1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Straight Talk Cell Svc

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by diehardgator1, Aug 27, 2012.

1. diehardgator1

diehardgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +412
    Has anyone used straight talk on a smart phone? I have used phone svc and was very happy with it. I am buying a Samsung nexus 4g phone and interested in how it may perform on straight talk Some people have said it works fine others say it is very slow Any suggestions The phone I am buying is a Verizon phone and straight talk says they use Verizon towers
  2. panamacitygator

panamacitygator Ticket Swap Moderator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +69
    You won't be able to use a CDMA phone on the Straight Talk unless you buy one from them. Now if you can use a GSM phone (At and T or T-mobile) you can bring any phone on their network to Straight talk by buying the Straight Talk sim card for 14.99. Since the Nexus 4g is not available on GSM yet, I would go with the Samsung Nexus S. It has everything the Nexus 4g has except Google Voice.

I have had Straight Talk for over a year and I run a iphone 4 on mine and it runs off At&t network and runs great.
  3. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't Tread on me! VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +811
    Can one of youse explain what "Straight Talk" is?
  4. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    The Nexus S is a bit dated at this point, although can you explain the Google Voice part? Google Voice is definitely available for the Nexus S, which is running Jelly Bean at this point.

The relevant (possibly) point here is that the Nexus S would not support 4G speeds.

Are you going to be buying a phone externally, off-contract? That's going to be pricey, in the $200-$500 range at minimum. There are a lot of good options if you still intend to go that way, but it's a pretty big chunk of change unless you're talking about much older phones like the Nexus S above. The Nexus S will work, but it's at or past the end of its lifespan. I would not anticipate it getting the next major Android release.
  5. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless

Ratings Received:
    +215
    For a good time - or to see the product - click on http://www.straighttalk.com/
  6. diehardgator1

Ratings Received:
    +412
    Thx for the info guys does anyone know of a good prepay I can use my phone on I just do not want to pay verizon 100.00 a month for svc
  7. panamacitygator

panamacitygator Ticket Swap Moderator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +69
    Page Plus has plans that are very affordable...plus you can use any Verizon phone and it works on Verizons network.

Looks your best bet would be the "55" plan. Unlimited voice, text and data (up to 2 GB a month) for $55.00 a month.

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/Online%20Store/Minutes/55%20Plan%20Card.aspx

My wife is on the "12" plan 250 Minutes, 250 Text/Picture Messages, 10 MB of Data

The 12 plan offers 250 domestic voice minutes, 250 domestic text messages, and 10 megabytes of data transfer. All this for $12 a month on one of largest networks in the nation.

She does not use data, only texts occasionally and doesn't ever use more than 100 minutes a month.
  8. diehardgator1

Ratings Received:
    +412
    Signed up with page plus Friday Great reception Drove up 441 to Fargo Ga now that is the sticks and never dropped below 5 bars out of 8 Got to love the price Verizon towers at 85.00 per month for two lines where I was paying Verizon 130.00 per month with no data or emails

I signed my Wife up on the 1200 min for 29.95 I took the 55 plan with unlimited min and 2 gb data Would recommend it to any one
  9. diehardgator1

Ratings Received:
    +412
    Thx Panamacity
  10. diehardgator1

Ratings Received:
    +412
    I have my wife on PP great deal I cannot find anyone who can flash or says they can make my Samsung Verizon nexus i515 work on page plus Any one know any one that can do the job Thx