Summer Contest!!! (deadline to get your picks in is Friday, 22nd, @ 5PM)

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Jun 11, 2018.

1. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +21,289
    It's finally here, the long-promised summer basketball contest. It's a bit different than what we have done in the past and our hope is that everyone enjoys it.

Thanks to @harnettgator for her usual well-written instructions

How to Participate PHASE I: Each person who wants to participate should make a list of their top 5 former Gators players at each position (a total of 25 players) per participant. Participants should put their 5-deep lists in a PM to the 3 managing Mods for this Contest - @HallGator, @OklahomaGator and @harnettgator. Be certain that all three of us are included in your PM.

At this point we ask that participants neither discuss nor post their individual picks on the open forum until each position thread is “opened” for voting and discussion. The reason for this is we would rather all of our participants put together their own list rather than possibly being influenced by the picks other members are making.

Your lists need to be in within a week to 10 days so we can get the contest underway.

How to Participate PHASE II: From the PM lists, we (3 managing Mods) will compile a list of the 5 most-nominated players at each position. We will then create separate threads for each position 1-5. Participants and lurkers will all be encouraged to discuss their thoughts, opinions and why/how they arrived at their respective top picks. In this contest, both UF (collegiate) and NBA or professional careers may be considered in the evaluation but it is not a necessity for inclusion. Only the top 5 vote-getters will be listed so even if some, or all, of them, are not in your particular list we still encourage everyone to discuss how those players listed should be ranked, and why.

After approximately one week(maybe longer if our members want) of allowing discussion on how different members feel each player should be ranked, we will create separate threads allowing for voting by all participants, lurkers and/or observers may then vote on their own top 5 players by position. Each position will have its own voting thread.

Points Allocation & Identification of "Winners": We will award points for any player who falls into the top 5 (virtually guaranteeing all participants should score points and will, therefore, be more motivated to keep playing).

We would also award bonus points for getting them in the correct order. They don't have to get all correct but they would get points for any player who fell in the order they initially placed them (as an example - if they got #1 and #5 correct they would get an additional 2 points).

Top 3 Participants would be identified as “Winners” based on total points scored after the closing of voting.

If necessary, the tiebreaker would be the time stamp.
    IOW - In the event of a tie, the earliest to get their picks in (by PM) would win.

Our intention is to keep the Nuttin' But Net members (and hopefully the Full Court Press folks) engaged during the offseason and will keep everyone focused on positive hoops-based discussion.

Membership awards will be as follows:

1st place - 1-year Premium membership.
    2nd place - 6 months Premium membership.
    3rd place - 3 months Premium membership.

Anyone who already has a Premium membership will have this added to their current subscription.

One last thing here. If there is something that is not clear we will be glad to address that but we are not going to get into a discussion on how we are running the contest. We want everyone who wishes to join in, however, we have neither the time nor the desire, to drag this thing out because someone doesn't like the way it is put together.

With all of that in mind, let the game begin and good luck to all of our members.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2018 at 10:44 PM
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,130
    Will you allow some players to be included in multiple positions? Any guidelines as to which position you will consider?
  3. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +21,289

I see no reason why you couldn't include one player in multiple positions. The final list will be compiled from all the picks so I don't see it becoming a conflict.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,425
    I think his question is for someone like Brad Beal. Is he a 2 or 3? He was a 3 at Florida but a 2 in the NBA. The better question is which position would he earn higher points from the mods?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +21,289
    That's a good question. He would not get any more points no matter which position he was placed at. We will compile a list of the top 5 at each position based on the submitted lists from the members. If he were to be listed more at the 2 then that's the place he would be put in our compilation. I don't think we should have one player in two positions for our final list. Maybe the best thing would be to put him in the position he played at UF.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,130
    Exactly. Also 4/5. Which do you consider say Noah/Horford since they both played together?
  7. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +10,302
    Sounds like another contest that will be worthy of publishing - archiving gator basketball greats as voted by gator fans!
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +21,289
    How about we list them based on their position played the most at UF although an argument for how good they are could be made from both college and pro career.

Sound good?
    • Like Like x 2
  9. gatorbogey

Ratings Received:
    +10,302
    Do you need all positions submitted to the mods all at once or can we submit each position sequentially during the contest as each position comes up for discussion?
  10. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +21,289

All at once, bogey. We won't open up discussion until all the picks are in.
  11. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +21,289
    If I have not made myself clear on any question please let me know.
  12. gatorbogey

Ratings Received:
    +10,302
    Should we first send in a nomination list for each position? Then, our picks for top 5?
  13. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +21,289

Like this: In the order, you feel they should be ranked.

Center:

PF:

etc., until all positions are listed and in one PM. Makes it much easier for us to compile the lists without a mistake.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +21,289
    Let me see if I can give an example of how this would work without making it complicated.

If player A were to list Bart Simpson in his top 5 PGs and Bart falls anywhere in the top 5 when the votes are in then the player would receive 1 point. If Bart is listed at the #3 spot by player A and he falls into that spot in the voting, that would award an additional 2 points to player A, so the participant would get 3 points for that pick. And so on and so on with all picked players and the place they fall in after all votes are in. Also, and I notice I missed it when posting the rules up top, any member who gets all players in that group and in the correct order we would award an additional 5 points.

So if you listed at pg
    1. Bart
    2. Homer
    3. Cheech
    4. Chong
    5. Elvis

And the votes came in with those players not only being in the top 5 but also falling into that order you would receive 1 point for each correct player, 2 points for every correct position you listed them in, and 5 more points for getting them all correct and in the right order.

That would garner

5 + 10 + 5 = 15 points max out of each category.

Hope this helps(and I didn't make a mistake).
    • Like Like x 2
  15. gatorbogey

Ratings Received:
    +10,302
    Can we list “ties”? My top 5 might include 7 players....
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +21,289

Rather you not.:) Let's keep it to 5 in each group so our spreadsheet doesn't get screwy.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. hobegator

hobegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +455
    It looks fun. For research, the first place I'm going is back to the archives from last year's contest. There were good write ups about players before my time and those players deserve some consideration on an all time list like this.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +10,578
    Which "Mods" are involved?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +21,289
  20. gatorbogey

Ratings Received:
    +10,302
    FYI, don’t use the “@“ in the name when adding participants to the conversation: doesn’t work in the conversation. Just the names suffice....