Surgeon vs. Plumber

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatordpm, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    You don't know me junior and unlike you I don't spend most of my posts defending personal turf while accusing others of personal characteristics I couldn't possibly know or with reason presume to know.
  2. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +484
    So then you believe doctors should be afforded the same privileges you are?
  3. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +484
    I have been trying to learn what you believe and your silence/actions speak volumes.

Anyone who can analyze a situation can understand and see to this point you do not want to afford doctors the same privileges as yourself. It is selfish but just reality. I hope you see it one day and change.
  4. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +365
    Three things:
    1. Every concern you've posted revolves around hospital care, so forgive me if you come across as being attached to the idea of hospital care. Even when I point this out to you, you then continue to attack me personally, and doctors in general, as being the problem. I have tried to redirect your focus to the actual source of the problem, but you are like a new car owner who wants to get his car serviced at the dealer instead of Jiffy Lube, then you hit the roof when the prices are not what you like. Quit going to the dealer! And if you have a problem so severe that you must go to the car dealer, quit bitching and be grateful you're not dead. They are saving your life, you ingrate.
    2.The fact remains, that if you came to see me with no insurance card, I would charge you $67. Yet you despise me, and pray to the institutions that apparently have you struggling for finances. So your answer is to adopt a policy that runs little guys like me out of business and let the hospital foxes guard the henhouse.
    3. I have patients that are builders. None of them have insurance, so take that for what it's worth. Are they poor? Doubt it. Can they afford insurance right now? Absolutely. Do they have different priorities or spend their money on other things? Probably. It doesn't bother me, because when they come in, they all pay by pulling out rolls of hundreds out of their pockets. So pardon me if your cute one-liners about taking out loans doesn't quite ring true.
    More and more, you come across as a guy that isn't so much concerned with your fellow man like I am, you just want your personal bill to be zero.
    And I'm not judging you, just be honest about it.
  5. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    1 Obviously our national problem with health care costs has little to do with what gp's charge for office visits and much to do with hospitals and testing outside of the gp's office, and it's not like we can pick one of these as an alternative to the other. You couldn't handle in office the problems which landed me and relatives in the hospital - no offense intended - nor the tests billed at first at $12 grand a pop. No doubt you're oversight - or more specifically that of my/our gp - would have been a great help in helping us navigate the "no one in charge" hospital atmosphere, but neither of you would have been an alternative for the specialized care we required. I am very appreciative of that care - having noted earlier in this thread that without modern medicine I'd be dead now - but that appreciation doesn't require blindness to the faults of the system, especially when we will no longer be able to afford it's inefficiencies as a nation much longer.
    2. See above. I favor increased power of gp's in the system. OTH, we need hospitals too. You aren't an alternative.
    3. I have specifically gone out of my way up thread to praise your attitude in practice and have noted that I assume you are as you state, mostly motivated by the health and care of your patients. As I said, your statements to this effect have the ring of truth. Except for some drive by sarcasm about waiting room time, etc., nothing I have posted has been intended as a personal criticism of you. You in turn first questioned my intelligence in understanding medical bills, implied I was a deadbeat looking to get out of paying bills, and someone without insurance looking to gouge my own customers. FWIW, thanks to my wife's job I am insured up the ying yang and will sooner rather than later be medicare eligible. I don't have any personal problems with medical bills beyond not being sure what the bottom line is. My advocacy of changes to our medical system have nothing to do with my self interest - except for fixing the "no one in charge" hospital system - and everything to do with fixing a national problem which will mostly affect those younger than me. If anything my taxes will go up with minimum benefit to me personally. Lastly, I too almost always put my customers interest ahead of my own and as a result have done OK, but not gotten rich as a builder. I charged the same during the bubble as I did before and didn't build any spec homes I could jack up the price on. I do have a good reputation as a result and am still in business.
  6. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +484
    Row,

Why do you not want to afford doctors the same privileges you are afforded when providing shelter for people?