1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Taking Network+ tomorrow

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by ValdostaGatorFan, Sep 2, 2013.

1. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,070
    I have a little knowledge with Server 08/12 and Active Directory but not sure if I'm a great source for knowledge on it. As far as Cisco goes, you can use something we already mentioned in this thread Packet tracer or something similar. It would give you a little head start.
  2. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,148

You will probably really like the command line stuff, I know I did even if I would forget it from day to day. When I was young I had a mind like a steel trap but today it's more like a sieve. I put stuff in it and then it kind of flows back out. Like 0607 said, don't forget Packet Tracer as it is a great way to practice with the CL on switches and routers.
  3. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +3,070
    Pulling this thread from the pit to update.. I got a job at a PC company so I had a little delay but I just passed my Network+ cert today with an 827.

Valdosta, have you gotten into a company yet and if so, what types of jobs did you look for to start off with?
  4. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +257
    Congrats. I'm working for a really big paper company with a paper mill here. I work the help desk. Answer all the employees calls about PC issues and fix em, manage the company issued smart phones, order stuff to keep the IT lab stocked with supplies, etc. It's a foot in the door, don't want to be help desk forever.

It's a cool place. My job is pretty high paced, time flies. I just got in my ICND1 and ICND2 study guide books and DVD. I'm going to try and get my CCNA. IMO, if someone can pass the Net+, they shouldn't have trouble with passing ICND1. .. but ICND2 is another story, lol.

What will you be doing?
  5. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +3,070
    Well right now I work as a PC Tech at a computer shop and I was working from home. Its a long story but basically she kept my job while I couldnt get my kid in daycare and had someone that she wanted to fire holding down my job. Well, shes tired of him and finally gave me the $4 raise I needed to be able to comfortably put my kid in daycare and come back and work inside the shop. (I know you didnt ask about that sorry for rambling)

Anyway, I plan on taking Security+ next but also want to start studying for CCNA as well. I hear getting CCENT is fairly close to Net+ but with a lot more knowledge of Cisco equipment. I should only need to study for a few weeks to be able to get Sec+ as I already have Microsofts less intensive version of a Security cert.

Ultimately, I want to move onto CISSP and/or become a CPT (Penetration tester)
  6. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +257
  7. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,148
    Glad to see both of you moving along in your careers. I have little doubt that my career would have been in some related field if computers had been prevalent when I was younger.

Best of luck to you both!
    • Like Like x 3