Surviving Whole Foods

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by exiledgator, Sep 27, 2013.

1. ufhomerj31

ufhomerj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +92
    I like getting my age steaks at WF.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. pringleg

pringleg VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    There is a reason that its nick name in many places is "Whole Paycheck".
    • Like Like x 2
  3. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +779
    I shop where there are better looking women. That happens to be Publix or Greenwise in S Tampa. :)
    • Like Like x 5
  4. GatorWon

GatorWon Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +33
    With your paycheck?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. cstgator

cstgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Go spend more of your paycheck on Whole Foods and Publix. I'll go to cheaper places and use that extra money for you know, worthwhile things, like traveling.

Whatever happened to frugality? Stunning to see how much the American culture has changed in the last 100 years. There is definitely class division in this country. Whole Foods does work in part because yuppies don't want to be around people in a lower socioeconomic class. This healthy food revolution has been great for America for the most part, but it's also created these yuppies whom have a superiority complex about their diet and high end foods that they consume. However, I don't think a person who eats all these exotic nuts and grains and veggies is any healthier than a person who eats regular nuts (peanut butter, for example), 100% whole grain bread, and veggies such as broccoli, spinach, peas. Add lean protein and exercise and there's no doubt you could be healthier than most health nuts could ever dream of being. It's a huge snakeoil industry and bored married people with disposable income have to spend their money on something.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,345
    Rep time. :grin:
    • Like Like x 3
  7. bakaduin

bakaduin Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +716
    Not sure how you are comparing Publix to Whole Foods. The two are not similar at all.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. northgagator

northgagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +111
    Valid point!

But the women at the Whole Foods at Statebridge and Medlock are the hottest MILF's in Atlanta. A lot of them are from Country Club of the South, St Ives, and the other nearby gate communities.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. cstgator

cstgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Sure they are.

They are both expensive grocery stores.

I was comparing them with inexpensive stores such as Wal-mart and Whole Foods. Is that understandable to you?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. bakaduin

bakaduin Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +716
    Publix isn't an expensive store at all. You are obviously doing it wrong. Stick to the BOGOs, the on sale items, and Publix brand and it is pretty inexpensive. Plus you get to shop in a clean store with friendly staff. I would say your distinction of "inexpensive" and "expensive" is lacking a category.

There are the expensive speciality stores (Fresh Market and Whole Foods), the average priced grocery store (Publix, Krogers, Etc), and the bargain bin stores (Walmart and Save-Alot). Again, the only way someone would compare Publix to Whole Foods is if they had never been in either store.

http://www.iheartpublix.com/

I posted a website for you so you can learn how to grocery shop more efficiently. Enjoy.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. altalias

altalias Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +262
    This thread explains the looks I got the one and only time I went to Whole Food. I bought a couple of token items and tried to blend in but they knew. My econony car is probably on the web site "posers of Whole Food"
    • Like Like x 3
  12. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,081
    My wife loves WF for their bakery and meat section. Thankfully it's a once in awhile thing and I don't have to go there that much.
    • Like Like x 3
  13. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,071
    I shop at Whole Foods two or three times a week, but only for beer. They have similar prices and almost as good a selection as the nearest Binny's liquor store, which is huge. The beverage manager at WF knows me and sets aside limited releases he knows I like. We rarely ever buy food there, except for special occasions. As far as the staff, I've struck up casual friendships with some of them. I run into them at a local bar and enjoy hanging out, drinking craft beer and watching sports with them.

Can't believe people are complaining about Publix. We've lived in several large US cities and shopped at every major grocery chain in those areas. Nothing came close to Pubilx.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. kalaniocc

kalaniocc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +777
    publix is the best. you realize this when you move away from florida.
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,358
    You feel that way about Wal Mart shoppers? Most Whole Foods types tend to sneer at Wal Mart's clientele...
    • Like Like x 2
  16. manigordo

manigordo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +259
    But when one shops in Europe or British Columbia, CA, no Whole Foods are necessary. Good clean food everywhere and a hell of a lot less pre-packaged food-like substances.

Clearly that doesn't matter to folks here, but there are those who care about how their food is made and processed. No problem of making fun of folks like me, but some think quality matters.

Of course, if it were cars being discussed or Florida's offense then it would matter here.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +576
    Cmon everyone sneers at Walmart shoppers.

As for the article..pretty lame attempt at humor. I rarely go to whole foods, $$$, but their clientele in my area is rather attractive. Publix gets my business. Can't beat the place.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,959
    You guys are complaining about how expensive Publix is??? Try Wegmans up north. If you move out of the South you'll be begging for those prices. Come November-March/April, we're lucky if we can get a container of strawberries for less than $6 A POUND (and no, frozen doesn't taste the same). Most of it is rotten so you're getting about a quarter of a container. My husband nearly keeled over the other day buying a half watermelon for $10. Want some quasi-fresh shrimp? Try over $20 a pound. Really any seafood other than salmon you can forget it. Want some steak? Rib eye pack of 2 will run around $18-$20. Want Spanish or Vidalia onions? Close to $2/pound. Ice cream - like Breyers? Try close to $6 for a container. And up here, everything is taxed and all soda/water containers have a 5 cent per container fee on top of it so you recycle. You do this by walking back to the store with garbage bags filled with containers that you run through a machine, and it spits back out a ticket.

As a test, when I was on vacation for a month in Florida I bought items I knew I could find up here. I then had my husband purchase the same items in Buffalo. Total at Publix was just under $100. At Wegmans? Over $180. For the same things.

The only nice thing is the Couponing rules up here are a bit better and Tops has a gas station so we earn gas discounts. Which is awesome considering we're still around $3.90 in my area per gallon. But trust me, you'll BEG for Publix if you live in other places, especially up north :yes:
    • Like Like x 3
  19. rburnett

rburnett Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +94
    Would love ti have publix in texas. We have kroger, best thing is the gas discount. I filled up my whole F150 tank at 2.95 this week. We dont have whole foods near us, but we have something even better called Central Market. It makes whole foods look like the dollat general. My wife loves that stuff. Personally, i am a walmart dude. I dont even like target. They have no fishing gear. Deal breaker!
    • Like Like x 2
  20. palmbayed

palmbayed Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    I would rather take a bullet than shop at Wal-Mart. They were the beginning of the end of family owned businesses like sporting goods stores, hardware and convenience stores. Mom and Pop places can never compete w/ Wal-Mart and I'm not going to go into how they treat their employees. There is a reason why many places in the US wont let them in their communities.
    • Like Like x 2