Stone cold truth........

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Mayhem41, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    driskel is better than kyle morris and donald douglas
  2. swangator

swangator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +192
    Agree that our problem is at the QB position right now but don't agree with the first part of your statement. As the poster above wrote: Brantley was POTY but just didn't pan out -- it happens (see: Olmstead, Sabelhaus). And Driskel would have been a beast in the same O that Tebow ran. Unfortunately for him (even more so than for us) Meyer pulled a Meyer and the young man had the integrity to stick by his commitment which I thought showed a great deal of class. Now we're stuck in the same situation we were with Leak -- round peg/square hole. I give a TON of credit to Chris Leak but without Tebow in '06 to run the Tebow pkg in crucial situations we'd have never, ever won the title. Same thing in reverse: Tebow wasn't experienced enough to have run the gauntlet wall to wall and win those games -- he absolutely needed Chris Leak's leadership and experience to get him into situations where he could be effective. It was a perfect storm that Meyer and Co. deserve a lot of credit for putting together (and I don't give Meyer credit for much these days). But Driskel has no Leak counterpart on the roster to run the drop back portions of this offense in the red zone leaving him to run a pkg that he can be effective at.

Just like I don't think we'll ever again in the Muschamp see a starting RB under 200 lbs., I don't think you'll ever see us again without a pure dropback QB on the roster that can run the kind of offense that Muschamp knows and wants to compliment his D. For him to try and install a type of spread offense that would fit Driskel but none of the other guys on the roster which are mostly his recruits that were recruited for a different type of O would be disastrous (see Auburn circa '08 when Tony Franklin tried to implement the spread with the wrong personnel).

I really love Muschamp, and other than Saban obviously, would anyone really trade him for any other coach in the SEC?

Pinkell - No
    Mullen - No
    Jones - No
    Freeze - No
    Bielema - No
    Franklin - No
    Richt - No
    Miles - No
    Spurrier -- at 68 yrs old -- No
    Sumlin - No (see first half of first game w/out Manziel)
    Stoops - No
    Malzahn -- jury is out

Give the man some time -- I really believe he's going to be a great one. He's playing in perhaps the toughest era of all time in SEC football and he went 11 - 1 with a QB that should be playing for Malzahn or Meyer. That's simply incredible folks. With Will Grier and his defense, look out.
  3. UGator

UGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Driskel is a wonderful person and athlete, and it is said he has improved his leadership and respect from players.

However, his vision and decision making on the field may never improve to the extent he can take over a game and will his team to victory. It's a talent the best QB's possess, but maybe he is a better MLB talent and not football as much. Sure wish I'm wrong, but in his third year, there isn't enough improvement.

The coaching and team preparation in the first quarter, namely lethargic defense and run game, was just not acceptable and reminds me of the Sugar Bowl melt down. Then all the TO's against a team that we have no chance to make amends, perhaps for good.