Taylor

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by eastowest, Sep 24, 2013.

1. eastowest

eastowest Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    OC Pease said KT will start getting more touches.Says "He's a kid who's got good quickness,good strength,he's got good running instincts and abilities."Said he's been really practicing a lot better.Could it be they saw what Murphy could do....why not see what Taylor can do?
  2. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,088
    I think it has more to do with Jones's struggles than anything.
  3. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,203
    I think it is a combination of both...Jone's struggle & seeing what Murphy did as a backup.
  4. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    They said last week he was going to get more touches and this time he actually got in the game. I dont think it has anything to do with Murphy. It has more to do with Kelvin and the other RB's.

They said if he continues to practice well he will get more touches. It is the same thing that happen to Jones last year. Murphy's play has no impact on Kelvin playing. Just like if we see Kelvin have a great game they are no going to play Robinson more. Robinson is going to play more when he develops.
  5. 67walkon

67walkon Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +905
    Are the coaches afraid ? Afraid to start Tyler over Jeff ? Afraid to give Kelvin touches over Matt ? Can't be criticized for going safe. I'm starting to worry this is an issue. If they fail with the safe choices they might feel protected. This has been a weird few years.
  6. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    what would they be afraid of? I think they just want to play people when they believe they are ready so they have the best chance to win football games.
  7. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,088
    Dean over Wuerffel, Williams over F. Taylor, Carthon over Fason, Moore over Demps, Garcia over Shaw, Shaw over Thompson, et al, ad infinitum. Every coach at every level privileges experience over talented inexperience. It has nothing to do with fear.
  8. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    If they didnt plan on giving Taylor meaningful carries this year they would have redshirted him. Taylor and everybody else knows if he does his job the carries will come. In the UT game Kelvin got a carry then stayed in the game and it looked like it was going to be his series until Tyler messed up the shot gun snap.
  9. eastowest

Ratings Received:
    +163
    Some players play better in games than in practice.
  10. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,088
    Yes, and that is the conundrum coaches have: their only basis for judging a player who hasn't gotten on the field is practice, and if a kid is not executing his assignments, not running hard, not holding onto the ball, whatever, they are less likely to trust them in a game. You just can't expect a coach with his career riding on the outcome of these games to toss a kid in the fray just to see what he can do, even though he hasn't done what you asked in practice. Not saying that is the case with Taylor, mind you, but more generally.
  11. fortmyersgator

fortmyersgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +118
    Terry Dean came in the 93 FSU to replace Wuerrfel and came within an eyelash of pulling off a great comeback.
  12. eastowest

Ratings Received:
    +163
    93 game was DW breakout game
    2003 was CL
    2013 Taylor?
  13. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,088
    Yes, because Wuerffel hurt his knee and had to sit out the SECCG and Sugar Bowl. I was in the south endzone and watched Dunn scamper up the sidelines to my great chagrin.
  14. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +997
    If Muschamp had started Peterman on the road against UT I might question him.

Compared to that, possibly the worst decision in the history of CFB, our coaches are genuine geniuses.
  15. naturedave

naturedave Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +18
    Rant time.....

Why the hell does this come up time after time with young (FR) player after player????

The coaches see them every day in practice. They know their strengths and weaknesses. They know if they know and can execute their assignments with consistency.

The players who the coaches have confidence in play. Period.

You evaluate someone like Taylor or Robinson in the half dozen touches you've seen on TV and then project how they will do in extended minutes or a full offense. Stop it!

The coaches see them every single day, spring practice, two a days... They know who can execute and gives us the best chance to win.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. johnl

johnl Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +544
    You just made 67walkon's point. The coaches are mostly free of criticism by allowing us to believe "they'll play when they're good enough." Keep us waiting because you aren't convinced Taylor's a world beater or flawless with coverage right now but probably isn't sure he's any worse than what we have in Jones.

Brown's the logical leader right now but Kelvin or even Herndon deserve virtually all of Jones's carries. Let Jones carry it for one attempt, or maybe use him as a TE as we've heard he has good hands, not to mention size. He just doesn't look like a RB.

I spoke with Kelvin walking away from the stadium Saturday night. He's a humble, "yes sir, no sir" guy and we talked a little about a game I watched him play when he was in 8th grade. Good convo. Ended with him grinning and he said "mine are coming." Pease seemed to echo this.
  17. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +865
    wow....I have a feeling your going to be deeply depressed when Murphy lights Kentucky up Saturday.

Like they coudn't have put KT in on the next series? Way to F it up for KT, Tyler! lol.

This is especially ironic considering Muschamp said the snap wasn't Tylers fault, and the post above is coming from someone who takes what Muschamp says as gospel.

whatever...
    • Like Like x 1
  18. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +865
    When upper classmen don't excel on the field, it's common sense to want to see if a talented undercalssmen could do better. Your first year following college football, I suppose? Noone was clammoring for any back-ups to see playing time last year at RB when GIlly was lighting up defenses.
  19. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,088
    Not sure I get this. Who exactly is the arbiter here: us or the coaches? Why exactly would they not want to play the best kids? And who do they care about being immune to our criticism? If they win, we can't say too much. If they lose, it doesn't matter who the played. Seems to me these guys want to win games and will put kids in they think will enable them to win.

Jones to tight end? Right. It doesn't matter that he played very well down the stretch last year and was great in spring before getting set back with a viral infection that cost him twenty pounds in two weeks, not to mention all of fall camp. Might as well just pull his scholarship while we are at it.
  20. ufhomerj31

ufhomerj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +143
    As mentioned before, the backup is always better than the starter, until...