T AM raises 740 million dollars

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by acegator, Sep 18, 2013.

1. charlegator2

charlegator2 Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    The A&M $740 million seems to be a mix of money, not all athletics, so hard to compare. But UF

Just wrapped up a capital campaign that raised $1.7 billion over 7 years

Received $644 million in total research funding in 2012

UAA receives about $100 million in revenues a year

Endowment is $1.26 billion

University of Florida foundation received about $100 million in contributions per year in recent years
  2. GatorJeff

GatorJeff Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    Is it any wonder that the TAM school president went out of his way to defend JFF when he knew that Johnny should have been ruled ineligible? Honesty and honor be damned when big endowment dollars hang in the balance.
  3. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,741
    They better pay Sumlin some money. Texas and USC are going to come calling very soon. Manziel was a nobody until Sumlin introduced him. He wasn't even first on the depth chart. Don't get me wrong, manziel is awesome, but Sumlin is the brains behind the operation. I loved him at Houston and now at A&M. The guy has an eye for talent, and more importantly, knows exactly how to use it. Great coaching mind.
  4. whitelakegator

whitelakegator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    I don't think Sumlin leaves. He was Asst HC back in the early 2000's...where? Yup, A&M. He's there to stay and that stinks since he is a GREAT coach.
  5. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    He's 0-1 in the SEC and last place in the West. Playing Bama will do that but his road to Atlanta is already in jeopardy.
  6. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +561
    Well not exactly. Why would you "take that away"?

UF may have the $1.26 billion endowment, compared to the Texas A&M $1.17 billion, but neither school actually has access to those all those funds. They are probably given access to a very small portion of those funds, maybe roughly the interest the accounts accrue over a period of time, to spend on capital projects.

I'm kind of guessing at the numbers, but based on UF's $1.26 billion endowment, if that money is getting 5% interest, that MIGHT be about $63 million a year they release for capital improvement projects. Again, I'm guessing at the actual percentage but I suspect.

Texas A&M might be using around $60 million or it's regular endowment for capital improvement projects. The Texas PUF distributes about 5% of it's value each year. Texas A&M System gets 1/3 of the amount. That means Texas A&M System probably got somewhere in the neighborhood of $125 million a year now in additional PUF money.

That would put Texas A&M at about $185 million per year in money for for capital improvement projects, compared with UF's $63 million. So Texas A&M probably still have a roughly 3 to 1 advantage in capital improvement funds.
  7. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,425
    Good stuff Atl,

Endowments are set up so that they are never exhausted (sort of like an annuity that will always have a balance). The only money that is generally spent is the interest that is made. These endowments have money managers similar to a pension plan.

UF's endowment is among the biggest in the southeast, and very large for a public school. Texas A&M is BY FAR the largest endowment in the SEC w/ Vandy 2nd.

Here's a link to a good list, updated in 2012:

http://www.statisticbrain.com/college-endowment-rankings/

Other southeast schools ahead of UF: Ga Tech, Duke, Emery
  8. Swamp_Swagger

Swamp_Swagger Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +366
    Aside from Manziel they have been average to maybe above average at best for most positions.

Without him they would still be fighting for 3rd or 4th in the west alone. But like many have said since the hype train started for them recruits and coaches I'm sure are gushing at the opputunity to help them. Now they just gotta see if the can continue the momentum.

I highly doubt the will ever be what Bama has been but the could be a contender more of then not in the SEC
  9. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    You are correct. This ranking on royalties from products and merchandise, is dated August 12 of this year and covers the 2012-2013 season from CLC....(I only pasted top ten.) Side note--for quite a few years now, UF has consistently been in top 5 year in and year out. This year we dropped down to #7.....we can do better.

Top-75 Universities
    (1.) The University of Texas at Austin (2.) The University of Alabama (3.) University of Notre Dame (4.) The University of Michigan (5.) University of Kentucky (6.) Louisiana State University (7.) University of Florida (8.) University of Georgia (9.) University of North Carolina (10.) The University of Arkansas, Fayetteville
  10. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +762
    Atlantagator knows what he is talking about. I used to work with UF Fundraising and my wife used to work with Paul Robel and John Lombardi. ATM was a peer institution (as Texas) and ahead of UF in nearly every aspect of alumni development and fundraising back then. UF has done well since. But, copmared to UF, ATM has more potential, more resources, and now, athletically, a more favorable position than Texas. Add that Texas is experiencing athletic department woes, lawsuits, and their football program is suffering, ATM is reaping the benefits.

There is no question that the one major SEC school that is most like ATM is Florida, because no other SEC school is like Florida and ATM in terms of academic, demographic, athletic, fundraising, research criteria and potential. They mirror each other in so many ways. ATM is the Florida of the SEC west. The only school that could exceed ATM by joining the SEC is Texas. But, they have their own conference (literally), and that is not going to happen. It's Texas and the 7 (8) dwarfs.

Now that Texas AD is retiring, they might put Mack Brown there. If they do, look for Texas to suffer even longer. However, if they give in to their administration side, they will go after Jeremy Foley, no question about it. And, you know who hired Will Muschamp.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. twk

twk New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    For a long time, Florida was a sleeping giant that finally awoke with Spurrier becoming the HBC. I think that A&M is going through the same process with Sumlin and admission to the SEC. As you say, there are a lot of similarities between these two large land grant schools.
  12. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,534
    Florida has more in common with UT than A&M...(flagship universities in their respective states, top academics and historically strong athletics).

A&M has been little brother to UT for generations and has defined their success by what they do compared to UT.
    IF they manage to win or compete for titles in the next 3-4 years, they can start claiming to be on a level field with UT and will at that point be a serious threat to the SEC powers. But that's a big "if". They have an uphill struggle to get back in the title race this year and most people think Manziel is leaving after this season.
  13. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    I have no problem with Texas A&M becoming a force in the SEC West. That means Bama and LSU suffer. Just can't stop grinning at the thought of that........
  14. phatGator

phatGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +261
    Agreed. Let them all duke it out in the west.
  15. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,049
    Until the elephants and Auburn move to the east ;)
  16. acegator

acegator Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    I highly doubt that happens.