T. Jones Stomps on Homeless Man?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by BengermanV, Jul 31, 2013.

1. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +598
    I know this will be taken as me taking up for an ex-cat over an ex-gator (which technically is true), but that's a ridiculous take. Cooper deserves much more heat for his actions than Jones does. There isn't even a debate to be had. Not all actions are weighed by their illegality.

Cooper showed evidence of a prejudice against an entire race of humans. Jones did something incredibly dumb (mean too, sure) when drunk. There wasn't even a resulting injury. I've been hard on TJ for what he did and still am, but comparing it unfavorably to what Cooper said is laughable.

I know the race stuff gets more attention than it should and I think its a card that gets incredibly overplayed. But, merely calling what Cooper did "dumb" shows you don't fully understand it.
  2. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +565
    Disagree. But then I don't think it's criminal to have an opinion. I do think it's criminal to physically touch someone like Jones did, even though I find Portland's homeless so very annoying.
  3. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +276
    You're kidding aren't you? Physically harming someone versus saying something that shouldn't have been said are not in the same ballpark. My guess is that Riley has hung around with so many guys who liberally use the "N" word that he stupidly thought that it was okay for him to do the same. He was wrong.
  4. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +276
    My post was post from the other day was intended to be taken as tongue in cheek. Sorry if you thought that I was serious.
  5. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +598
    Nope, not kidding. I don't care what's illegal and what is legal. Obviously we have freedom of speech. I'm talking about what says more about you as a human. Harassing a homeless guy, including the "stomp" which didn't cause an injury, is not as bad as having a heart or life perspective that devalues an entire race of people and places them lower than other races. I'm not trying to devalue the homeless either, there's no excuse for stomping someone who does not deserve it. If anything the disadvantaged should be treated with more kindness.

Keep in mind I'm not comparing actions but comparing what those actions say about someone. Clearly neither says anything good - at all. But I'm not on the fence about this. Its just how I see it personally. I'd use media coverage or societal response as evidence to support my case here, but it'd just be convenient in this case. I think driving drunk is worse than either of these incidents - but neither cultural response or media attention would support my case there. Just the way I see it.
  6. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +835

Better than the rest of us??

Nah- - - I did some pretty dumb things, and yes embarrassing ones too. But I do make a distinction between being dumb/immature and being mean.
    This was a mean act, and he deserves every bit of criticism he is receiving.

I will not speak for "the rest" but I would be surprised (not to mention sad and disturbed) if abuse of the homeless is a rampant act among youth.

I also am failing to see how skin color is relevant to the conversation.

I do agree with your final sentiment.
  7. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +835

But we are talking about stomping a homeless person. So, while yes, all of us have done or pondered dumb acts.... there is a sliding scale. And I have to agree with 7 5 . . . this is waaay to side of "$hitty".

And again, you lost me on the race thing.
  8. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +835
    BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

This added some levity to a pretty weighty thread. :)
  9. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    I guess in REMO8's world, he does not say mean things when he gets mad at someone. Lot's of people say awful things they do not mean when they are mad. Heck parent who love their children have been known to get mad and call them names. That does not mean the parent really feels that way about the child anymore than it means Cooper is a racist for what he said. He was mad at someone and resorted to name calling, a racist would have gone into another sport years ago.

On the other hand Jones physically battered someone for just being there according to the charge. [I did mean in my original post to qualify my comments with some doubt about guilt as I was not there.] Clearly, what Jones is said to have done is far far far far far far worse than name calling. Gee do we have an entire generation who think sticks and stones will not hurt them but names will break their bones.
  10. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +598
    Some people don't get it. Then there are others that don't get that they don't get it.
  11. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +644
    I'd say Cooper's comments aren't all that much better than what Jones did. Both were hateful acts, with the only difference being one of them physically injured someone.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +35
    Yep, this really shows how much these UK guys really need to be banned from this site from time to time. This kind of rudeness reminds me of an assistant prof who thought his "seniority" meant he could criticize the new dean. He got canned and so should this rude visitor.
  13. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +598
    For disagreeing? Or for pointing out that you don't get what I'm saying at all? You, by all accounts, don't understand my stance. You think you do though. I pointed this out. I've been (correctly) accused of having thin skin on this site - but good grief.

