Talent WAITING on our Team???

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Chosen12395, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Chosen12395

Chosen12395 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +115
    Just read article on Gator Zone about our kicker Velez saying he has been waiting 4 years (obviously he wasn't starting before Sturgis) but perhaps the blessing in this year is that we are finding talent that has been here "waiting" for an opportunity. So that is Murphy, Gilly (last year) and now Velez. Wonder who else is sitting back there?

"I’ve been waiting four years,'' Velez said. "I was starting to doubt myself. I just kept thinking positively and finally got my chance."

Here is link
    http://www.gatorzone.com/story.php?id=26473
  2. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    Gotta give the coaches credit that they gave him a shot! Most coaches in this country would not even look at a walk on kicker. The young freshman we have is very good, but he's not Sturgis!...... Neither is Velez!
  3. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Agreed. It's certainly not the conservative thing to do.
  4. qwghlmgator

qwghlmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +152
    What, pray tell, is your point here? Was he supposed to not be waiting? We want our backups to not want to play?

With 85 scholarship players and even more walkons, a lot of guys don't get to play. Are they not supposed to be waiting? And if they, are do the coaches have to play them or risk your scorn? :roll:
  5. kkg8r

kkg8r Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +250
    Lol. Yes, he clearly was a better kicker than Sturgis.

You guys are hilarious.
  6. Chosen12395

Chosen12395 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +115
    Actually I never said this guy was better than Sturgis! I gave Sturgis as a reference as to why we didn't see him. However with our struggles in the kicking game this year (Coach Champ said it was and "Open Competition"). No kicker on our roster is better than Sturgis was at this point, could they be well that remains to be seen. This kicker made BOTH kicks which are NOT automatic and scored ALL of our points yesterday. We all know that Sturgis put points on the board for us last year. IF Velez continues to score he could be our "Diamond in the Rough" on special teams this year.

Now when Champ got here, he said it every position was OPEN meaning the BEST players would play, which is why I referenced Gilly who was playing behind our scat backs of Rainey and Demps. We all saw what happened when we HAD to trust the backs left...Gilly had an AWESOME season for us!

Concerning Murphy.. I recall posters during the spring (last season) when it was all talk about Brisset and Driskel saying Murphy was playing well during Orange and Blue game. But he sat behind holding on to the clipboard. With KNOWING our O line is sucking and the need to have your back up prepared couldn't we see some promise in him then? (Just a question not trying to bash coaches or players).

Even at Running Back now, although we haven't seen much since the first game from Showers which of us KNEW this kid had such an amazing first step? I for certain didn't. Again the purpose of my post was about TALENT we have on our roster that we just don't know about. I know different people mature and progress at different rates but we are seeing we have people on our team that perhaps could have ALREADY been contributing to the team.
  7. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +744
    Really? 14 of the kickers on top 25 teams in 2010 were walk-ons. Most teams won't use a scholarship on them, but those that do seem to stick with the kicker longer for fear of having wasted it.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +187
    Not so much his focus on defense as his expertise. He has plenty of focus on the offense, but maybe with his lack of experience with offense, he should give them a little less of his focus and a little more freedom to do what they know how to do best?
  9. Chosen12395

Chosen12395 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +115
    But will WE as fans give the team and coaches benefit of not executing well if we play the freshmen?
  10. ametcalf

ametcalf Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    I see what you're sayin'. In regards to finding hidden talent, the last couple of years have brought that out quite a bit. N. Ball to LB, G. Ajagbe(whatever) to FB, V. Showers to HB, etc... It's not just silent guys who are getting shots. We are filling holes and talent is rising to the top...and like Murphy, opportunity due to circumstances. It's just gonna take some time.....I hope.
  11. ametcalf

ametcalf Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    Would love to see Westbrook turn into another Ben Troupe!!
  12. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +187
    I would just like to see more talent rising to the top on offense because the coaches put them in, not because the guy in front of them got hurt.
  13. qwghlmgator

qwghlmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +152
    You guys do realize how pathologically illogical it is to criticize a coaching staff for not playing guys whose talents you have discovered because the coaching staff is playing those guys, right?
  14. kkg8r

kkg8r Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +250
    AHA! Reason! There you are!!
  15. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +386
    Does this mean our best Olinemen are sitting on the bench waiting for their turns?
  16. gator07

Ratings Received:
    +703
    I don't know if thats possible. I think every OL we have sees the field in those jumbo packages. There just aren't that many of them left after that.
  17. Tipmoose

Tipmoose New Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    Not if those coaches are FORCED to play these players only because the ones they would have PREFERRED to play got INJURED.
  18. gator07

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Seems pretty pathologically logical to me.
  19. garygator

garygator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +18
    Can't be much worse than the lack of execution on offense we've been seeing.