Steve Addazio seeking the next Tebow

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GATORAZ, Aug 5, 2014.

1. leogator

leogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    He recruited cam Newton and if Cam had kept his hands to himself he probably would have won another NC while Meyer was here. I think his assistants leaving him definitely hurt him. I though he should have stayed retired the first time, but I think he came back to save the No. 1 recruiting class.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. leogator

leogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    Utah was not elite until he made them so. Bowling Green did not have a lot of success until he got there.
  3. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    How many of those kids did he recruit and play when he was there? I said he will go down as a great coach
  4. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    He recruited a kid that either got kicked out of school or chose to leave. That is on Meyer. Just like Muschamp if Demarcus Robinson gets in trouble again gets kicked off the team goes to JUCO and ends up leading the nation in WR at Auburn or some other place that love reclamation projects it is on Muschamp. When you recruit character is a part of the evaluation process.

Which goes back to the article Greg saw a player that he felt had great character and a skill set to me successful at UF you have to give Meyer and his staff credit for Tebow. I have seen many say that Tebow was coming to UF no matter who was the coach I dont actually believe that.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,748
    He lost interest, like he always does, and probably always will. That's his way, unfortunately. Not our probelm anymore. OSU will be in that scenario soon. UF brings more pain to OSU! Lol
  6. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    I dont think he lost interest at all. I actually think he became more involved in everything and made mistakes. He also ran into problems he didn't know how to fix because he had never been in a place long enough to have faced them before. It will be interesting to see how he deals with everything at OSU especially breaking in a new QB in 2015.
  7. nolagator

nolagator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +400
    Addazio is now HC at BC. That is why I said Zook. Addazio was acting HC because Meyer had checked out. I KNOW ZOOK IS A "D" GUY. DUH!!!! I didn't like Addazio's play calling. Let him coach in the SEC, Pac 12, or Big 12. And his starting QB? I love the guy BUT could he make it in the SEC?

As for Meyer:
    He checked out - LAME
    He said he quit for his family - REALLY!!!
    He is an Ohio Valley Guy - Florida was a means to an end
    He recruited thugs
    He played favorites - And not just on the field
    Winning is great BUT I question his character and if I am a fool so be it.
  8. DMann

DMann Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +572
    The Dazzler better take Mattison with him as by his own admission, neither he nor Oscar knew how important TT was going to be to their mutual success. Without TT, The Dazzler would probably not be a HBC today and Meyer would be a sick puppy.
  9. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,087
    Or even when Mullen was there. Remember the Spinner?
  10. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,087
    Speculation. He was very active on the sideline every game. Gator fans love to resort to this because if a great Florida coach has a substandard season, the kneejerk reaction is to blame the coordinator. I've seen this twisted logic on this board a million times.

More conference nonsense. Boston College was in the ACC when they had 4-8 and 2-10 records. Addazio's first season was 7-6. Let's put him in the Gawdalmighty SEC. A coach coaches.

Yawn...nothing here is unique to Meyer.
  11. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,087
    More speculation. The coach that compelled Tim to remain at Florida was Larry Fedora, even after he left.
  12. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,087
    One of the Undeniable Rules of the Gator Nation is:

If the head coach is beloved...

* Any losses or other misfortunes is the fault of the coordinator.

* If the beloved head coach IS a coordinator, the OTHER coordinator is always blamed (Zook, Pruitt, Hoke)

* If the head coach and ONE of the coordinators are beloved, the OTHER coordinator is blamed (Mullen, Addazio)

* If the head coach and BOTH coordinators are beloved, then a reviled player is blamed (Johnson, Leak)

* If the head coach, both coordinators AND quarterback is beloved, the another player is blamed (Kestahn Moore, Kyle Jackson, etc).

This is as consistent as death and taxes. I rebutted people who slammed Mullen early on (remember the famous regular poster here who said that he knew more about college football offenses than Mullen?) and slammed Addazio. Both OCs were running Urban Meyer's offense, and Meyer had a headset on until the final snap of the Penn State game in 2010.

HE...WAS...INVOLVED! In 2009 and 2010, Meyer, who was beloved, HAD TO BE PROTECTED! So the logical goat was Addazio. "Meyer checked out; his heart wasn't in it; just cashed it in..." ROTFLMAO!! Did it occur to ANYONE that the reason why we struggled was:

* 12 new starters due to attrition. When we lose 12+ starters prior to the season, Florida averages 8-5 since the early 1980s.

* his choice to replace Tebow was booted, leaving him with a quarterback that shouldn't have come here.

