Talk is cheap...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Jul 16, 2014.

1. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    From SEC media days and here on out until games begin we will likely hear positive words about what our team is about to do. I understand each team has reason for optimism and I know we have reasons for hope, we are healthier, new OC that better fits our qb , and a resolve over a train wreck of a season.

But for me, I prefer little to no talk. I want our team to know words are cheap, actions speak louder. I am still aware of past comments of how better our OL will be, more chemistry, so and so will have a break out season, second year with the same offense, the team has something to prove, yada yada. Until we prove something on the field, I prefer our coaches and players zip the lip and simply prepare to win. I have heard the positive talk for so many pre-seasons that I dismiss it and actually get agitated cause I've heard it all before. Just my view not that anyone else needs to agree.

Let's here who's making plays, who's banged up, who's getting healthier, who's improving their play in practice, there are things to report but to hear "we are better" or "we have great chemistry" or "we are going to score lots of points" or "we are mad and are going to prove nay sayers wrong". They may believe that and hopefully they are right, but don't talk about it, do it. Let our talking be on the field otherwise all the positive talk without results look foolish.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +938
    It's called media days. Do you expect the guys to sit up there with their thumb in their mouth ?
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. gator34654

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    No I do expect on media day for coaches and players to be positive so no issues with that. It's the interviews and reports leading up to kickoff. And it may be just me that would rather the players and coaches be closed mouth and let their actions during games speak. Just expressing my own opinion on this. I'm ok with differing views.
  4. ray_finkle

ray_finkle Member

Ratings Received:
    +45
    So when a microphone is held up to them and they are asked how things are going, you would prefer them say "no
    Is there something in particular that caused you to start this thread? Just curious if somebody said something.
  5. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,070
    Just because we had one bad season in 30 years, players are supposed to change the way things have always been done? It's July, and people are asking them questions, and they're answering them. As long as none say we are going 40-0 I think we are fine.
  6. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +374
    Talk is relevant in this situation. Do the players believe in the system? The coach? Are they ready to fight for their place at the championship table? I think you can take some things from these press conferences. Besides, it gives me something to read.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. gatorcola

gatorcola Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +260
    There are already a lot of complaints about how closed access the team is. Let's not stop all the fan's access to what's going on.
  8. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,564
    I want to hear lots of talk. I want to especially hear what people are seeing in those 8 open practices. I'd love to hear how the off-season team workouts/practices have gone (who is standing out, surprise players, young players excelling, etc). Is the OP suggesting a Nick Saban-esque gag order on the whole team? I'm just glad Franz isn't writing anymore; w/ his write ups you'd think we were the 10 time defending national champs and there's not team within 3 TDs of us this season!
  9. cedarkey_gator11321

cedarkey_gator11321 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    Well, like the Ol, Ball Coach said yesterday, "It's talking season". Football can't start soon enough. I want to see Jeff finally get to work in a system he was meant to.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. gator34654

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    I don't mean to start a hornets nest :) and I am more than fine with disagreement, not claiming I'm right. I don't mind reporters making observations about how practices are going and who's looking good, ect. I guess where this stems from is, in the past, i've heard players, coaches say, we're a closer team, or we're a better team, or we've learned how to protect the qb better having studied our mistakes, or our passing game will be better. Not saying they don't believe that, but having 2 bad years out of three, i would like less players and coaches talking. I thought Lebron and co. looked stupid claiming they would win 5 championships when that didn't happen. I'm sure the believed it but the talk should be on the court. It's not a big deal and its really a mole hill issue, all I'm saying is for me, less talk by players and coaches and more productivity on the field. If we proved something on the field then we have more of a right to talk.

I think we can get a lot of info from reporters and those who attend some practices then hearing players say, we are going to redeem ourselves or we are a much better team now. That may be so but worth more when done on field. A mole hill issue.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. gatorcloud

gatorcloud Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +153
    Out of the mouth of babes. I like hearing what the players have to say.