T. Jones Stomps on Homeless Man?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by BengermanV, Jul 31, 2013.

1. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ce-jones-arrested-homeless-man-stomp/2604559/

Not that our program hasn't had our fair share of trouble recently, but this kind of justifies what a lot of us already felt about Terrance Jones when he was at Kentucky.
  2. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Here's what I posted in the thread on one of UK's forums:

http://kentucky.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1383&tid=190154520&mid=190154520&sid=888&style=2

Much to my surprise, the vast majority of comments by UK posters came down very hard on TJ - as they should have. As I mentioned in the thread, any comments defending him in any way pretty much make me sick.

I was a big fan of Jones while at UK and still contend that he was not a problem while on campus. He had no off the court issues and I still don't believe his rep was deserved. Hard to defend from this point forward though.

Why rich athletes put themselves in situations where they're wandering around outside a bar at 2am is beyond me. Nothing good happens when the story starts that way.
    gatordee likes this.
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Jones always sort of had a bad reputation, but he seemed to be very coachable and upstanding in Houston.
  4. BengermanV

I'm with you, REM. Not sure what it is about professional and collegiate athletes, but there is something to be said for them getting themselves in trouble. Maybe they are bored with life handing them so many advantages, which is really terrible just to think about.
  5. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Good for you, REM!

I never did like TJ. Perhaps it was his surly look, but he always struck me as a jerk.
  6. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Or maybe they aren't all that different from other inebriated 16-25 males raised in a culture of bravado and machismo, you know, the same reason auto insurance rates are through the roof for that demographic or prisons filled with that demographic.
  7. jv

jv New Member

The Rockets need to suspend him for five or ten games. This ugly press, to say the least.
  8. gatordee

gatordee Well-Known Member

9. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

I'm not standing up for TJ in any way but you can't walk downtown with out tripping over the "intentional" homeless here in Portland. What I'm saying is that I don't think TJ was in a shady area, he just happened to be inebriated downtown and did something remarkably dumb.
  10. BengermanV

I'm right there with you, but that doesn't really disprove what I said. If anything, it propels it further. Being a high-paid athlete doesn't change any of the things you mentioned, which is too bad (as I mentioned).
  11. Go2gtr

Go2gtr Well-Known Member

Mean!
  12. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ehhh... I can't buy that.

I was 16-25 years old, and prone to being inebriated at times. I NEVER abused a homeless man.
    I think someone above said it best... that is not "dumb". It is "mean".
    I would not paint that age demographic as uniformly being "mean".
  13. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

From the department of T Jones isn't THAT bad, class of '06 Tubby recruit (played under Billy Gillispie) Michael Porter was just sentenced to two years in prison for sexual abuse.
  14. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Maybe you were just better than the rest of us, AKA, or maybe I ran with a pretty terrible crowd, but most of life in my late teens and the life of those I knew had some real embarrassing spots. It makes be blush to think about some of them and I've had to make amends to those whom I hurt. Still, I don't think I was an extreme case; on the whole, I was fairly well-behaved. I suspect if I were a professional athlete and multimillionaire by the age of twenty, my exploits would have attracted more attention than they did. I can say the same of my contemporaries. That's why I am hesitant to ascribe some sort of meta-criticism of young (often minority) athletes when one of their foibles goes public.

If Jones did something nefarious and insidious, then he deserves criticism for that one act. But it doesn't mean we can assume a broad swath of similarly aged, similarly wealthy, often times similarly skin-colored athletes merit the same designation and are worse than their peers who aren't maybe as wealthy or as athletically gifted.
  15. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

According to my sources, TJones was playing in a pick-up game on an outdoor court on which a homeless man was sleeping. TJones soared for a rebound and happened to land on the homeless man's neck. I don't see how TJones can be blamed for this. He's a rebounder for Pete's sake!!!
  16. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Now this guy knows funny:

@NotJerryTipton: Underreported aspect of the "Terrence Jones steps on a homeless guy"story is that the victim was Billy Gillispie.
  17. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

The answer is the 2nd part. Not even considering stomping on a homeless man doesn't make someone better, it makes them normal. Only an all around $hitty person would do it. Drunk or not.
    akaGatorhoops likes this.
  18. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Never said anyone I know stomped on a homeless person. What I did say was that we pondered doing or did a number of things that, were they brought to light publicly, would have merited plenty of negative attention.

Then again, most of us were white, so...
  19. Go2gtr

Go2gtr Well-Known Member

Not according to the report.
  20. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Not to start a fame war, but what Riley Cooper did was dumb. What Jones did here was mean, abusive and criminal. Still somehow I suspect Cooper will take more heat and suffer more repercussions than Jones.