Tampa Fires Schiano and GM

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorchamps0607, Dec 30, 2013.

1. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    Shula was on his way out of Baltimore when Joe Robbie made the call. Carroll Rosenbloom got really possesive when he realized he could get a first round pick out of the deal.
  2. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    Shanahan worked out fine for Denver, after Al Davis tossed him.
  3. bionicgator

bionicgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +155
    The age of the meddlesome owner who can't seem to get out of their own way seems to be here to stay. Last week on NFL Network's "A Football Life" they did a segment on Vince Lombardi. One day, Lombardi had the Packers participate in an intra squad game. After the game, members of the ownership group gave him a piece of paper with some suggestions listed on it. Vince Lombardi got the piece of paper, crumpled it up and threw it on the ground... while stating "I'm the coach here". That would never happen today.
  4. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    Yea, I know.... Predictive text/auto correct/etc....you're over analyzing:p
  5. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,909
  6. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,617
    Well, I normally don't bother with 'grammar' posts, and wasn't trying to make something out of nothing--in fact I ignored it at first, then edited it later, after coming back in due to new posts.

Just figured it was wort pointing out, in order to distinguish form OSU mainly.

...and I totally get the auto-FU....'er, auto-correct. ;)
  7. 92gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,617
  8. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,446
    Sorry buddy, but just have to laugh at your second sentence in context of the grammar police topic here. :D
  9. 92gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,617
    Gotta' love the grammar police--*worts* 'n all. :)

(hey, like I said--or alluded to anyway--I almost never play the grammar card--just poor *form*--and this would be a good example of why I usually don't). ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  10. mfpardnor2

mfpardnor2 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,474
    I think Lovie Smith will be just the kind of Coach the Bucs have needed for the last 5 or 6 years
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,125
    I won't quibble on Schiano, but I don't get how you can look at the Dominik's body of work and call him "awful." They drafted very well, got great upgrades in free agency, and completely overhauled a roster from the league's youngest and probably worst to a top 10-15 unit right now. If Tampa had a stable quarterback situation, they might have been in the playoffs the last two years--even with Schiano. Watch the first few games of the season and they were some mercurially bad Freeman performances/first start by Glennon away from opening 3-1.

I only had two legitimate gripes with Dominik. First, they hired Schiano to help mature the young, sloppy, undisciplined group Morris had developed into a somewhat competitive unit. But then they went out and brought in some very pricy veterans with experience, established records, and a desire to win immediately, which essentially undercut the plan of using Schiano as a task master. That doesn't work with vets. They were indecisive as an organization and it left them without material improvement despite a much, much better roster. Second, Dominik made a mistake by trading up to get Freeman, thereby placing far too many expectations on him. The simple fact is that if you spend a first round pick on a quarterback, even a late first rounder, the organization and fanbase expects more from him. Just think how much of a steal Freeman would have looked like after his 2010 season if he were a second rounder? The media would hail Dominik as a genius. Had they selected Freeman in the early second round, though, they not only would have saved another draft pick, but they would not have been as committed to him and given themselves more flexibility in the long run. Instead, the Freeman situation turned into a regular soap opera and they never recovered.
    • Like Like x 2