1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Taser Death of Graffiti Artist Israel Hernandez-Llach Revives Debate

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator996, Aug 13, 2013.

1. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    The question was "Was there anything else the cops could have done?"

They wouldn't have needed a warrant...
  2. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,890
    O RLY?

Please, tell us more about why they wouldn't have needed a warrant to arrest him in his home.
  3. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +992
    Yep. And subsequently the charges could have also been thrown out completely because there was no additional evidence. We'll never know. I'd rather police apprehend subjects at the scene when possible to increase the chances of charges sticking.

I'm sad the kid died. I grew up involved in hip hop and surrounded by a bunch of graffiti artists. But you can't reasonably expect the police to act differently in this situation.
  4. OB1

OB1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    I choose to take that risk for the sake of being clean, much as I risk getting into a car accident to drive to work to earn a living!

Super talented vandal chose to: vandalize someone else's property, not obey the police officers' orders, run from the police, charge the police.

Stop trying to blame the taser for this kids accidental death. Many people are tased without dying, in fact the vast majority who are tased do not die from it. Can people die from it? Yes, but to try and say they used deadly force is a stretch, it proved deadly to this young man and that is unfortunate.

Had he not made multiple poor at best decisions, the taser would never have been used. His death was an unintended consequence of his actions. Criminals beware if you get tased you have a very, very slight chance it will kill you. do the right thing obey the police officer, do as he requests, it may save your life. If you choose to do otherwise, so be it, you and only you have made that choice!
  5. oaklandroadie

oaklandroadie Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    It. Was. A. Joke.

BTW, painting over the "art" still defaces the platform.

Also love the implication that it is the duty of the law abiding citizen to work harder to make up for the animals that are running wild.
  6. HudsonGator

HudsonGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    There is no such thing as a "graffiti artist," rather there are people who damage other people's property and claim it is art.

The dead young man was a criminal who died trying to avoid arrest, while I feel some sympathy for his family, it is hard for me to feel much sympathy for him.
  7. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +655
    I am still waiting for 996 to address this!

The problem is the answer for 996 and what it means for his argument considering the context of the altercation...
  8. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,469
    You may have noticed that he dodged me on the same basic question for the first three pages of this thread. And I think there is a very strong argument that engaging physically is not better, and probably a worse alternative to tazing. We had a cop here in Tampa a while back (guy was finally convicted last year) who got his gun taken in an altercation and was killed by the perp.
  9. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,469
    Yeah, but I'm willing to bet that without the Graffiti-Bandit hook, this guy is no different and just as anonymous as half the kids at the Art Institute or Full Sail.
  10. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,469
    I can too. Still doesn't mean they were incorrect in their actions or that physical confrontation is a better alternative. Not to be flip (but I will anyway) Rodney King probably wishes he was just tazed and left alone.
  11. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,983
    1. Don't attack the cops. That never goes well. Tazing could be the best outcome you can get. On average.

2. Too many deaths from Tazers... the company needs to look into making them safer.
  12. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +942
    Jean-Michel Basquiat?

Sent from my mind using ESP
  13. wargunfan

wargunfan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    The act of charging at the cops after a foot chase changes the dynamics of the event. If I'm one of those cops and the perp rushes at me in the semi darkness, he's either gonna get a crack on the head with a nightstick or tazed or shot. The use of the tazer in this instance seems like the lesser of three possibilities. Put me with the crowd that thinks this guy caused his own demise by putting himself in the situation in the first place. These "taggers" and "grinders" are sneaky little cowards who know they are breaking the law and trampling on others property rights. Pardon me if I don't shed a tear.
  14. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,469
    Succinct. And to the point. I agree completely on both points.
  15. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +253
    It would matter to me if the cops approached him and immediately shot him with a tazer. However:

"Hernandez-Llach bolted straight at the officers, at which point Officer Jorge Mercado deployed a Taser."

The offense that got him shot with a tazer was bolting straight at the officers, not the graffiti.

You mention elsewhere that one of the main points of the article was that lazy cops were using this as a first resort. Clearly not the case in this example.

The other main point of the article was that tazers were being marketed as "non-lethal" which they are not.
  16. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,181
    The decedent most certainly would have disobeyed the officers' multiple vocal commands to stop and surrender.
  17. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +832
    Bad ass.
  18. MiamiGator79

MiamiGator79 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    Shepherd Fairey and Banksy would probably disagree with you. Miami has become a hub for graffiti artists, many of which are asked or are hired to paint...legally. The problem here is he was committing a crime by illegally painting on a property. A terrible tragedy nonetheless, but it's hard to fault the police in this case...assuming of course their police report is accurate, which I have my doubts considering the number of inappropriate use of force incidents that have occurred recently in Miami.
  19. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,128
    Yeah...I can see that. So, junior, we saw you tagging up some places the other night. You're under arrest. Trust us, we saw you.

If we're being intellectually honest, I seriously doubt you're good with that approach.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,890
    Pssst... plus there's the warrant issue, but it's a secret from 996 :)