1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Stretching is good for ... stretching.

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Dreamliner, Dec 14, 2011.

1. LoyalGatorFan

LoyalGatorFan Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +30
    Yes stretching does not reduce injuries altogether but it does reduce the RISK and FREQUENCY of injuries...it lessens the chance of strains and sprains...if you go out and try to run 3 miles without stretching, you are much more likely to pull a quad, calf, hamstring than you would be if you had stretched....so bottom line there is benefits to stretching and I would recommend doing it before AND after activity
  2. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,784
    Well, that's just the thing. Stretch if you like. Don't stop on my account. But studies do not show that stretching prior to running reduces injury in any way, shape of form.

Back when I was running, even when pre-run stretching was religion, I didn't stretch before I ran. Now I did walk before jogging. And I did jog before walking. So, I warmed up appropriately for running. And when I bypassed THESE steps I got myself into trouble.

Again, you have to be flexible if you're a gymnast. You do not have to be flexible if you're a runner.
  3. imnotcrazyiswear

imnotcrazyiswear New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    No stretching before my daily runs this way. Gives me cramps. :)