Taking back our own state!?

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by StrangeGator, Jun 4, 2018.

1. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,993
    That's often the battle cry when a new recruiting cycle begins. But is that realistic coming off a losing season and several years of mediocrity. Florida kids and coaches are more aware of this than anyone. Looking at this list, I'm having a hard time imaging UF coming in any higher than third place in the Florida high school recruiting sweepstakes. Out of the top ten from this group, I see us getting one, maybe two. Going through the top fifty, I can only see five or six more. There just aren't many players showing more than moderate interest in UF. Of course this will all change once the Gators start winning games but it looks like we're starting from way behind the pack. On the plus side, we're looking pretty good out of state.

Someone please post at length telling me why I'm wrong.

Rivals.com
  2. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,641
    It's not looking good. We likely get 4 or 5 of the top 50 Florida kids. FSU already has 7 commits in the top 50 and a good shot at another 4 or 5. Miami has 5 committed w/ a shot at 3 or 4 more. Clemson has 2. We have zero committed.

I don't like that a lot of them are IMG kids who are not really from Florida. If you throw those out, we are going to get 3 or 4 of the top 40 (hopefully).

The kids I see us possibly getting (we likely get 4 or 5 of this group): Sanders (IMG), Elam, Zipperer, Hunter, Hammond (IMG), Putnam and Summerall.

We're in on a bunch that are ranked 100+ though.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,612
    I see many that have interest in UF. Even moderate interest can turn into a commitment.

Along with several out of state stars well be ok.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +5,993
    I think we'll have one of our best out of state hauls in years. We're under a microscope in Florida. Outside of the region, we're a great SEC program. Who doesn't want to play in the SEC these days.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +5,993
    I'd be ecstatic to get five out of that seven. Would love it if Hammond and Sanders were a package. Didn't we get two of Emmitt's OL from Escambia?
  6. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,641
    Hunter Rayburn? He's an OL from Pensacola HS (not Escambia), ranked 85th in the state. He's being pushed by Jimbo at A&M, but the way Jimbo is recruiting Rayburn may be the odd man out (A&M just got a 5-star OL commit).

Rayburn's teammate, Adrian Medley is ranked even lower, #122 in the state...but he's CB'd to FSU.
  7. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,612
    I could be mistaken...but to me it sounds like he's using Emmitt and OL that he played with as one example of a package deal that worked for us.

If I'm way off then my apologies. I'm in the process of driving from North Carolina back down to Florida for a few days so my attention span is very limited. LOL
  8. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,319
    This is important because a 2* kid from Dade County is usually equal to or better than a 4* kid from anywhere else other than Louisiana, Georgia or Texas.

In fact, the Gators pretty much lost Florida after the Pell Debacle. It was that which made FSU and Miami start getting the kids who used to be Gators.

Of course, until Spurrier, Gator teams were never very well coached up, and without Coaching, a team full of 99* will be pretty mediocre, as has been shown over and over and over again all over the nation.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +478
    lacedrick says thanks.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,510
    The facts are the facts. FSU Head coach spent many years at USF and is a great recruiter pushing the black kids need good mentors and role models message to parents, kids, ... he already knows all the HS coaches in the State well.

Richt and his assistants coached at FSU, UGA, and know all the HS coaches on bot States well. Miami player and grad. Took advantage of coaching turnover at FSU and UF

Dan brought almost entire staff from MSU. They were not major players in the State of Florida for recruits. They don’t know the HS coaches well. While true that Dan, Billy and Jon were at UF a decade earlier, they are not well connected to the State at this time with players, parents and HS coaches. It will take time to develop relationships and you hear all the HS players talking of getting to know coaches during visits. When you look back at Dan’s time at UF, Urban did not have him playing a major recruiting role. Dan learned that at MSU, but now has a coaching staff of former top recruiters or recruiting coordinators. Weakest recruiter on staff is our OL coach. Hevesy appears to like to recruit white OL over higher ranked black OL types
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,641
    6 of our 10 assistants are black.....

