Steve Spurrier SEC Media Days Transcript

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorGrowl, Jul 15, 2014.

1. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,028
    I can't recall SC having a better OL than the one they have this year. They have 6 OL who have excelled. Their LOT is a little slow for speed rushers, but they might just be able to run the ball most of the day on most.

Dylan Thompson was unreal two years ago and came down to earth some last year. But that's the nature of being a back-up QB.
  2. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,968
    Seemed to me like Shaw had done it more often than the Mizzou game. Regardless, Shaw is widely accepted as the driving force behind the success of that Gamecock team the past couple of years.

I've seen Thompson play, and seen both good and bad from him. I haven't seen a guy that I'd be putting my money on.

To your point of not knowing until they do it, I don't think that's necessarily true. Manziel never won a championship, but he is clearly a guy capable of playing at that level, and certainly raised aTm's ability to compete in the SEC the last couple of years.

In the little I saw of Mauk at Mizzou last year, I'd say he is a guy that clearly has it. He may not have the supporting cast, but he has the ability and intangibles to lead that team to victories. He will win them games they wouldn't otherwise win.

The intangibles, in confidence, leadership ability, toughness, poise, awareness, vision... those are things that are difference makers on the field that you can see in some guys, and you can see their teammates rally around.

IMO, neither Thompson at USCe, nor JD here, have consistently demonstrated those qualities to date. I am not saying they won't... just that I haven't seen it yet.

Hopefully JD takes that next step this year.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,214
    He sure was unreal. 8-20 for 83 yards, 1 INT and a deer in the headlights look the entire game against Florida, who pounded USCe, 44-11...

Their OL does seem to be the best they ever had, however. With a good RB in Mike Davis, they will grind the ball out.