Surgeon vs. Plumber

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatordpm, Sep 10, 2013.

1. gatordpm

gatordpm Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    Phil,

Read my post above. I assume I will make approximately 320 take home. It will probably be paid about 800 to my boss about 2-3 months after the procedure and the insurance company confirms that they do owe it.
  2. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +254
    I would think a doctor's office has more overhead. I would also think that the plumber that works for the plumbing company is getting a smaller percentage of the labor charge than doctors would get. Either way, the amount that the plumber is making is all just speculation which is still my point.
  3. gatordpm

gatordpm Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    Art,

Thanks for tying in the loose ends. Not that long ago, I remember a thread titled something along the lines of "to reduce health care costs pay doctors less" I was trying to give a real life example of how misinterpreted doctors salaries are. Don't get me wrong, most do well. I'm trying to get to the point that mastoid usually posts to. How much more should doctors make who sacrifice they're 20's with college, 4 year med school, and 3-5 years of training afterwards (for most).Should we expect to make 2x 3x 4x someone who may or may not have a high school degree? According to my most recent encounter it would appear that I would be lucky to make x.
  4. gatordpm

gatordpm Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    Ky,

2.5 hours labor for me 800 no overhead plus approximately another 1-1.5 hours of free office visits for the next 90 days. I'm assuming he can install the water heater in 2hours? Maybe 3 ? I really don't know? So 700 dollars for 2-3 hours for him?
  5. USAFColonel

USAFColonel Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    This thread is bad luck. I had to replace my water heater today. :-(
  6. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +254
    0 dollars for 0 hours, not counting the time it took for him to estimate his costs and give you a quote. He didn't get the job because he was overpriced.
  7. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Why don't we talk about how underpaid builders are. I'm getting tired of more doc whine. You guys make the most of any normal job in the US and once a month we have a pity party for y'all. Sorry to be blunt or jump on your case, but a lot of us struggle when young to get our business or profession going and feel under appreciated later, but I never see any other trade do this routine on TH. If you don't like it, do something else.
  8. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +721
    This is rich coming from you row who thinks he should own a piece of a doctors life but one should not own a piece of yours to provide shelter...
  9. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,944
    Lost on some is that there is just a slight difference between a bad job, pouring a slab or installing crown molding and a bad heart valve job, or brain tumor removal, etc.

One is aesthetic to an inanimate object, the other is potentially life threatening to a living person. I think the later has way more responsibility and risk and thus commands a higher reward.
  10. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,324

You mean someone who might be able to operate a nail gun might not be able to operate a laser surgical device ? :huh:

Well, gawaliee.
  11. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,944
    They'd probably be very good at it but the cigarette ashes in the wound might be a problem.
  12. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,324

:laugh: Or Skoal juice.
  13. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +907
    I know you jest, Law.

As my good friend knows, when it comes to lawyers, or doctors, or accountants, etc., you pay for the brain, not the ability to point a laser, read the penal code, or file a 3 page return.
    What people like row don't understand or grasp is that not everyone can be a good doctor, lawyer, or accountant. All dpm is saying is that if you begrudge the brightest of the bright getting paid for their services, you're going to end up with some pretty dumb doctors. Not that it hasn't been happening already. Since about 1990 (Clinton era, remember that Obamacare prototype plan?), people in the know (READ: doctors and surgeons in the 1990s) have been steering their own kids away from medicine. As for me, I wasn't so lucky, my parents were probably like row6- upper middle class, self-made, dreamed of their kids being doctors. They didn't know the reality on the ground, that the medical profession was being hijacked by special interests and was about to be paid less, often to the point of absurdity. Row6 probably doesn't know that when I check someone for prostate cancer, I don't even bother to bill the insurance company. For such an important exam, most insurances flat out deny the claim, and when it is paid, it's usually for $2. It's not worth the hassle for $2.
  14. jimgata

jimgata Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,335
    Bitch at Dr's. pay if you wish, however if you owe your life as well as your daughters life to Dr's. and medicine, I think it would take some of the bitchiness away.Dr's.pay is just a small part of the high cost of medicine.
    I hate to hear someone gripe about the high cost of medicine while buying a carton of cigarettes and a case of beer.
  15. ArtDeco

Ratings Received:
    +907
    Dpm isn't arguing take home pay here. He's saying people gripe and yell at doctor bills while other things in life cost just as much, if not more.
    I've had patients actually say to my face that they ignore doctor bills. I've never heard anyone admit to ignoring a power bill. Or a cellphone bill.
  16. ArtDeco

Ratings Received:
    +907
    Thank you for posting, and thank you for your service. You probably spent time in my neck of the woods, LA. That's Lower Alabama to you and me (and Law).
  17. ArtDeco

Ratings Received:
    +907
    There's a lot of psychopathology here. But it does explain things. It explains why you are pro-Obamacare.. as a way to "get back" at those undeserving doctors.
    It also suggests some envy there......
    I guarantee these threads would disappear if you and your leftist buddies would (1)let us practice in the free market like every other job in the country and (2)not tell everyone healthcare should be free. Should a builder's work be free?
  18. ArtDeco

Ratings Received:
    +907
    You operate in the free market. Doctors do not. Medicare decides what we are paid, insurance follows.
    Would you whine if your Obama overlord made owning a home a "right" and, to that end, decreed that he would price-control all costs and force builders to put up homes for pennies on the dollar?
  19. ArtDeco

Ratings Received:
    +907
    as he's kicking you night in the ruts.

Kinda like the liberals that call you every name in the book, then say "sorry if I offended you".
  20. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    And... Has someone said crown molding is more important than a leaky heart valve? That's outrageous!