I agree that he brought too many of his Miss State staff w/ him. But all I'm hearing is excuses, excuses, excuses....
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,646
    Ro
    bert Stevenson was an online of Emmits but he went to tally
  13. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,129
    Seriously, did you even watch the 83-85 teams? First SEC championship and Number 1 rankings ever. Put the worst beatdown ever on a team that went on the win a NC. You never let the facts get in the way of your empiricist opinions. Oh yeah, a NC from some respected media as well. A NC that Bama would be claiming, had they received it.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,504
    Those teams were bad ass, and well coached. The '84 team would have beaten any team in the country by the end of the season, no doubt about it.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  15. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,577
    By 10 points, minimum.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. rwjgator

rwjgator Recruit

Ratings Received:
    +4
    To the original posters point, it seems to me that the last several years we have seen some of the best talent coming out of the Alabama, Georgia, and Missipppi regions. I haven't done a thorough analysis, but anecdotely Alabama and Georgia are as strong as they've been in recent memory and the big three Florida schools at the margin have been down slightly from their dominance in the 90s. Is it possible that it will help us pull a few more from these other regions?
  17. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,958
    I think you are wrong for using Rivals rankings. ;)

I've also seen reports from UF sites that say Mullen is following more of a "Recruit them where they are," ala Meyer's national approach rather than a "We need to own Florida" approach.

I think you are making a great point that Mullen and most of his staff do not have a lot deep recruiting relationships in Florida. Mullen left in '08 along with Billy G and most high school programs have had a lot of coaching turnover since then. Recruiting is all about relationships and a staff coming in from out of state that has not recruited Florida a lot is going to need some time to get to know and gain the trust of high school staffs in the state.

I am very hesitant to make any comments about how the racial background of a coaching staff effects recruiting because I honestly have no clue about it. The only distinction I would point out in regards to your post is the fact that assistant coaches on staffs often come and go for one reason or another, so they are not viewed as being as permanent as a head coach. Obviously that is dependent on the head coach being successful.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +548
    I see us having a shot at Bogle, Dunmore, Stevenson, Davis, Williams, and Fuller while a bunch of highly ranked guys on that list (e.g. McIntosh, Sorrells, and McRae) we are not interested in. We have recruited extensively out of the state because of some needs that can't be met in state (TE, OL, QB, LB, DT, SDE), so I won't cry about how the coaches are doing in state, considering the lack of relationships they brought into this class in comparison with the staffs of Florida State, Miami and Clemson.
  19. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,319
    Simply speaking, last year, 9 of 18 LOIs (50%) were from Florida, and this year so far, 5 of 9 commits are from Florida.

Meanwhile only 9 of 21 Nole LOIs (43%) were from Florida, although for Miami, it was 17 of 22 LOIs (77%), so, I guess that one could argue that Miami, which has rarely recruited elsewhere than Florida, except in the ole days when they frequently took kids from Pennsylvania (especially LBs), controls the State of Florida.

Admittedly, USF (22/26 - 85%) and UCF (10/19 - 55%) were higher than UF.

So, I guess this is Taking the State back from USF, Miami and UCF, Huh???

Simple fact of recruiting, any type of recruiting, Everyone, and I mean Everyone, does better locally than at distance, and proximity's positive effect gradually dissipates as distance grows greater (e.g. Miami has less influence in Pensacola than in Orlando. UF has less influence in Ft Meyers than in Hillsborough, FSU has less influence in Miami-Dade than in Pensaola.

This is a universal truth of all recruiting, whether it be Academic, Athletic, Music, Theatre, Engineering, Business, Medicine, Culinary training, etc., etc.. I've run immense statistical analyses that show this very clearly everywhere.

So, really, the title is a bit misleading, although I guess it speaks of 5* prospects rather than Incredible 3*/4* prospects.
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  20. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,183
    Well, would you say OSU, Clemson and Bama hand pick who they want from Florida every year?

Taking back the state means not allowing that. Georgia doing pretty well too.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1