Taking emotion out of it & giving the devil his due

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by SavageGator, Apr 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +598
    Haha - well it was a nice try.

No, I didn't attend UK. I got both my degrees from a private school 20 miles down the road from UK. I came to Kentucky for college and have stuck around since (2000) - although that ends in a couple weeks. When arriving in Kentucky, I had no allegiances to any college team. I entered after Tubby had won his first title. I'm not a fan that experienced even a final four until after Cal arrived. I started going to midnight madness when I was in college and got hooked pretty quickly. I'm not a bandwagon fan, as I knew little enough about college basketball when starting to watch Kentucky that I was unaware of the status they held outside my little exposure to them.

Do tell me (and make it as condescending as possible too), am I eligible to be a fan? Maybe you can "explain" to me why I'm not as much a fan as you. You couldn't have been less convincing in your first attempt - so I'd try something different.

Somehow you must have assumed that I said I didn't see why people didn't like Cal - but I didn't say that, did I? I'm assuming, due to the tenor of your post, that you went to UF (and graduated!). Apparently reading comprehension (or tact) wasn't emphasized in whatever you spent your time studying. Let me "explain" this to you. I understand many reasons why Cal wouldn't be liked. What I stated is that I don't see why his approach requires demonization. Criticism is one thing, so is having a personal preference that is different, but the degree to which people go above and beyond with, often, inaccurate generalizations is comical and adds nothing to the discussion.

Also lost in the many assumptions you made about it is the fact that, for most of my time being a Kentucky fan, I cheered for a coach that did things close to exactly the same way Billy does. The ability for me to picture "the shoe being on the other foot" actually isn't even required - as most of my college basketball fanhood experience has been related to following the traditional model for building a team. I CAN picture how I'd feel about some slick, arogant coach who comes along and recruits primarily elite players who leave early for the NBA. Guess what? I might not like him, I may even dislike him, but I'd have no problem with him trying whatever he wanted to within the rules of the system. If other people wanted to cheer for that - fine. I wouldn't have to lower it to feel better about what I cheer for. You obviously cant' say the same.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,271
    Yeah he's only left two programs with sanctions but he's never had any issues with the ncaa.
  3. Killer_Rabbits

Killer_Rabbits Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    Has a Billy D team ever vacated a Final Four? Your coach has vacated two, at different schools. You can frame it how you want, but twice -- two out of two at different places? C'mon, man. The stink comes from the poop, imo.

Seriously, y'all did the same thing with the drunken coach, blocking out reason, making yourself believe. Now another coach with a checkered past, but, hey, at least he is winning! Yeah, winning!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,271
    Are you serious?
  5. oldawgblue

oldawgblue Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    I'm suddenly reminded of my ol' buddy Jerry Jeff Walker's song -

6. oldawgblue

oldawgblue Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    Yes.
  7. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,271
    Then you are the ideal spokesman for being NAIVE
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,271
    That song choice makes perfect sense for a Kentucky fan.
  9. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat <font color=blue>Respected Rival</font>

Ratings Received:
    +604
    I think the Harrison's, and Johnson are staying...along with our other freshmen...Lee, Willis, and Hawkins obviously not talented enough but 3-4 yr players. Our new kids coming in our not going to come right in and burn it up...this will be a year they don't have to. All of our incoming freshmen are not one and dones...I think they are all multiple year guys.

Calipari will do what he always says who ever practices the best will play. I think WCS, Young, and Randle leave although it wouldn't shock me to see one of those stay. My best guess is
    Harrison
    Harrison
    Ulis
    Hawkins
    Booker
    Willis
    Lee
    Towns
    Johnson
    Poythress

Jeff
  10. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +598
    Obviously, and I'm sure you see this, he's suggesting Cal has never been implicated by the NCAA or anyone with proof of anything.
  11. dailydoublecat

Ratings Received:
    +604
    I supported Gillispie until after the first year when a player wanted to come back to use the practice facility and he said no!

Whether you like it or not the damn goal is winning! This is a business, a big business this isn't the damn YMCA.

Jeff
  12. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,271
    I agree they'll leave. All three are very high picks.
  13. dailydoublecat

Ratings Received:
    +604
    No doubt and they honestly should GO! I would be upset if they did come back especially Randle.

Jeff
  14. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,271
    No i'm just not blinded by winning to believe a coach doesn't know when his players are being paid or that they are being given academic privileges in the form of grades/tests. 2 different programs!!!!
  15. oldawgblue

oldawgblue Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    Words have weight or meaning. Blame means "assign responsibility for a wrong." JC was cleared of any responsibility for the UMass and UM infractions. If you have a fact to the contrary, after investigation and scrutiny, please let me know. Not your feeling, not your opinion, but a fact of record. I can give an opinion that "BD must have known Teddy Dupay was gambling on games" ('tho I don't believe it for a minute), or that numerous misdeeds by UF football players must have been known by the coaches, but in the interest of fairness I don't. Naive, perhaps. Stupid, no.
  16. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,100
    He recruited them to be 1 and Dones, and the ones that stayed got recruited over
  17. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,271
    Gambling and being paid/given grades are two very different things. Being cleared and not having evidence doesn't equate innocence. GOGGLES MY FRIEND!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,100
    We know UK fans disliked him when he coached Memphis, and said the exact same thing folks are saying here

And many of them were very unhappy with his shtick this year, until the post season
  19. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +598

He had one player take money from an agent - something your own coach worries about.

He had another player get cleared and deemed eligible by the NCAA - was only later, retroactively, deemed ineligible. The SAT was before entering college, obviously. The things you're suggesting have not been accusations made against Cal.
  20. oldawgblue

oldawgblue Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    I certainly hope you're never summoned to jury duty.
    __
    "We know UK fans disliked him when he coached Memphis."

You're correct. I burned all my UK gear in the driveway when he was named coach. I had read all the stuff - crooked, slimy, used-car salesman, shady, ad nauseam . . . believed it. After some research into his record I changed my mind. No facts to support any of it. He wasn't, maybe isn't my choice . . . but it wasn't mine to make. But I'm now convinced he doesn't deserve all the grief he gets.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.