Stolen AMEX = New flat screen

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by zippyzee, Aug 26, 2013.

1. zippyzee

zippyzee VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    I always thought this happened to other folks. Got an email from Am. Express that I had a suspicious charge on my card this last friday. Seems someone charged over $2000 using my card at H.H. Gregg in Jacksonville. WTF! I haven't been to Jax in years. Neither of my Amex cards were missing! Immediately called Amex and they were very helpful. Cancelled the old card and H.H. Gregg charges. New cards are on the way overnight. How the hell did something like this happen? If I went to any store and bought two grand worth of stuff they'd want some kind of other ID and a pint of blood! Amex said this "happens all the time" and that the crooks probably used a fake card using my card number. Oh, BTW they also charged food and drinks at a wing house as well. Guess they needed a new flat screen TV and some wings to enjoy this weekends games! Hope the TV craps out and they choke on the wings!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,390
    Probably a couple of mutts.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Strikepackagegator

Strikepackagegator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,364
    I got hit for $2600 a couple of years ago and the charges were in Vladivostok, Russia! F'ers got a hold of my card number when my wife ordered something online and made a fake card! My Credit union immediately refunded me and handed it over to the FBI fraud dept. Makes you feel violated though!
    • Like Like x 2
  4. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +860
    I give my amex # out over the phone about weekly. I'm always scared of this so I go over my statement with a fine tooth comb every month.
  5. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +768
    The good news in this is AMEX typically has excellent customer service/ fraud resolution. Most every time I go out of town and use the card for any significant $$ I get a call.

And Im a bean counter so I look at my bank accounts/credit cards on line at least a couple of times a week just to catch stuff early. We' ve had a few issues in the past, starting with a cloned ATM card. In two days a grand was gone.
  6. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,279
    Got a call early one Sunday morning from a vendor in New Jersey (I live in California).
    Somebody there had attempted to buy an $800 video recorder with my credit card #
    ....and have it shipped to the country of Qatar.

The vendor denied the purchase, but it infuriated and scared the living chit out of me.
  7. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +735
    What a coincidence, I bought this $2000 TV with a card I found. When I got the TV setup at home the picture didnt look as good as it did in the store so I took it back. They said they would just credit the original credit card but when they tried to do that, it got rejected so they ended up just giving me store credit :wink:
  8. zippyzee

zippyzee VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    Yeah, I hope these guys were smart enough to get the 3 year extended warranty plan just in case!!