Surgeon vs. Plumber

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatordpm, Sep 10, 2013.

1. gatordpm

gatordpm Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Well I work on a percentage basis of 40%, so my take is around $320. I'm a little disappointed that many are quick to point out the overhead of the plumber, but refuse to consider the doctor's overhead as well.
  2. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Indeed it was interesting and I traded you a joke, so hopefully we are even.

Forgive me if I mistook you for a doctor complaining about how much they make on Too Hot. It happens regularly.
  3. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    OK, let's start with your kids not going to college.

See the problem?
  4. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    You're right. I forgot about the lease on the Beamer to get to the hospital!
  5. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +216
    If my kid is asking my advice on a career as an electrician vs. going to college and majoring in art history, I'm not going to try to talk him into college.
  6. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    He can always become an electrician after graduation - my electrician has a music degree - as well as qualify for any number of jobs which require the generalized proof of higher education no matter the major. The data is clear on incomes for college educated vs non-college educated over their life and I think you would be advising him wrongly.

PS We should also acknowledge the benefits to anyone of higher education apart from it's utilitarian value in getting a job.
  7. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +206
    For those who know, how do surgeons get paid? Are they employees of the hospital and get a paycheck for services rendered? Are they contractors who have to rent space from the hospital? Something else completely?
  8. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    More importantly, how are plumbers paid?
  9. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,186
    College is not for everyone.
  10. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    True enough, but I will urge and advise my grandson to try it and hopefully it takes.
  11. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,403
    The problem(?) is that it takes actually going to college for many people to figure this out.
  12. gatordpm

gatordpm Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    We have our billers bill it for us to the patient's insurance company. The hospital charges their fee to the patient's insurance and we charge ours. This process usually takes about 2-3 months to collect provided there are no denials.
  13. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,186
    Nothing wrong with that approach in my opinion. It's just that I feel we force too many kids into getting degrees just for the sake of getting a degree. It's nice to have one but sometimes they are as useless as tits on a boar hog.
  14. philnotfil

Ratings Received:
    +206
    What overhead do you have to pay?
  15. gatordpm

gatordpm Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    I'm an associate who gets paid a percentage as stated above...But my boss has to pay me, the staff, my malpractice insurance, my professional dues, the office building, approximately 30,000 on a new EMR last year, etc.
  16. kygator

Ratings Received:
    +216
    An electrician or plumber is going to be lumped into the same group as those who are working in fast food. An art history major is going to be lumped into the same group as doctors, lawyers and accountants. It skews the data.

There are benefits of higher education beyond getting a job. Are those benefits worth the cost? Not always. You can become well rounded and educated without it becoming formalized and going deep into debt.
  17. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +381
    Dpm,
    Sorry for the abuse you've taken here. Someone should've warned you there's a few bad apples in the bunch that will call you a greedy pig or insinuate that you don't deserve what you've achieved and that you're a whiner. I see you've met one of them already.
    I think the bigger point you're making is lost here, so let me close the circle for you.... patients will bitch and moan about your $800 and call that ridiculous and (as one poster has already done) question the car you drove to work in and the house you bought with your sweat and tears. Heck, we even had a President recently revamp the entire way we deal with healthcare, saying it costs too much and the government needs to provide it for you. Everyone's up in arms about your $800, yet no one questions or bemoans or insinuates anything about Joe Plumber's $700. I notice your persecutor did not ask the kind of car your plumber drives. Maybe we should sic Obama on the plumbing industry, too. I mean, after all, don't I have the right to take a dump?
  18. philnotfil

Ratings Received:
    +206
    So the $800 is what you personally collected for the work you did, after the overhead, while the $700 is what the total cost for the job the plumber did, and he will personally collect some part of that after all the overhead is paid? Am I understanding this correctly?
  19. kygator

Ratings Received:
    +216
    I haven't refused to consider anything. You know how much your overhead is but you don't know how much the plumber has in overhead. That was my only point. You know how much you are making but you don't know how much he is making, so you really can't make an accurate comparison. I wasn't trying to imply that you should be making less or that he should be making more. Actually, he made nothing since you wisely chose to shop around.
  20. gatordpm

gatordpm Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    So do you think he has more or less overhead than a doctors office?