Taking Network+ tomorrow

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by ValdostaGatorFan, Sep 2, 2013.

1. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +227
    Hey guys, I'm taking my Network+ exam tomorrow, had a few questions if anyone has taken it lately..

Is there any subnetting/CIDR questions?

Do I have to do any hex/dec/binary conversions?

Thanks
  2. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,733
    I've taken some practice tests that were pretty much the exam and there aren't a ton of subnetting questions out there. You will probably have anywhere between 0-5. Literally you could have no subnetting questions.

I don't specifically recall binary conversions but the same applies as above.

You're going to want to know OSI model, cable ratings/distances, connector types, well-known ports, be familiar with NAT/PAT, protocols (mainly will show up as an acronym) and their ports, firewalls, routers, switches and all the other hardware(obviously).

I would suggest a few things before tomorrow, I don't know if you ever heard of ProfessorMesser.com but he has some really good FREE videos on CompTia A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+ and Microsoft 70-680 (windows 7 configuration).

Also, I don't normally encourage people to use dumps, but since you have already studied and the test is tomorrow, I would go to www.examcollection.com and look for the Net+ dump. The practice tests posted there are usually close to 100% accurate as far as the real questions you'll see on the test.

Good luck :)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ValdostaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +227
    Thanks! I got 27 out of 30 on the CompTIA's practice test. Pretty familiar with Nat/pat, OSI model, might need to brush up on router protocols. I've used Professor Messor before, good stuff. Thanks again!
  4. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,733
    I'd really look into studying a "dump" tonight.

These are actual questions you'll see on the test. Most dumps come with hundreds of questions. You may need a VCE program to run them if you don't already have one.

Download the file on here, get the VCE program and if you can answer these questions easily, you will pass.
  5. ValdostaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +227
    Nice, big help!
  6. ValdostaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +227
  7. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,733
    Congrats, now its time to update all your resumes assuming you have them on places like career builder, linked in etc etc.
  8. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,426
    Congratulations. I've had 4 semesters of Cisco but never set for a test.
  9. ValdostaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +227
    Thanks guys, Securtity+ and A+ are next.

Hall, how did you like the Cisco classes? I really want my CCNA, but I have to make a really long trip to another campus, my campus has Microsoft classes in place of the ciscos.
  10. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,426
    I really liked them but they were tough. Of course I am 63 and just finished them up about a year ago so it would be easier on you because you are familiar with much of what is covered. It would have been a lot easier on me had I been younger. I don't have a problem learning but I do have a problem remembering it just a few days later so it was endless study for me. Still, I made good grades and received my certificates. Doubt I will ever use them for anything though. They were part of the requirements for some other classes I was taking.
  11. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,733
    Aside from reading the book, its best if you can set up some sort of Cisco lab yourself. You can find cheap semi-outdated cisco hardware on ebay and stuff and you can learn by trial and error.
  12. ValdostaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +227
    Cool. I wonder how much of it's command line, not too familiar with that yet
  13. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,426
    I had quite a bit of command line. I also had a classroom with routers, switches, and the like which was a big plus. Cisco has a software program called Packet Tracer which is really awesome. Allows you to set up networks in simulation. That includes everything from picking the right one to connections and then command line work. This would include protocols and many other things. They moved to a new site not long ago and I provided the link. I don't know if you can see the Packet Tracer link without signing in.

If I were younger and didn't mind moving there is no doubt I would have pursued it further. My understanding is you can make a very good living in it.

https://www.netacad.com/home
  14. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,733
    Hall I just downloaded Packet Tracer and so far I think its awesome.

How much knowledge do you think you gained from it? Im going to use it to study for CCENT.

Also, do you recall any specific things you did in class that may be useful?
  15. ValdostaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +227
    Interested as well. I'll have to try Packet Tracer. I used a site, Testout.com, to study for the Net+. It comes with videos, labs, and exams. They may offer something for CCENT
  16. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,733
    Definitely get it. I've been playing around with it nearly all day. It's awesome when you can set up some switches, a router, create the DHCP server and get 2 different networks "talking" to eachother. Its also really good for learning the Cisco Command line.
  17. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,426
    Guys, I think I still have all of my labs from Cisco. I'll try to dig them out and give you some idea of things we did with PT. Don't know if I will get to it before the weekend is out but I won't forget (I don't think). If I haven't posted something by Tuesday shoot me a PM and remind me.
  18. agigator

agigator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Not sure how good the newer version of Sybex virtual lab is with the newer version of CCNA but I used this back in 2000 and it seemed pretty good. Of course, I don't remember there being any actual router commands on the CCNA test. It was more general questions about routing protocols, ISDN, and frame relay, etc.

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/Wiley...,miniSiteCd-SYBEX,descCd-tableOfContents.html
  19. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,426
    This is an idea of one of the later labs we had to do. There is quite a few pages that accompany this and rules on setting up the network as well as objectives. I don't think I am doing a copyright infringement here but if I find out it is I'll have to take it down.

As far as command line goes if you don't know the commands then you would be lost in setting up the network properly.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  20. ValdostaGatorFan

Ratings Received:
    +227
    A guy wants me to come to his business and block Facebook and Youtube access. I was thinking if they have a dhcp server, that I could replace the their dns address to a dns that blocks those pages. My school uses Barracuda web filter, so that's an option. Any suggestions?

About the dns route.. Id have to look for it, but I found a server that you list the sites you want to block, so the filter is basically there.

I'm not familiar with the network layout. From what I've heard from an employee, half are on switches/hubs, half are on APs. The ones using the APs use their personal laptops