Surviving Whole Foods

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by exiledgator, Sep 27, 2013.

1. cstgator

cstgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    I understand that Publix is cheaper than Whole Foods, however, it's still expensive. Yes they do have good sales from time to time, but the fact remains I can't go in there and get whatever it is I want and be guaranteed to pay a low price for it. I can go into Wal-mart and ALDI and pay a low price every single time without having to worry about BOGOs. 3.99 for a bag of yellow onions is very high. I can get an identical bag (except for brand) at ALDI for 1.75. Produce at Publix is much, much more expensive, as is meat. $4 for boneless skinless? Jeez...

For the poster that said I've obviously never been to either Publix or Whole Foods...ok...I'm only a native born Floridian and had an ex-wife that was semi-obsessed with organic food. I've been to both plenty. I dislike WF far more than Publix -- I actually like Publix -- but not to do the bulk of the grocery shopping. Their Greenwise steaks are delicious, but I'd never pay full price for them. The BOGOs at the front of the store are nice but a lot of times it's stuff I don't want. I don't buy stuff I don't want just because it's on BOGO.

WF is just a huge ripoff, in most cases. I get why you would want to go there for very specific items like specialty cheeses, craft beer, for convenience purposes. I just don't see the point of regularly buying lots of groceries at such a place.

And to the last poster -- don't know if you noticed, but neither Publix nor Whole Foods are exactly "mom and pop" stores. They're both corporate giants in the world of groceries as well. They want to make a profit just as much as Wal-mart does...

Lastly, still don't understand why it's so important for people to shop at places that "look nice." Is that why you're there? Seems ridiculous to me. Eating out for dinner, yes, ambiance and atmosphere is very important. Buying groceries? Just give me low prices and a good selection, I don't care who's in there or what the place looks like as long as it's not dirty. Walmart and ALDI aren't dirty so works for me.
  2. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +704
    I admit shopping at WF sometimes.

What I find ironic are customers paying 2X or 3X for organic food or some other vegan earth food all the while they have chosen to have 2 quarts of ink under their shin 24/7.

A check out guy with purple hair , 75 tats and piercings (metal thru skin !) asked me about my red meat buys. He was a vegan.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    I find the burgers and steak at walmart to be better and cheaper than publix, unless publix has a big sale going.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +884
    if his reasoning behind being vegan is an animal cruelty issue he still has a stance. if it's a health issue he's full of shit. tattoo ink can be highly toxic.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. phatGator

phatGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +243
    I support local stores, but they have to be viable. Before Lowe's and Home Depot all we had were two local lumber stores. One had absolutely terrible customer service. They closed shortly after the big boys opened. The other store, however, is still doing business.

I think Dick's did more to run off sporting goods stores. My local hardware store just expanded even though there are two super WMs, two Lowe's, and two Home Depots close by. There are plenty of convenience stores in the area.

I don't think mom and pop stores treated workers any better. On the other hand WM has significantly raised the standard of living of poor people.
  6. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,654
    I have a child with Celiac and they have a lot of Gluten free offerings, some of which are freshly baked so they get some of my money and I just ignore the other chit

Publix is starting to carry a lot more decent gluten free items-Aldi and Wally World do not-plus I do not like putting up with all the crazyies who go to wally world
    • Like Like x 1
  7. palmbayed

palmbayed Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    How has Wal-Mart helped improve the standard of living of poor people? I worked at a local mom and pop convenience store that was struggling to survive and the last straw was when the Super Wal-Mart moved in about a mile away. They can buy in such bulk there is no way for smaller stores to compete, they also strong arm their suppliers into losing part of their profit so Wal-Mart can make more for themselves.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. FrankGator627

FrankGator627 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +633
    Do they really have a computer that rates your beauty?

