1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

STUDENTS MASSACRED Up to 50 dead in terror attack on Nigeria college

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mocgator, Sep 30, 2013.

1. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,896
    Maybe you should build a bunker in your backyard and stop leaving your house too, just to be safe.
  2. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,860
    It's also not just confined to the catholic church
  3. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Again, how often are you talking with Muslims? Quick, who's the defacto Muslim leader that would satisfy these arbitrary cries?

They denounce it on their international web sites, they denounce it on Youtube. They're a minority in the U.S., so they don't exactly get a big stage.

Like I said, when my neighbor talks about it, I sure get it. I'm not sure what else he's supposed to do (shy of literally killing people, as has been suggested in this thread).
  4. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,896
    What seems more likely: that there is a dearth of muslim voices willing to condemn violence around the world, or that it isnt really stuff the media is interested in providing coverage of? You know, because violence and sex are more interesting than pleas for chastity and "getting along."
  5. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,159
    I don't think anyone, at any point, was arguing that a few Muslims speak for the entirety of the Muslim-population. I could be wrong, but I've yet to see someone say that all muslims are guilty because of their violent counter-parts.

However, obob asked earlier, "can you quantify this?" Have you read the newspapers in the past 50 years? What is there to quantify? The one thing that is linking 95% of the world's terrorists and these actions are their religious beliefs. You act like that is not a correlation worth discussing.

There are terrorists in the world doing really vile things across the globe. It just so happens the vast majority of them are all members of the same religion. I think discussing whether the Muslim-religion has a higher tendency to breed a certain amount of violent extremism within it more than others in our current societal climate is something that is entirely debatable and worth discussing. Why is it so frowned upon to even mention that there could be a link? I don't think anyone outside of a few nuts think every single Muslim is capable of a strapping a bomb to their chest, but it's pretty plain to see that there is one religion that is undoubtedly entwined within the modern world of violent terrorism.

I think considering the intolerance of some countries in the middle-east where Muslims are the vast majority is worth noting too. Muslims and tolerance(in general) aren't exactly often mentioned together.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. gatorman_07732

Ratings Received:
    +4,860
    Perhaps not him but the moderate leadership have the platform to speak out but they're afraid.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Again, where is their stage?

http://www.muhajabah.com/otherscondemn.php

^ I mean, that's a lot, but it doesn't matter. It never would.
  8. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,973
    There's no de facto Muslim leader, but how many countries are there that have Muslim clerics/ government officials? I watch the evening news still for the most part and you don't hear much about it. I'd they're protesting/condemning online great. Didn't know that, and glad to hear it. As far as how many Muslims I know or talk to, just my doc- other than this board I work from home and pretty much don't get out. And she certainly gets it.

The inverse of that is she tells me her entire family disowned her for coming to the US, calling her a traitor, & her brother came to visit once under the pretense of making peace.

He stabbed her in front of her then 3-year-old son, then ran off.

Thankfully she recovered after some major surgery.
  9. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
  10. gatorman_07732

Ratings Received:
    +4,860
    You can find anything on the internet to make a case on just about anything, but there is been literally no press coverage regarding vocal Imams repudiating the actions of the radicals.
  11. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,222
    Then criticize the press, god knows that wouldn't be anything new for the right.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +3,973
    Read it, thank you for that. They really need to do a better job of getting into the MSM then, because not everyone sits there and goes through all these small oddball websites. It's good to see.

I think it's just going to take time and actions to help. Or in some cases inaction, such as the mass riots that form when there's a depiction of Muhammed somewhere. You can't undo public image problems that are this severe overnight. It has taken me years of terrorist act, random violence, targeting innocent civilians, and other situations to bring us to this point. The more people speak out, the more people might start changing their minds. As unfair as that sounds, they are not the only religious group or political group had to deal with something like this or will have to deal with something like this throughout history. And in today's social media, everything both good and bad gets out all over the world.
  13. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    So now you can't criticize them for not speaking out, but can still criticize them for not controlling media coverage?

Good golly.
  14. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,896
    Its almost like a religion that is like 1% of the US population doesnt have much media representation at all, other than as terrorists on TV shows.
  15. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,656
    In related news, gays are killed by Christians in parts of Africa

Cannot compare African/Middle East nations with what happens in the the US and the West

Apples to Oranges before even taking religion into account
    • Like Like x 1
  16. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +3,973
    You're right, its not fair. Just like up until recently, most Hispanic characters and TV shows were either thieves, drug addicts, or something other kind of criminal. Same with other minorities. Unfortunately, minorities are type casted all the time. That's not the fault of the minorities, that is the fault of the entertainment industry, but that really isn't what this is about.

The advantage modern Muslims have is the availability of Technology. And yes they are a very small group in the United States. However, there are other news outlets throughout the world, including the BBC. Obviously, it seems they are starting to take advantage of some of that technology. Just like anything else, it will spread and hopefully more people will hear about it, but it's just simply going to take time especially with all of the violence.
  17. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +3,973
    This is actually a very good point.
  18. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,896
    Exactly right. But I think this applies to print & broadcast news media as well, which is also a "for profit" entity, and not a pro bono service to citizens. News media is more like entertainment media than not like it.
  19. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +3,973
    I agree. News media will post what they think will support their political views. I've long since given up hope on finding news outlets that are unbiased, so I tend to watch several/read online just to educate myself on the issues using a variety of viewpoints.

That said, they need to help themselves, too. For example, a Muslim couple had started a TV station called Bridges which was getting favorable reviews. It was a Muslim TV station, and it broadcasted everything form historical programing to news -- basically it ran the spectrum. The point was to bring about tolerance and show Muslims in a better light.

The guy beheaded his wife at the TV station.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/08/nyregion/08behead.html?_r=0

So now something that was doing some good was forever associated with the very violence it sought to counter. I believe it's still around, but I know Fios pulled it a while ago.

Edit: Correction - the decapitated body was found at the TV station. I honestly don't remember if she was killed there or not.
  20. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,222
    As I've mentioned, they are gaining some traction in the BBC, and even PBS aired one of the documentaries that highlight this issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7p3mUPAAG8

In the first minute, the documentary states that: "But today, Islam is at the very heart of the conflict that defines our world and Muhammad's name is associated with some of the most appalling acts of terrorism the world has ever seen. Osama bin Laden and others who have committed acts of jihad terrorism consistently invoke the Qur'an and Muhammad's example to justify what they are doing." and states its intention to examine the life of Muhammad and how it relates to today and the acts of good and evil that it is used to justify.