Steve Spurrier SEC Media Days Transcript

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorGrowl, Jul 15, 2014.

1. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,513
    Shaw has bailed him out a few times that I recall.
  2. DBCooper

DBCooper Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,105
    Dabo has the best staff in the ACC and according to Worm, outrecruits Spur's but has lost to him 5 years in a row - including one year when Clemson was a heavy favorite at home and USCe had to play a young backup QB named Thompson. In that game Thompson completed 3 of 3 long yardage third down passes that literally insured the upset. I look for USCe's offense to be the best since Spur's arrived.

Clemson's Florida "in" is Brad Scott who is from Florida, has coached at FSU during the BB era and in recent years has been father, pastor, counselor and encourager for Clemson's freshmen during their first year on campus. Brad makes a great impression on moms, dads and grandparents for all the right reasons.

In another direction, I think beating USCe is more important to us than beating Bama (to get to the SEC championship game) and I think we have the horses to do it - especially at home. I love what SOS did at UF but hate being on the wrong end of his quips and quotes.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +485
    ....only team to offer him a job in 2004... Little shot there lol.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,513
    Agree USCe is more important than Bama to us (as are all the East division games).

If we split LSU/Bama and run the table on the East slate, we're in. That's going to be real tough, though.
  5. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,087
    Uncanny, isn't it. Kinda like Zook owning Georgia and FSU on the field. Some things are unexplainable. As for their best offense, it certainly could be -- but they will still be rush-dominant. Spurrier learned his lesson. Could be wrong, though, and Dylan Thompson will fill the air with long passes. Coould happen, too, as USCe only plays two or three good defenses this year while we play five...

And I never said that Clemson has the best recruiting staff in the ACC. That clearly belongs to Florida State. All I said was that for all the hoopla about Spurrier's recruiting at USCe, he is still second in the state, and that has been true since he arrived.

As for Thompson versus Clemson, he indeed had a great game -- against a team with the 63d ranked total defense and a 71st ranked pass defense. He had two long throws on 3d down: A 3d and 16 for 34 yards and a TD, and with 3d and 10 for 24 yards, eventually resulting in a FG. That 10-point spread was the margin of victory.

But probably more important was USCe's defense, which only allowed Clemson 328 yards. That was the second lowest number of yards gained by Clemson all year (after 295 yards gained against Virginia Tech).

Let's see what Thompson does against Georgia, with their experienced defense. If he drops 300+ yards on them, then I'll sit up and take notice. Not many do. Then we'll see how well he does against the Gators. last time he played us, he had that deer in the headlights look.

He must make quite an impression to outrecruit a coach who won seven SEC titles at Florida...

I also think it is more important to beat USCe than Bama. Thankfully, I think USCe is a tossup. Bama is not.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,087
    Could also have been a shot to LSU, who hired Miles...
  7. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,579
    That's kind of a blanket comment. Don't most players improve? Not that he'll do any better this time around, his Senior season (see Peyton Manning). But usually players improve from their freshman & sophmore seasons to their senior season. Usually. Especially players coached by Spurrier. You could easily say the same thing about the last time Driskel played against Bama....
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +485
    Lol.
  9. benheb

benheb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,204
    Agree with the part about needing to beat USCe but beating Bama would be sweet - our program sorely needs it. The day we are on the wrong end of those quotes is the day I stop rooting for USCe but until then I'll continue to do so as long as the Gators aren't adversely impacted.
  10. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +806
    Dylan Thompson did very well against Clemson a couple of years ago at their place. Lattimore was out again for the year at that point and they were rather one dimensional. SC pretty much moved the ball at will in Athens, like a lot of other teams last year. I like their chances in Columbia.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. LurkerExposed

LurkerExposed Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    No QB is a SEC championship quality QB truly until they win the SEC championship. This sort of evaluation is only accurate once the player has taken all his shots, not prior...

Games that Connor Shaw has come in and "saved" that Thompson started:

Missouri

Games that Dylan Thompson has come in and "saved" that Shaw started:

Michigan
    UCF

And Thompson came in for an injured Shaw versus UAB in a blow-out win, although I wouldn't call that "saving" the game for Shaw as our walk-on QB could've whipped UAB that season...
  12. tafc_5_1981

tafc_5_1981 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +378
    Who is 3-0 vs USCe
  13. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,087
    Georgia's defense was green and plagued with injuries last year. They will be better this year. Let's see how many 3d and longs Dylan will run out of against them...
  14. tafc_5_1981

tafc_5_1981 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +378
    I was wondering how many zingers he threw at FL after suffering from TMT (too much Tebow) and 56-6 in 2008.
  15. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +806
    Miles had some help from a tackling referee against Spurrier ... in Columbia no less.
  16. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,087
    Oh, so it had nothing to do with out-coaching him...
  17. CockyInSeattle

CockyInSeattle Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +442
    Well, I was half joking. I'm old enough that what I consider to be obnoxious would probably go unnoticed.
  18. CockyInSeattle

Ratings Received:
    +442
    Well, there are recruiting rankings, and then there's Stephon Gilmore, Alshon Jeffery, Marcus Lattimore, and JD Clowney. Those are all high profile guys that have helped to put SC on the map, and make instate kids want to play at home. And it's starting to make a more regional impact.

As far as rankings, the 2015 class is ranked #2 by some. It seems the mix has more out of state talent.

Spurrier has some very good recruiters on his staff, so the credit certainly doesn't necessarily completely belong to him. He does seem to have a great talent at assembling great coaching staffs. How many coaches that worked under SOS went on to head coaching jobs?
  19. CockyInSeattle

Ratings Received:
    +442
    Worst for me was the Missouri game. He was pushing everything. Apparently he has spent a lot of time re-watching film of that game, and the two yards short that cost us the UT game. He does seem to have a good arm, intelligence, and drive. He's only got one year to prove himself, and he has a tough act to follow (pun intended).
  20. Distant Gator

Distant Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +758
    And just to be clear, the LSU job was not open when SOS was on the market. SOS had been hired by the time Saban left. So it wasn't a shot.