T AM raises 740 million dollars

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by acegator, Sep 18, 2013.

1. acegator

acegator Member

Ratings Received:
    +29
  2. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,817
    I have been saying this since day one. A&M will be dominating the SEC soon enough.
  3. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +960
    Not likely, going to be very hard to replace Manziel.
  4. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,817
    Their recruitment is skyrocketing as well. Give them time.
  5. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    they have thousands of people out there who are millionaires from all that oil money---uf boosters can't match up with those billions.
  6. gtj31

gtj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +72
    Texas will have more millionaires than A&M but Texas' fans aren't anywhere near as dedicated as A&M fans. I don't know Texas' numbers but that is a lot of money.
  7. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,817
    Texas hauled in $453million.
  8. eastowest

eastowest Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    I think UT is also #1 in Merch. sales
  9. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +536
    I think you're missing the point. I said way back when the SEC first started talking to Texas A&M, back when everyone was criticizing the idea as adding a mediocre at best football team, that I believed Texas A&M would become the monster program of the SEC West, if not the SEC. Not necessarily the best football team, but the biggest and most powerful athletics program in the conference and surpass UTX as the dominant program in the state of Texas. Most people scoffed at the idea.

I expected it to take 4-5 years. What they've been able to do in just over a year even blows away my wildest expectations. I think they might already dominate the state of Texas, but that's largely due to mistakes Texas has made in the past couple of years.

What's going on now at Texas A&M is only partly due to Manziel and the success of the football program. What's really behind this surge is that Texas A&M is no longer under the Texas shadow. Texas A&M now has a major advantage over the University of Texas, by being in a superior conference. It is the one school that can sell state recruits on staying at home but still playing in the best conference in the country. And A&M has a major advantage over all the SEC schools by being the only SEC school in one of the largest recruiting bases in the country. It's almost the perfect storm.

Here's the key. Most people don't realize how close Texas A&M has been to Texas all these years, in terms the real key factors - school size, alumni base and financial resources. The thing that's kept them down is the perception that they were the #2 program in the state.

Now here's the scary part moving forward. Texas A&M is now the biggest program and has, BY FAR, the most resources of any program in the SEC, bar none.

Consider these numbers. The bigger SEC schools typically have 20,000-35,000 students and about $500 - $700 million in endowment money, which is essentially a fund of donated money that a school can use for major infrastructure projects.

UF has been the largest school by a pretty wide margin with about 49,000 students and an endowment of $1.26 billion. That size and money is a large part of the reason our athletics program as a whole has dominated the SEC.

Check out these numbers for Texas A&M. Over 53,000 students (roughly double the size of most SEC schools. And an endowment of get this, $7.6 billion!!!!! That's roughly 6 times the financial resources of UF. Now in fairness, only $1.17 billion is actually controlled by the school (slightly smaller than UF's) and the rest is part of the Texas PUF. But even the school's endowment is close to UF's.

The point being that UF has dominated the SEC in athletics for years, largely due to having superior size and resources. Now the SEC has added a program in Texas A&M that is even bigger and has more resources than UF.

Now what Manziel and last season's football team have done is further energized the fans and alumni, which is bringing in even more money and escalating the process, but the wheels were set in motion before Manziel set foot on the football field. Texas A&M was going to explode as an athletics program even without Manziel.

This is no fluke. Texas A&M will almost surely become the dominant athletics program in the SEC West and maybe even the SEC and it's going to happen within a few years.
  10. Gatorbait2784

Gatorbait2784 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +458
    That's a lot of autograph signing!
  11. grant1

grant1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    TAMMY Fae may be on the way to unseat Bammer in the West (and SEC), but I won't start pulling for then to do so as long as Johnny is playing.
  12. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,238
    And we welcomed to them to the SEC by beating them in their own backyard.
  13. acegator

acegator Member

Ratings Received:
    +29

Interesting post. Whatt does PUF stand for?
  14. acegator

acegator Member

Ratings Received:
    +29
    Anyone know how much we pulled in?
  15. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +230
    That's not all football money, but a nice chunk of change. They are fundraising hard for their stadium expansion which adds some excitement.
  16. gatorplank

gatorplank Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
  17. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +536
    Permanent University Fund (PUF). It's an endowment fund the state of Texas set up when it was formed in the 1800s to fund the University of Texas System and the Texas A&M University System. There are several schools within those 2 systems but most are small campuses. The majority of that money is earmarked to the 2 primary schools, though they only get the money distributed in smaller chunks annually to use.
  18. acegator

acegator Member

Ratings Received:
    +29
    Thanks atlanta. do we know how much we raised this year?
  19. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +571
    That's nice, but don't think I will be comparing them to UF until they actually win something. Money is nice, but there are a bunch of rich schools that haven't won much and vice versa.
  20. twodaparty

twodaparty Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +127
    So if you take that away theirs is basically the same as ours? And if I'm understanding right they just can't have all of that at once? If so it's not that much of an advantage to ours I would think.