* A quarterback carousel with the starter in the Leak "square peg, round hole" position while not having near the talent to even try to make it work.

* an injured quarterback carousel. When Les Miles had this quarterback trainwreck, he also went 8-5.

Why does it ALWAYS have to be someone's FAULT? There is so much in a season that is out of everyone's hands. Why the desperate, dire need to assign blame?

It was only until Meyer bolted ESPN for Ohio State that people really started to slam Meyer. I was a critic of many of Meyer's decisions from the time he got here. Now I defend him from the emotionally irrational. What a crazy world...
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  13. nolagator

nolagator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +400
    Worm:

I love ya brother and you seem to know your stuff (X&O) BUT we will have to agree to disagree. Mine are Character Issues. Meyer lied and lied often and when Addazio was coaching, EVERY THING was WONDERFUL just ask him. If they both go undefeated so be it. I wish them well but I am not pining the loss.

So when Addazio was OC who called those God Awful Games? It was either Urban or Addazio? Like I said earlier, I don't like either one. The "O" the last few years under Meyer were nothing but painful.

As for Mullen, I have a friend who is a MSU Grad. He was so unhappy with the culture under Mullen his son is now playing for a different team and he has pulled ALL support for MSU until things changed. Oh, and he was not the only parent to do so.

I am not being sour grapes. My pick would be Kerwin (before you stroke out I know it would not happen) and I would have loved to have seen Doc Holiday or Bob Stoops in the Swamp. And there is NO GOOD REASON Charlie Strong was passed over all these years.

BUT one thing I like about Champ is that he holds himself accountable and seems to hold the players accountable. He may not tell you anything during the week but he does take the blame.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,358
    I'd kill for Daz's 2009 offense about now. Painful? Yeah... if being in the top 10 in the NATION of total offense is painful, then bring me some pain.
  15. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,779
    You covered a lot of ground there, nola.

I heard Mullen was an ass, and that's why people don't like him. But he was ass enough to counter Meyer and push the offense a bit, where Meyer would be more conservative.

I think Addazio suffered from overload (too many jobs concurrently), and probably just didn't push back as effectively as Mullen did. Regardless of the reason, we became entirely too conservative and predictable with Addazio as OC. Not having Harvin played a big part as well, no doubt. But with that roster, us not doing any better scoring on SEC teams than our 2012 offense did? That's just crazy.

I think Muschamp will grow into a very good coach, but I agree with you on Strong deserving a shot.
  16. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +6,779
    2009? 26ppg in SEC competition. 54th in the nation, and virtually identical to our 2012 offense. But 2009 had a ton more talent and experience.

I'm not a big believer in total offense, but we were 370.6 ypg in SEC competition in 2009... 63rd in the country. And it was a pretty easy schedule as our schedules go.
  17. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,358
    Well 2012 definitely had a tougher schedule, but the 2009 offense was still light years better than 2012.

2009:
    #10 rushing offense in the country
    # 41 passing offense
    #6 total offense
    #10 scoring offense
    http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2009&div=IA&site=org

You're telling me you would take the above stats in a heart beat for 2014?? I sure would.

2012:
    #39 rushing offense
    #114 passing offense
    #103 total offense
    #76 scoring offense
    http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2012&div=IA&site=org
  18. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +6,779
    What I'm telling you is that the 2009 team did a good job running up some stats on very weak teams, while it performed barely better against SEC competition than the 2012 team did. 26ppg vs 25.7ppg. They did gain more yards (370ypg vs 329ypg), but they didn't exactly set the conference on fire, and again, scoring was a lock.

I guess it's nice to enjoy a blow out wins against Charleston Southern and Troy and FIU, but it's not meaningful in the big picture. When it came down to playing SEC teams, the one meaningful difference between 2009 and 2012, was the 2009 team forced UGA into turn overs, while 2012 it was the other way around.

I sincerely hope we can do better than the 2009 offense this year, but if we're in that ballpark it could be enough to win a lot of games.
  19. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,087
    I have reasons for believing why Strong wouldn't take the job if it was offered, but it would definitely be controversial.
  20. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +6,779
    If we're talking about a potential offer now (if Muschamp was terminated), I expect you are correct. Getting passed over twice is not something he could have been thrilled about... especially if HC experience was given as a reason and then we hired Muschamp. And if his personal life was perceived to be part of the issue, that would add more fuel to the fire.

Plus now, he's got one of the best gigs in the country.
    • Agree Agree x 2