Taking Network+ tomorrow

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by ValdostaGatorFan, Sep 2, 2013.

1. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,239
    Are they using any particular brand or do you know?
  2. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +221
    Not sure. What do you have in mind?
  3. gatorfansrule

gatorfansrule Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +208
    Set them up with an OpenDNS account and change their DNS settings to point to OpenDNS.
  4. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,239
    I'm not familiar with other routers and switches since what I worked on was Cisco stuff. Was going to think about it though. However what gatorfansrule said may be a very easy approach.
  5. ValdostaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +221

Yeah, what he's talking about is what I was talking about, I just couldn't think of the name service... OpenDNS, that's the one. I guess I'll get dhcp to update all that stuff.
  6. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,711
    Why not just block them on the router? If this is a server environment you can also use a group policy and implement it for all users.
  7. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,239
    That was my first thought and the reason I asked if he knew what kind of equipment they were using. I was able to write those kind of commands for a Cisco router but it's been awhile so I would have to go back and study it again. Good thing to practice on Packet Tracer.

It's all about deny and/or allow.
  8. ValdostaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +221
    I'm not sure if they have a server or if it's P2P. The first I'm going to do is check the router and see if it has a web interface, and then see if I can block them from there like you said.
  9. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,711
    Forgot to mention this but you can also simply route facebook and youtube to your loopback address via the hosts file.
  10. ValdostaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +221
  11. ValdostaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +221
    I have a question..

A friend just started a business and has about 10 employees. Each employee has a computer. He expects to grow to 20 twenty employees, so we will assume there will be 20 computers on this network. He wants to set up a server and have everyone log in. There are 10 to 15 computers hooked up to two switches. There is one computer using an AP. There are 3 divisions of employees that are in phone sales. Everyone has an IP phone.

I have an ISO of Windows Server 2008 R2 on a jump drive that I'm going to use as a domain controller. How much should I charge to set up all these user accounts and join them to a domain?? I really have no idea?

He recently bought a DVR security system and he had it hooked it up. It had an ethernet connection and a built in web server. He wanted to know how much I'd charge to make it accessible from anywhere through the internet. I charged him $20. I just came in and set up the DVR and then port forwarded it through the router (He has a static IP from his ISP). What do people charge/pay for that kind of thing?
  12. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,711
    I would go with an hourly rate that takes into consideration your location. I don't live in Gville so I wouldn't know the cost of living or cost of business around there so it will depend on that. It will also depend on what you think your time is worth. Also, if you're setting it up, they probably expect you to troubleshoot and provide maintenance or fix problems that come up. Don't do that for free. (assuming its not completely obvious you are at fault).

Don't go with a flat rate because you may run into problems and end up spending more time on the project than what its worth. Generally somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 an hour give or take 25-50 bucks depending on the variables I mentioned above.

Just make sure you setup everyone with absolutely no access to anything. Explicit DENY! Create the user via Active Directory and give them no permissions whatsoever. Give each division their own OU so that its nice and organized. Make sure you get a detailed report on which user belongs to which division and what the user absolutely needs to get their job done. Once you know what each employee needs on the network, you can begin to give them permissions to shared folders, drives.. etc etc.

I would also consider prohibiting internet access to any website that is not necessary. This is especially important if you are the one they call to fix their problems or get rid of a rootkit that someone downloaded because they had too much access for no good reason. That is up to your friend and how he wants to run his company though.

It would also be smart to document everything you've done, what permissions you gave to whom and create some type of Systems Manual for yourself and the owner.

Give this a good look too, you will get a lot of good information that will help you create an effective domain:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526617.aspx
    • Like Like x 2
  13. gatorfansrule

gatorfansrule Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +208
    I would say you should charge something like $50/hr. I don't know your skills or experience but I'm guessing you are more towards the beginner side. Your friend could get someone with tons of experience doing this type of thing for $100/hr, so I don't think you should price yourself anywhere near that figure.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,239
    If I understand correctly you made a service call for $20. To me that is putting yourself into a bad situation for the future and setting a precedence that you probably don't want. A service call needs to have a decent return or you'll have people wanting you to run all over the place and you won't be making much of anything. What you charge for those kind of things will be up to you but gas, wear and tear on your vehicle, along with time and experience all come into play. Just keep in mind you are not only charging for what you can do, you are charging for what you know how to do. Experience and knowledge are worth real money.
  15. ValdostaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +221
    That's what I planned on. Thanks. I may also be setting up a mail server.

No, I'm no where near that figure... but I want to be! Yeah, I'm more towards the beginner's side.

Yeah, I kind of feel the same way. I was going to ride by his office on the way I way to where I was going, so I didn't see at too big of a deal to stop by. One of the big reasons I stopped by is since the last time I was there, someone has come in and installed two switches and the router had been switched out. That told be he has already had someone in there working on stuff. I'm trying to get his business and start working on a resume. It's tough because not only am I trying to set a price to make money, I'm trying to set one to insure I get chosen over the other guy to do it.
  16. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,239
    I totally understand where you are coming from but sometimes when you deal with people who seem to be more concerned with price than they do quality of work it's a dead end street for you. And in reality them too. If you go in with the idea you will undercut the other guy to get the job you're missing, what I consider, the most important thing. That is selling them on the idea of your ability, honesty, reliability, and long-term stick with it intentions. Make sure you emphasize cheaper is not necessarily better and if he keeps allowing various people to work on his equipment because one is cheaper than the other he's asking for serious troubles over the long haul.

You'll be OK just don't let them beat you down on price in order to get the job. The old saying is "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right" comes into play here.

I had a guy not long ago ask me if I would work on his computer for free because he was low on money. This is while he was smoking a cigarette and drinking a beer. My answer was "no." I didn't spend time and money learning to do something so I could go out and do it for free. And although I didn't tell him it was obvious he would spend his money one what he wanted but wanted to be given some break because we were casual friends. Doesn't work that way.

Close family members or my best friends are the only ones I make exceptions for and believe it or not they are the ones who never ask me for a price break.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,711
    Yeah that hourly figure was on the high end for a consultant that has a lot of experience but it would also depend on where you are. For a place with high income/high cost of living, I don't think that number is that far off even for a beginner. He is bringing a lot of productivity by setting up a network the right way. If this only takes 4 hours, 400 bucks isn't a bad price to setup a DC, mail server and active directory. Im sure there will also be some cable running at some point as well especially if this thing needs to be setup to expand easily.
  18. ValdostaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +221
    Update.. I got an internship with the county's IT department. It's cool so far. In March I'm going to take the Security+ and 2 of the 3 exams for the MCSA: Server 08.. I'm not worried about the Sec+, but does anyone have experience with the NCAA? @gatorchamps0607 , @Gatorhall ?
  19. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,239
    That's good to hear. Congratulations on landing the internship. Wish I could help you on what you asked about but I am not familiar with it.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. ValdostaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +221
    Thanks. Haha, I see my autocorrect kicked in at the end of my last post (MCSA, not NCAA) . Basically, certifying my skills with Microsoft Server 08/Active Directory. The network admin at my internship said she was going to teach me how to configure Cisco switches through the command line. Exciting stuff!