That sounds too ridiculous to be made up
    • Like Like x 1
  9. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +955
    The lack of a quality, moderately priced grocery chain has forced us to do our shopping at five different places. As mentioned before, I get most of my beer at Whole Foods. we get our produce, meat and baked goods at a big ethnic/green grocer about four miles away. (They moved from a smaller building into a vacant Circuit City.) That's too far to go every week and the packaged foods from national brands are way too expensive there since they don't have the buying power of the big chains. We go to Costco about every two to three weeks to get bulk items. I still have to go to the one chain store, Jewel once a week to get the things I can't get at the other places and I go to Trader Joe's to fill in. It's walking distance from my house and on my way home from the train.
  10. phatGator

Ratings Received:
    +243
    Keeping prices low means poor people can buy more on their small income. WM can only "strong arm" suppliers if the suppliers have no where else to sell. But if they do it's an economic decision whether to do business with WM.

I'm sorry your employer lost the store. It's always sad when someone's business goes under. I've been there. That WM was the last straw means they were already on the verge of non viability.

Most mom and pop stores have gone by the wayside. Who thinks about whether they are buying Exxon gasoline (or any other brand) from a station owned by an independent local retailer, a jobber, or Exxon itself.

I've always preferred local stores if it is a reasonable alternative. In high school and college I bought clothes at The Clothes Horse in Orlando and Winter Park Sporting Goods, a hole in the wall store. Those type of places dont exist anymore. When I lived in Europe I lived going to the butcher shop and the bakery. Here I belong to a Community Supported Agriculture garden. It's a little more expensive than Kroger's but very fresh. But I cannot tolerate too much of a premium for the good feeling of supporting small businesses.

One last thought. Some of the megastores have made millionaires of their employees. I saw a documentary years ago (the night before DJ beat Peyton) on the Home Depot Millionaires. Cashiers that took advantage of stock purchase plans every paycheck and it racked up to quite a stash.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +768
    Funny!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +768
    For beef, I prefer a butcher shop. Cacciatore and Sons in West Tampa for me. Excellent skirt steak, house made Italian sausage and thick cut bacon all day long. Plus, one of the best best devil crabs in town. :)

Seafood? Never a grocery store and damn sure never Walmart. IC Sharks on Gandy unless I catch it myself. Shrimp docks for shrimp.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,654
    I am a trained meat cutter so I buy box meat and cut my own
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +822
    I'm given to understand that every poor person who is employed by Wal-Mart has a job. Now granted, this is just hearsay.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,101
    And I thought this article would get about 4 replies: 2 LOL's, one image, and an anecdote.

Never saw this coming.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,931
    I don't mind our Super Walmart. It's a good area, well lit, good layout, etc. And yes, it does have really good prices. But I sat and figured out savings versus costs once. Wegmans and Tops double coupons under $1. Walmart doesn't. Walmart for me is considerably further away than either Wegmans or Tops, too. Also, our Walmart (I would guess like others) runs out of stuff fast because of the prices, so you really need to go on the day they've stocked or just after, otherwise you're just missing a ton off your list.

If it were closer then maybe I'd go more often. But I have 3 Wegmans within 10 minutes of me and a Tops half a mile down with a gas station. Just not worth the extra gas when we're still at $3.89. I also have a Target where I get most of my paper products/laundry items since we have the gift card deals here a lot.

Now if I'm there for other stuff, like toys for Christmas or Holiday stuff, etc, THEN I might grab some grocery items while I'm already there.

The store I love in Gainesville is Fresh Market. Holy ___ that pastry section is to die for :yes: And the meats/seafood are great.

Aldi? Ours always smells of bleach. Even the produce smells of bleach. To the extent that it's almost driven me to throw up. Maybe yours is different/nicer.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,931
    Oh come on! You love the controversy :wink: :laugh:
  18. phatGator

Ratings Received:
    +243
    Where do you get box meat?
    • Like Like x 1
  19. supagator

supagator Supa'star Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,929
    I like the fresh market here in most florida cities!
  20. raycgator

raycgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +101
    You just have to be a smart shopper with the options you have. I'm kinda surrounded by a Publix, WF, Fresh Market, Walmart, Super Target.

I get fruits and veggies and other perishables from Publix.

I get trash bags, detergent, dish soap, etc. from Walmart.

On occassion I would get something from WF or Fresh Market because they carry a couple of items that I like to eat.

Publix is awesome though. I'll support a homegrown Florida business anyday.
    • Like Like x 1