how the kid feels about it though.

I was coaching Jr. High football with a kid's dad a few years back. His son was very timid coming off the line. His dad stood behind him and shoved him with his foot at the snap of the ball, right into the opposing lineman. Doesnt sound all that bad, but his kid ducked his head and this unexpected additional 'boost' from dad caused him to sprain his neck pretty bad. Kid hasnt played since cause he's scared to death.

I told him if he touched my son, I'd kill him.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. rewww

rewww New Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    If the goal was to show him he had nothing to be afraid of then the dad should have slapped on the helmet and pads and done it first. If he makes it down he can say, "see how easy it is" and if he falls he can say, "look I'm not hurt." Teaching moments should be used to teach, not scare.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +945
    i've dropped in on big ramps, pools the like, kicking a kid from behind is in no way going to teach the proper form, so that excuse is out of the window
    • Like Like x 1
  8. cjgator76

cjgator76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +575
    Looks to me like a pissed off dad kicking a kid in anger. Note that he turns away immediately after the kick.

Also as Anstro said there's no way that a kick - especially one w/o warning- is going to result in proper technique.

I don't know if it's legal abuse, but definitely wrong.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    I don't think he should be arrested or anything, but pretty dumb. Should probably go through some counseling or something.
  10. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,099
    Half-pipes are surprisingly easy to fall on and not get hurt (he was geared up pretty well, so it didn't look physically dangerous), but I would be more concerned about how the kid handles the event mentally. I think it would be better to let him go at his own pace and let him take his own falls. No need to scare him and possibly give him reasons not to trust you. 6-years old? That height is huge for him, the half-pipe completely dwarfs him. Can't help but shake my head at that. I'm impressed that the kid even got to the edge like that (assuming he did that on his own). Hopefully the kid can bounce back from this and keep skating.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  11. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    That is absolutely different than being pushed in the pool. Being pushed in the pool isn't being kicked 10 feet to the ground like a rag doll. Teaching moment is showing him how to do it, letting him try on his own. You don't just kick the kid ensuring he absolutely bust his butt...