Talent at defensive tackle

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by NoahBeanBizzel, Nov 25, 2013.

1. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +470
    I did a little homework on this. Good defensive tackles are obviously worth their weight in gold. NFL talent at tackle is synonymous with competing at the highest level. Check out the most recent national champions, and the talent they had at the position. These are the starters for each team during their runs:

2001 Miami: Matt Walters (5th rd. 2003 draft) and Will Joseph (1st rd. 2003 draft)
    2002 Ohio State: Kenny Peterson (3rd rd. 2003 draft) and Tim Anderson (3rd rd. 2004 draft)
    2003 LSU: Chad Lavalais (5th rd. 2004 draft) and Kyle Williams (5th rd. 2006 draft)
    2004 USC: Mike Patterson (1st rd. 2005 draft) and Shaun Cody (2nd rd. 2005 draft)
    2005 Texas: Rod Wright (1st team AA, 7th rd. 2006 draft) and Frank Okam (5th rd. '08 draft)
    2006 Florida: Ray Mac (3rd rd. '07 draft), Joe Cohen (4th rd. '07 draft), Steve Harris (made NFL roster)
    2007 LSU: Glen Dorsey (1st rd. '08 draft) and Marlon Favorite (saw time in NFL camps)
    2008 Florida: Terron Sanders and Lawrence Marsh (neither made NFL rosters)
    2009 Alabama: Terrence Cody (2nd round '10 draft); backup Josh Chapman (5th rd. '12 draft), DE Brandon Deaderick is an NFL defensive tackle
    2010 Auburn: Nick Fairley (1st rd. 2011 draft) and Mike Blanc (saw time in Steelers camp)
    2011 Alabama: Josh Chapman (5th rd. '12 draft) and DE Jesse Williams (5th rd. 2013 draft)
    2012 Alabama: Jesse Williams (5th rd. 2013 draft)

So, you can see the significance of having NFL talent at the tackle position. That doesn't include the other top teams during (those who played for and lost the title game) those seasons, and the talent they possessed at the position. Alabama's defense is a bit different from some of the other groups schematically, so those numbers don't necessarily reflect the talent that they've really had across the defensive line. Essentially their ends handle a lot of the same responsibilities that tackles in a base 4-3 defense do, with pressure generally being applied from the back 7/8.

Ironically, only Florida's '08 national championship team failed to produce and NFL tackle; however both Marsh and Sanders played good, hard-nosed ball for a tough defense. This season figures to be no different, with the top two teams appearing to be 'Bama and FSU, both possessing NFL prospects at the position-Jernigan almost certainly will go in the first round.

We saw the devastating impact of losing Easley. We also saw the success that having great defensive tackles brought Florida last season. Unfortunately, Florida figures to be only average to above-average at the position next fall, and will be relying on a lot of young bodies to provide meaningful snaps at the position.
  2. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +463
    Torrey Davis would have been an NFL tackle had he kept his grades up. Remember that he saved a TD against OU. So I wouldn't quite call 2008 an anomaly.
  3. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +894
    Good research. Controlling the LOS and pass rush can break an otherwise good offense. But no doubt, DT/DL is crucial.

I would be curious to see NFL numbers at other positions for those teams. Usually the NC team produces NFL prospects at key positions.

What did TD do when he left? He did not complete enough academically to play, or did not play long enough to develop?
  4. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +622
    I wouldn't write off Bostwick and especially Brantley by 2015. Next yr. will be a learning curve, but we have talent. That's why I think it sucks those 2 didn't get to play this yr.
  5. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +615
    I was surprised that Marsh didn't make the NFL - big dude. If Easley stays healthy he could be the best Gator DT since Ellis Johson.
  6. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +470
    I'm not writing off anybody. I am saying that I'll be surprised if anyone of Bostwick, Ivie, Riles or Brantley does anything more than provide reps to give the starters a breather. Typically it takes a couple of years for young defensive tackles to learn how to use their hands and get of blocks-especially in the SEC. Every year we get excited about guys like Ronald Powell, Bryan Cox, Alex McCallister, etc...only to realize that tools and a nice frame only get you so far. It takes a special talent to contribute at a high level early.

I think the best option for a major impact at the position is Bullard. He has the ability to be special as a tackle, in my opinion. Give him another year in the weight room and about 5-10 more pounds, and he'll rock out next year. But that will depend on how comfortable the staff feels with the newer guys being able to hold their own at end.

Orr and Cummings are decent, but tend to disappear and have often been non-factors on key drives in several losses. Unless somebody really steps up, I doubt you see significant improvement next season at the position.
  7. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +894
    They have to play bigger than that. Who are the starters next year- Orr, Cummings, Bullard, DFJr? It has to happen.

Yeah, have to have some players step up.
  8. jimzgator

jimzgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +689
    Cant remember if it was AS that said this , but Clark looks to be better from the 14 group then Brantley and Bostwick. Numbers look to be better there. Riles is one that may surprise and do well also. JC DT Jarren Reed would have been a good one. He was suppose to be better then Cummings and Jacobs. Another position that really needs a stud or two would be DE. Not sure how McAllister or Cox, is going to turn out, but know they didnt come in as hyped as Bullard or Fowler. If we dont get Carter this year were going to be hurting for more pass rush in the future.
  9. gunit31

gunit31 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    It was the difference between last year and this season. We had enough talent to rotate 4 guys 2 deep. This year we didn't have that after Easley went down. And that includes LB. And there you have it. A difficult season to say the least. It is imperative we land more DL talent. And WM is going to need at least 2 years to get things back on track I'm afraid after all the injuries this year. This recruiting class is very important. Hope it finishes strong.
  10. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +188
    I always feel pretty good about the season when we have All SEC caliber DT's....I knew losing Hunter and Floyd this season would hurt us "up the gut"