1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

STUDENTS MASSACRED Up to 50 dead in terror attack on Nigeria college

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mocgator, Sep 30, 2013.

1. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    I think you mis-read. I said the backlash was not directed towards Christians of all faiths.

What does this mean?

Again, people who are not immersed in or surrounded by Islam in some sense confuse their lack of immersion therein as a lack of rejection. The proverbial tree falling in the woods.

Oh man.

As far as I know, you didn't go to the Vatican, break in and demand action. Therefore, you tacitly accepted it.

Ridiculous.
  2. GT Gator

GT Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +346
    It absolutely does count. The move by the Egyptian military may have been the most promising thing to come out of the Middle East in a long time.

Still, I worry that it's not supported by the majority of Muslims in Egypt. Keep in mind that Morsi won a majority election by the Egyptian populous. Since, he won a majority election, isn't it fair to assume that at least 51.73% (had to look that one up)of Egypt supports Wahhabism (the same sort of extremism that causes attacks like in the OP)? 51.73% of Egypt is very big number.

How do you overthrow? Ask the kids in Egypt, Tunisian, and Libya. They figured out a way.

But seriously, it's the general attitude within the Muslim world towards Saudi Arabia that creates the tacit acceptance of Wahhabism. Despite their atrocities, 2 million Muslims travel each year for the Hajj. And, I've never seen a lick of protest against Saudi's extremism.

Can you imagine the Christian world accepting the Vatican and/or Italy were they doing the same thing to women, homosexuals, and non-Christians? Yikes.
  3. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,181
    The logic of letting the majority of any particular religion's adherents off "the hook" (sorry) for the acts of the minority (hey, the "that doesn't represent me," stuff), fails to distinguish - or gives short shrift to - the violent, murderous, and terrorist acts of the Muslims, contrasted as against the non-terrorist, non-violent acts of any other religious comparison group.

For immediate example, no Christian group that I know of is buckling up explosive-laden suicide belts, racking the AK, and heading to the mall looking for people they have never seen before to first torture, and then kill - by torturing, if possible, or if not, outright shooting in the brain - in the name of their god. Guess which minority group is ?

It is the indiscriminate, random (to us, maybe not to them, as they target "infidels" other Muslims, etc., etc.), and cold-blooded violence against innocent people that is the focus of the debate; not whether some other group makes offensive statements and doesn't represent the majority, or if a minority of Catholic priests were pedophiles.

It is indeed, a false comparison. Sounds good on the surface, but is a logical fallacy.
  4. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    It's not "off the hook" if you aren't responsible. How is guilt by association now considered valid?
  5. mocgator

mocgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +689
    The "moderate" muslims and the "95% of muslims that are peaceful" is crap. It is an awful religion that may be practiced by "some" good people..... but the inescapable fact is that these people are useful idiots. Nothing more. They are left to wear burkas, not vote, be burned alive in schools because they don't have a burka, be beaten to death for dancing in the rain.... etc. Useful idiots.
  6. Lawdog88

Ratings Received:
    +2,181

I did not say you were guilty for either Westboro or Catholicism.
  7. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    I appreciate that, but don't understand why the same courtesy is not extended to non-violent Muslims. Why must they jump through arbitrary, specialized hoops to prove they disapprove of the violence?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. GT Gator

GT Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +346
    First, one of the major complaints against the Catholic Church was that many Bishops and Priests knew of the sexual abuses and did nothing to stop it. That criticism entirely just. The Priest and Bishops that turned a blind eye were nearly as complicit as the abusers themselves.

Second, thankfully once I and the rest of the laity found out, the Church changed relatively rapidly, mostly due to the demands of the laity.

Had it not changed, I don't know if I would have stormed the Vatican, but I do know I wouldn't have continued being Catholic.

Had I continued to attend mass and donate money to the Church despite continued sexual abuse, I certainly would have been tacitly accepting it. Don't you think?
  9. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Not tacitly, no. Do you believe that peaceful Muslims are knowingly donating money to terrorists? You've moved the goalposts.
  10. Lawdog88

Ratings Received:
    +2,181

I can assist your understanding, and will do so in just a little while. Work calls right now.
  11. DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +979
    I told you it was a poor example...
  12. DaveFla

Ratings Received:
    +979
    OBOB takes two steps ahead, and old comes along and takes three giant leaps back...

As poor an example as OBOB is making, you are doing him no favors.
  13. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    It's still apt. If you want a poor example, look to the guy that says if you're not literally out killing terrorists and you're Muslim, it's a tacit approval of terrorism.
  14. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    I'm not a Catholic. I donate to my church. If I didn't personally go to the Vatican to punch the Pope in the face, it's "tacit approval" of the rape and cover up.

I mean ...
  15. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,898
    So, is the purpose of these threads to build support for discrimination against Muslims on religious grounds?
    • Like Like x 1
  16. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    By and large, yes, it's about generalization and dehumanizing. It's easier to dismiss ALL Muslims by conflating them with people who commit horrible acts.

Which is, again, a well-demonstrated exercise through the Westboro analogy, but people seem to unable to grasp this and come back with "BUT WESTBORO DOESN'T KILL PEOPLE!"
  17. DaveFla

Ratings Received:
    +979
    I see them more a reason to purchase a Koran and study like hell lest you become like those in the mall in Kenya, or the students in this thread...

So, what is the name of Mohommed's mother? You know, just in case I run into one of these peaceful Muslims holding a knife to my child's throat and threatening to stab him and stuff his body into a refrigerator, then cut off my fingers, one by one, before gouging my eyes out then hanging me from a meat hook if I answer incorrectly?

Anyone?
  18. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,977
    I wasn't referring to physical violence, so I hope this isn't at me. I would just like them to be more vocal in their protest & indignation when these things happen.... especially to their own people! And to that point, they need to decide what they want. They get angry at the US if they get involved, & angry at the US if they don't get involved (ie, Syria).

It would be good to see Muslim leaders on tv for example consistently speaking against acts of terrorism not just in their own countries but in others, too. People can get together and march/protest. Heck, organize via social media. And no, not everyone can do this, but the problem is not enough are.
  19. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,222
    Aminah.

You don't have to read the Quran, you can get that trivia by watching that PBS/BBC documentary "The Life of Muhammad" I posted last week. :wink:

Heck you'd even also know that Muhammad went on the hijra to the city known as Yathrib (later renamed as Medina) to escape from the quraysh who were polytheists and controlled the kaaba - which Muslims believe to have originally been constructed by Abraham but corrupted by Arabic polytheists - as well as the rest of his native Mecca. The Islamic calendar counts forward from the time of the hijra.

There you go, if you are really scared of being interrogated on Islam by terrorists, hopefully you now have a sufficient knowledge of trivia to pass. :roll:
  20. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    In this thread, Dave realizes that terrorists are not nice.