Take it from a former Division I athlete: College sports are like Jim Crow

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Ahab, Jan 11, 2018.

1. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +8,553
    Yeah, because a player or who doesn't attend film study and learn the playbook, and build strength and try his hardest totally gets to keep his scholarship.Perhaps you didn't know but a scholarship is not a 4 year guarantee and if a recruit takes a gamble on a school, the school should reciprocate but that is not the NCAA rules. They can revoke the scholarship for any reason including play.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sport...be_yanked_after_one_year_for_any_reason_.html

The point is hyperbolic but totally correct.

However Florida recruits, take note:

It is now, by a supermajority vote, totally legal to offer 4 year guarantees (it previously used to be against the rules to offer 4 years believe it or not for a level playing field) but schools like LSU, FSU and Bama DO NOT, as a matter of course give them, even though they could. Think about that when making your decision.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,711
    I absolutely think the NFL and NBA should offer a non-academic path to their leagues- like baseball does.

But once they do, then college sports needs to be for college students. 3 years minimum for all sports. Again like baseball.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +489
    I like the baseball rules too.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. WESGATORS

WESGATORS GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +8,167
    I think you would find a lot of athletes longing for the current system over the minor league system; ask any minor baseball player how the glamour of minor leagues compares to campus life. Same thing would happen for football. People have a passion for college football because it's a college sport and there's a connection. I don't think regional football teams would thrive the way they have in other countries (soccer).

The NBA has a D-League and there are other leagues overseas. College basketball players cannot make the "no other options" excuse. I think the two Ball brothers are perfect examples of this. International football leagues are less popular, but they exist as well. Not sure I've ever heard of a college football player leaving to go play internationally, but I think that speaks more to the point of how well they have it made over here.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
    • Like Like x 1
  5. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +647
    I say give all full scholarship athletes a maximum of $800-$1500 per month. If a university and its boosters can't afford or just won't spend that much they can pay less, but they know they probably won't compete for championships if they do that. It's a bidding war now for athletes. We all know some recruits go to some colleges because they or their families are getting money, etc. outside of what the NCAA actually allows, so just come out and do it in the open.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  6. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +647
    There was a Gator QB, I think his last name was Kines, who left UF after his jr. season to become a Rhodes Scholar. He probably would've been the starter his sr. year and Doug Dickey had to use Terry LeCount as his QB.
  7. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +647
    I would also allow athletes to receive royalties for using their likenesses, jerseys with their name and number on them, etc. Put it in an interest bearing account and let them receive the money after they finish playing their "amateur" sport.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +647
    I refuse to pay for TV except for the TV itself. I watch most of the sports events by streaming them or at a sports bar, mainly at a sports bar. My average tab for a Gator game at a sports bar is $25-$40 per game, including about a 30% tip. I think it's cheaper than cable by far and it's more fun too!!! I might do Netflix soon, it's probably worth it, but I haven't yet.
  9. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +647
    It should also be that if a coach wants to remove a player from a team to open up a spot for another player that athlete still gets a 4 year scholarship, including stipends for costs of attendance.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. anstro76

anstro76 GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +2,122
    I think the issue could be addressed without invoking the name of Jim Crow. It's a bit of a disservice to compare the two. Jim Crow laws were barbaric and led to the death of many innocent people. While I do agree that student athletes are being taken advantage of I can't relate the two issues in honesty.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +8,553
    Again, it's hyperbolic, but it's a fair use to make a point as a headline IMO.
  12. fl_champ

fl_champ GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +452

I don't understand this argument at all. No one is forcing anyone to play against their will. If you don't like it don't play it's that simple. Apply to College, take out student loans just like anybody else. This has been going on for far too long, so for somebody to except a sports scholarship an to be surprised at the work they put in for sports and what they get in return l don't buy it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +11,353
    post of the thread
  14. OB1

OB1 GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +986
    The reality is that most college football players at P5 schools are the cream of the proverbial crop of high school players. Most have put far more into athletics than their education which puts them at a disadvantage scholastically. Many would never step foot on the campus where they play. Unfortunately, of these almost 74,000(NCAA stats) players only about 1,100 will become a professional football player. It is very unfortunate the majority either do not or can not (are incapable of due to poor education choices in the past/concentrating on everything but education) take full advantage of the education they are afforded. I can assure you there are many avenues to a college education, only one gets you into a school like UF without a near perfect GPA and excellent ACT/SAT scores. While attending college many people work full time and make time for studying and some R&R. College is putting in the foundation for a better future in life, if you're betting on being in the 1.5% that has a 3.3 year career in the pros being the foundation of a better life, you may not be making a sound decision on your future life!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Montanagator

Montanagator GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +419
    This woman was born in 1982 and has no clue how life was under Jim Crow. She may have read about it in a history book and thinks she knows but she doesn't. She used her sports ability to obtain a degree which is what the vast majority of athletes do. Instead of being grateful that she was so blessed, she has to turn it into a rant about racism.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +196
    Players aren't paid because the NCAA does what it can to preserve tax exempt status. It;s already a fraud. That could put it past reasonable limits.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,718
    Perhaps the author is only writing about football and basketball players that are predominantly black. Most athletes never play professional sports, so provides the opportunity to attend college with meal plans and tutors, when otherwise could not have afforded to do so for many underprivileged kids. Gives the opportunities to get into coaching, teaching and many other professions affiliated with sports, as well as other industries
  18. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +11,353
    Taking your high end of $40, your bill before the 30% tip is $30. For a 3 hour game? How do you do that?

Are you one of those guys who goes for the $2.00 PBRs? :D

All kidding aside, I respect your position on refusing to pay for the garbage that’s being presented as mainstream media today.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +647
    Let's see; 2 pitchers of beer and an $8 - $15.00 meal, sometimes I get a $20.00 pizza. That will bring it up to about $45.00. I drink Bud or Bud light usually, (been drinking those two since I started drinking - don't ask when!!) sometimes yuengling if it's on special, and this is the cost for myself. Two pitchers gets me a really good buzz and lot of times I don't finish both. My typical bill before tip is $24 - $27.00. If one of my friends goes with me we typically get three pitchers of beer and a pizza.
    Time Out Sports Bar in Jacksonville has a Calzone Special on Saturdays that's excellent. For $8 or $9.00 I can load it up. Sometimes I eat only half and take the rest home!!
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  20. eViLG

eViLG GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +1,079
    And I would counter that many people here don’t know, and possibly haven’t had a conversation with someone who grew up in the Jim Crow south.