T. Jones Stomps on Homeless Man?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by BengermanV, Jul 31, 2013.

1. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Passively aggressively calling me dumb again are you? No defense of your illogic, but yet another attack on me. Why post if you can not discuss the topic? I do see you do not deny you view one misogynistic statement as worse than a rape or if rape is a crime to far say coming up behind some woman and fondling her, but not hurting her. That is where you are on this still apparently.
  2. MJGator8104

MJGator8104 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +133
    This is my problem with your thoughts on this matter:

1) First, you're downplaying what Jones has been accused of just because it didn't cause a permanent injury and you're also saying it's ok to stomp someone if they deserve it, when it's actually not ok whether they deserve it or not (although in this case it's obvious the homeless guy was sleeping and not bothering Jones except to be in his vicinity and did not deserve it). Following your logic, if he had kicked the homeless guy in the ribs or in the face, as long as he didn't break bones, well, that's not that bad...

2) You're making assumptions as to Cooper's attitude towards all black people instead of considering maybe he only felt that way toward the one he made the statement to.

You seem to give the benefit of the doubt to Jones but not to Cooper.

I understand your position, I just don't agree with it...
  3. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706
    Fair enough. I'll explain my thoughts:

1) My statement that "it did not cause an injury" was merely a qualification. Its fair to assume that a "stomp" could cause an injury. I was only adding that, in this case, it did not. When we're debating the seriousness of an action, I see that as relevant. Does it tell the whole story? No. Does it make something like a "stomp" okay? Not at all.

I was correct in my inclusion of the phrase "does not deserve it." There are circumstances where "stomping" someone is defensible and it could even be argued that the person deserved it. Obviously, in the case of TJ, the homeless guy did not deserve it. But what if you were walking down the street and someone grabs you or tries to mug you or something (I don't know, use your imagination)? Would a "stomp" have been a defenseless action? Could you not resort to such an action in an attempt at self defense? Stating that the homeless guy didn't deserve it was actually an attempt by me to show that I was in no way harboring the notion that TJ actually needed to stomp somebody or that the homeless guy did ANYTHING to "deserve" it.

2) I AM making an assumption about why Cooper said what he said. I feel as though its a fair assumption. Its one many gator fans have made as well. Certainly some (like you?) disagree and would likely say he used the word he'd recently heard in a rap song or one he hears in the locker room. I guess that's possible. But if my salary were on the line and I had to choose which was most likely - I'd go with the former. I grew in up Alabama. I went to a high school that had race riots just a few years before I was there. I grew up playing sports and heard how this word is thrown around in locker rooms. I even listed to rap music. Not sure what was wrong with me. I've heard/seen white guys use the N word also. Sometimes its clearly in a joking way or even said to black guys in a way that they appear to accept. I've also seen it used when someone is drunk, angry or a combination of the two. And I've also seen it used in such a way that the persons intent was more obviously malicious and stemmed from either deeply held or fairly obvious racism.

I think I even read comments from some gator fans saying that Cooper's comments weren't incredibly surprising to those that know him. Furthermore, you assume he only targeted the black guy he was talking to when he used that word? Wasn't his quote directed specifically towards "every (N) here...." - saying he'd fight them all? Doesn't seem to support your assumption in my opinion.

Maybe I made it seem as if I KNEW Cooper's feelings for certain. I'm, as you pointed out, assuming. I do believe its a fair assumption though - especially when you consider that much of what its based on is my own experience around those using that word. Doesn't mean my assumption is better than anyone elses. But in my case its definitely not because I want to assume the worst about Cooper.

I also don't see how I'm giving TJ the benefit of the doubt? I'm not suggesting he didn't mean to injure the guy. I am not saying its not bad because there was no injury. And no, kicking the guy in the face or ribs or whatever you suggested WOULD be quite bad - just as stomping on him was. Dont' think for a second that I don't think what Jones did was bad. I just think what it says about him isn't quite as bad as what Coopers incident says about him. Its pretty ridiculous to argue either way - as both are clearly unacceptable. Like I said before though, I'd take either over a DUI and am probably in the minority for that as well.
  4. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,589
    I never even heard what Cooper said. He probably lost the respect of his team just by going to a Kenny Chesney concert. He certainly lost mine.

I've got a the perfect penance for him. I'm going to see Public Enemy in mid September. If Riley can contain himself and not make any inappropriate comments (aside from singing along with the band) he should be exonerated. The Wu Tang Clan is also coming through town. If he saw both those bands, he would gain a new respect towards the African American community and earn some respect in return. He might also realize what a shallow, brainless and talentless hack Kenny Chesney is.