Staying the course

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by LeafUF, Apr 29, 2012.

1. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +355
    I don't know how it is for anyone else but for me Summer is the hardest time to stay committed to my fitness routine. Both in not overeating and getting my butt to the gym. I am sure others will say the fall with the football games and all that goes along with it. For me though it is definitely this time of year.

If I am not away somewhere on a trip of my own someone is probably in town visiting (I live in Las Vegas so this happens a lot). I definitely can not go two weeks without having one or the other and both cause problems with my eating and workout schedule.

Now I do not mind taking time off from the gym or not being as as conscious about what I am eating for a short time. The hard part for me is just getting back on track once the trip or visit is over. I got back from Coachella just about a week ago and am just now starting to feel like I am getting back into routine.

So with something going on every other week or so all the way until Fall rolls around you can see how this might become an issue.

Aside from just sucking it up and getting right back into the gym and doing some grocery shopping are there any things you guys do to get back on track after a vacation?
  2. ThomasGoldkamp

ThomasGoldkamp New Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    Partner, partner, partner.

I find it almost impossible to get back on track once you're off. Having a partner that won't allow you to say "Eh, I'm not gonna work out today" really helps.

For me, summer is the easiest. I'm not all that busy and I go out to the pool every now and then so that's motivation in and of itself.

It's almost impossible for me to stay on schedule in the fall because football gets so crazy busy work-wise.
  3. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +843
    I suppose I'm no help. I enjoy training so much that I need a vacation to enforce time off.

But as to the eating, I find that flexible dieting is the way to go. For example, if I know I'm going to eat a large meal for dinner, I just skip breakfast AND lunch. No harm, no foul.

I know, I know, you may ask, "But what if I'm going to eat two or three large meals ?"

Why ?
  4. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +355
    I love training too, have been doing it for more than half my life. Sometimes though I just have a hard time getting back into it after a lay off.

The diet problem is more about not knowing as opposed to eating a lot. If I am on vacation or have a friend visiting we eat out most meals, which for me is twice a day. That does not necessarily mean I will eat a lot. But without fail it will take me a few days afterwards to get back in the habit of making my own meals instead of eating out.

Basically, if I take a break of a few days for whatever reason I need to get that break to stick to just those few days and not let it linger a few more until I am back to normal.
  5. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +843
    Yes, but don't you return to habitual levels of eating quickly ? Don't you, without undue difficulty, maintain some sort of homeostasis.

I know lots of people who just get fatter and fatter. But most people, though perhaps technically overweight, seem to settle in at a particular weight range within which they may fluctuate 5-10 lbs.

Now, if you want to get ripped ... that's another animal.
  6. Zendra

Zendra New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I keep a framed picture of myself photoshopped to show the body I do not want to have. I can easily get back to working out after one session like that.
  7. lurkingator1

lurkingator1 -,~--~,< … Go Gators, Living among the savages Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,683
    I did not want to start a thread for this and not that I am one to talk but lately ever picture I see of coach Muschamp his belly looks bigger, :awkward:guess the all the baroque at off season speaking engagements don’t help either ? I found I always gain weight in the fall because of all the ballgames and the eating and drinking assocated with them , hey that's how I roll! :laugh: but I find it easier to work out in the fall too :wink:
  8. ClowntownGator

ClowntownGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I agree with the poster who mentioned partner. Having an accountability buddy keeps you in check on days when you want to veer off course.

I personally have quite a few accountability buddies, one of which isn't even a great friend. That's a good thing, though, because he and I don't hesitate to lay it on the other for slacking off. Sometimes with tight friendships, you're a bit afraid to get on someone for slacking off.
  9. ThomasGoldkamp

ThomasGoldkamp New Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    Accountibilibuddies!
  10. deviation

deviation Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Ha, That's a good one. Very true as well.
  11. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +843
    One strategy that helps me to stay on course is "same but different." That is, it's okay to change exercises as long as I'm getting a push, a pull and a lower body movement.

And in fact, the key to my being happy with the way I look every day is to continue to become stronger in the aforementioned movements and disciplined eating.
  12. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,053
    Can't find a buddy anywhere near my age with the same fitness goals. They're either completely dedicated to running or they're the people from my dojo, who are totally against upper body work. The other problem is that I built my workout schedule around everyone else's work schedule, late morning or early afternoon.

My only real workout buddies are on this forum.
  13. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +355
    Funny you should say that. I do think this forum helps keep me motivated at times when I otherwise would not be. My recent exposure to www.fitocracy.com has a similar effect.

But as far as having a gym partner I have no luck finding one and then keeping them. Friends will join me here and there but no one sticks around long enough to make any real progress.

I just got back from another trip and just decided to dive right in and hit the gym right away. After five days off I figured even a bad workout was better than no workout. And trust me after the eating and drinking I did in New York City I needed it.
  14. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,053
    Trying to get my daughter back into it. She's quite an athlete, but is a little intimidated by the weights. I'd like to teach her a routine that we can do together, that she can take to school with her in the fall. She enjoys running more than anything else, but when winter hits in Boston, she's indoors until April at least. Her school has awesome fitness facilities. Hopefully she'll get into some intramural sports. She's a good defender in soccer and will be a high level middle in V-ball. Got recruited by Sarah Lawrence, even after sitting out her senior year. But I don't know how many games they play a season or if she'll even do it at all. She's been vegging out since she quit her AAU team. She needs to have a fitness routine going before she gets there, or that freshman-15 is going to hit her fast.
  15. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +355
    My sister was also really intimidated by weights until this last year. She got a trainer and found a gym with a women's section. Less intimidating with no dudes around to hit on her I guess. She has graduated to the full gym on some lifts though. And yet she still has noodle arms.
  16. kalaniocc

kalaniocc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +776
    im bored at work and thought i would dig this thread up. i watch youtube videos a lot to get motivated. old school lifting gets me pretty inspired (pumping iron, total rebuild, etc). ill browse my mentor's website which is full of stuff i have read over and over about lifting and diet.. and it gets me focused. ill think about my workout and psych myself up for it.. and i think about how i want to be and what i must do to get there. it kind of drives me into the gym each day.
  17. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    If you live in Florida make sure you're at the pool or beach at least once a week and you'll stay motivated.
  18. kalaniocc

Ratings Received:
    +776
    that was a significant factor when i was in florida. in utah - it definitely does not play as big a role as it did in florida, which sucks. when i moved out here, i was not used to essentially hiding under layers of clothing for 6-7 months out of the year.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    It gets hot in Utah in the summer, so I'm not sure I understand this one. No lake near you?
  20. kalaniocc

Ratings Received:
    +776
    Well yeah, it is fine from late May to the end of Sept. I'm just saying in florida, I didn't need clothes all year round for the most part- significantly more motivation to be fit.