Tailgating - Needs Improvement

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by devildog820, Oct 16, 2013.

1. devildog820

devildog820 Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    So, I was at LSU this past weekend. We grabbed some beers from a gas station (a "Cracker Barrel" no less) and walked outside. Some cops rode up, we panicked and all started to make sure no one had opened their beers yet. Turns out, the cops were just making sure we knew where we were going and where some good spots to tailgate were.

None of us could believe it. The tailgating areas were packed solid, all day. Having tailgated at UF for many years (pre-Machen and post), I've never received anything but hassle from UPD. I've watched them make people pour out drinks and discourage people from ever trying again. I'm not talking sub-21 year olds, either.

They want to get butts back in the seats here? Not lose a generation of potential season ticket holders? They should start with making it fun to tailgate again. I'm not saying cops should ignore situations, but relaxing the open container rule around campus and leaving tailgates alone unless they are causing problems would be nice.

Also, death to 12pm games! Show it on FSN/Sunshine/whatever at 6pm if we have to. (I realize the ESPN contract doesn't allow that, but we should push back if we can)
  2. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    uf--worst tailgating environment I've seen in the SEC. University police are everywhere, issuing citations, threatening people, checking IDs. On the streets, Gainesville police will issue a citation if you take a beer onto a city street. I was LSU and A&M last year--much better situation, more relaxed environment regarding walking with a beer from one part of campus to another. Not sure why the police in gville are so bad.
  3. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    And yet there are bars that sell beers out of their store front window.
  4. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +583
    i love tailgating at UF. we have a good spot , set up a tv, bring lawn chairs, food and beer and jack d and always have a good time.
  5. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +788
    Make sure not to wander three feet from your tailgate.
  6. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +583
    once i have a beer, chicken wing, and a TV im not looking to go anywhere until kickoff. life doesn't get much better than that on an gator football saturday.
  7. Crocodilian

Crocodilian Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    It's not bad, but I agree they should make it more hospitable
  8. insuragator

insuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +663
    I've been to every road venue in the SEC (except for Missou and the two Miss Schools). I will be the first to say every one has friendlier law enforcement. Gainesville and UPD just walk around aggravating people who are spending their money there.

Hell - you can walk right up to Doak Campbell stadium with a beer in your hand.
  9. insuragator

insuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +663
    LSU and A&M have been my favorite. I hear that Ole Miss is fantastic also.

I also saw a fraternity kid at Alabama pass out on a squad car. The officers walked him to the door of his fraterniy, made sure he was OK and let him go.

The Gainesville police would have most likely beat him up, tossed him in the back of the squad car and came up with great charges like barking at their dog.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. savannahgator5220

savannahgator5220 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    I was at the UGA- UT game last year (wife is a UGA fan). We didn't drink because of scheduling commitments forced us to leave right after the game and drive home. I can say this. There was plenty of drinking going on with the everyone looking like they were having a good time.

I had to pour mine out at the last UF game I attended. It was just my wife and I and we are in our mid 50"s tailgating behind our car quietly. I could not believe this happened.

I also go to Ga. Southern and App St. games with the cops giving us no problems at all.

A bunch of my Ga. Southern friends are coming with me to the game in Nov. I have already warned them about the GPD.We will have to come up with a plan which probably means drinking at the hotel then going to the game. Then maybe a bar or back to the hotel for more drinks after the game.
  11. SeaCay

SeaCay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +338
    GPD and UPD are chock full of DBs, no doubt about it, but we've had very few interactions with them at our tailgate. We stay off their radar and out of their way, they leave us alone. Most of the trouble spots I've seen had issues with kegs, or drinking in areas that have a ton of foot traffic.
  12. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    I tailgated at LSU this past weekend and loved it. My first away game and it was interesting being in the minority. I was told I'd get a lot of "tiga bait" and I did but not as much as I expected. The people were very good natured and great hosts. Their tiger walk followed by their band puts ours to shame. Not even close. Even after the game when we lost, there was no rubbing it in by their fans. Great experience.
  13. GatorEst1992

GatorEst1992 Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Tailgaiting at UCF was better, everyone I saw had a cooler walking around campus with beers in hand and every parking lot was full of tailgaters playing beer pong and other games, UF is just a bunch of communtists
  14. KyleM923

KyleM923 Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    After the UT game all tailgators that set-up on the Plaza of The Americas (Library West) received notices that this would be the last year that this area would be made available to UF tailgators. Matchen/Folely need to take some lessons from LSU, Bama, Ole Miss etc, etc. As empty seats become the norm they ask the fans to shell out more money while enduring increased frustration. If they continue to bite the hand that feeds them UF sports will sink into mediocrity.
  15. Nubla

Nubla Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +40
    ....What? That's prime real-estate. Where will people tailgate then?
  16. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +794
    i've never had any problems tailgating over by norman hall. havent really seen any cops bothering anyone over there
  17. devildog820

devildog820 Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    All good points here. Except that by forcing people to stay in their tailgates, they are encouraging a Walking Dead scenario where no one socializes.

I don't understand why they are limiting tailgating. It's so stupid. Unless, of course, they are plopping a building in the middle of the PoA.
  18. devildog820

devildog820 Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Communists allow drinking...
  19. GatorEst1992

GatorEst1992 Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    I think you know what I meant, no need to be so literal should I have said Muslims or extreme religion that doesnt to suit your correctness
  20. devildog820

devildog820 Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Easy, killer. I was making fun of UPD for being more extreme than communists.