Why will Jones be back with his team - his teammates not even remembering he had an incident - and Cooper may never play for the Eagles again?

You simply can't say that Jones' actions affected someone and Coopers didnt. Apparently they've so deeply affected some on his team that he might not be welcome there anymore. This is a pretty massive difference between the two incidents.

I also question your assumption that Cooper just used a random noun that he had heard in a rap song or heard his teammates say. He used a very specific word at a very specific moment. It was very intentional and, IMO, there's a good chance him using this word the way he did shows some closely held prejudices of his. Well, one at least.
  14. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +35
    This:

is NOT disagreeing. It is rudeness. It is insulting a UF fan member of this site. You should be banned for your rudeness to your hosts.

Had you engaged in discussion and disagreed trying to make some points like the below you would have been an ok guest even if you could not make a very good argument. But instead you chose to be rude because the moderators around here let you get away with it time and again. So you should still be banned.

15. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +598
    I guess my first statement does make it seem as if i was trying to generalize. That wasnt my intention, as I simply meant it in the context of this discussion. Making a broad statement about your level of insight would be inappropriate. Sorry if thats the way it came across.
  16. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +35
    Came across that way? Clearly when you typed these two sentences:

it was not a matter of coming across one way or another. You were rudely personally attacking me AND ALL THE DUMMIES LIKE ME, weren't you?

And by your standards applied to Riley Cooper above, what you did was worse than Terrence Jones. After all, REM08 "showed evidence of a prejudice against an entire" group "of humans. Jones did something incredibly dumb (mean too, sure) when drunk." Those of us dummies who do not get it and don't even get that we don't get it did not choose to not get it any more than someone chooses their race.

Cooper was probably drunk too, he was at a concert. We do not know if REM08 was drunk when posting and behaving worse than Terrence Jones by REM08's own standard. If not, then I guess his prejudice against us dummies who don't get it and don't even know we don't get it is not only worse that Jones' assault but worse than Cooper rude rant.
  17. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +216
    Probably because none of the guys in the NBA are homeless but many NFL players are black. If Cooper made a racist comment against Asians I doubt many NFL players would care. Same reason nobody really cares that Calipari called a reporter a f**king Mexican idiot.
  18. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +598
    That's a good point. I wouldn't say what Cooper did was worse than what Cal said. Considering the exact word used, and its historical significance, Cooper's incident is going to garner more attention - even if he played a predominately white sport like Tennis. I dont' think the outrage is just because of the color of his teammates. Although the fact that he's not with the team obviously is because of that.
  19. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +35
    That is some of it of course, but consider the "logic" of the REM08 standard of conduct:

Making a single misogynistic statement out of anger would show "evidence of a prejudice against an entire" group "of humans." Raping a single woman would be "something incredibly dumb (mean too, sure) when drunk." As long as "[t]here wasn't even a resulting injury," REM08 has "been hard on" rapists "for what [t]he[y] did and still [is], but comparing it unfavorably to"a ... single misogynistic statement "is laughable."

REM08 does "care what's illegal and what is legal." The words are far worse by his standard. But then you might like me be one of those lower beings who do not get it and don't know we do get it. We just can not understand the higher level of thinking of giants of the brain power of a REM08. We probably think rape or any assault is always worse than words, but to a superior intellect like REM08 one rape victim is apparently just some collateral damage.
  20. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +598
    Haha... Oh my, insti. You're accusing me of bending logic? Your last couple posts to/about me having even made enough sense to reply to. Hold on though, don't take the previous sentence to mean that I'm suggesting you're some low life-form who is incapable of making sense. Lord knows I don't have enough disclaimers to match the number of different ways you'll be able to contort it, however.

Doesn't look like our viewpoints of this comparison are close enough that its a conversation even worth having. The more I explain the less of my stance you appear to understand (enter another disclaimer). Maybe once basketball season starts we can rehash our last disagreement. It was a good one.