Staver time?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by GreenandScaly, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +329
    We need to go after more QBs from Texas and California. There is some stat that shows a lot of NFL QBs are from those states. The HS programs there are just really good at developing QB talent, and they are a lot more college ready the other places.

That way we won't be waiting for our QBs to develop when they get here.
  2. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    We wont get the one we want it still wont matter. There have been plenty of Texas QB's that didnt pan out. You need time in a system like ours.
  3. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    I think they will If thier jobs are really on the line they might go to a more conservative approach
  4. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +329
    Why won't we? I'm not saying just blindly take Texas QBs, but your odds are going to be a lot better if you focus in that area. How can OK St get so many awesome QBs, but we've been struggling since Cam Newton left? Just some bad evaluation and/or recruiting.

Also, you don't need THAT much time. Kellen Moore was successful as a redshirt freshmen at Boise. One of the strength's of Boise's system is suppose to be the ease of learning it. There is always going to be some growing pains when a new system is implemented, but once it starts going, it shouldn't be that difficult for new players to learn it.
  5. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    It will be hard to get top QBs to come play in this boring offense
  6. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    The people that were around Kellen had been in the system for awhile

We have had bad players around them as well. You give those guys Percy and the offense is much better.

People say our WR's played well yesterday but none of the starters are going to be in the NFL

None of the TE's we played yesterday are going to be in the NFL.
  7. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    It is boring because of lack of playmakers. They can get QB's
  8. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +628
    Driskel will be the starter until kick off of 2015. Hopefully, Grier get some meaningful PT next yr and is a ready and capable sophomore surrounded by big time weapons..

I suggest those who hate JD and this offense take the next 20 Florida games off and show up then. Otherwise, you'll just be getting yourselves all worked up every weekend when he makes a mistake or we lose a game.
  9. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +329
    1) Well, now you are moving the goal post. You said the QB had to be in the system for a while. If we get a QB already developed in the passing game, he would only really need a year in our system to start succeeding at a reasonable rate since we have plenty of players currently in our system.

2) I don't know why you are so down on our receivers. How do you know Dunbar can't find an NFL team? I remember in 2009, everyone said we didn't pass because we didn't have any good WRs. Cooper almost went to the MLB the year before.

Now looking back, all of these guys have made NFL rosters: Cooper, Hernandez, David Nelson, and Deonte Thompson.

Our passing game has improved significantly since last year (WR and OL). Driskel is the only who hasn't made a similar type of jump. Not writing him off, but he is definitely the weak link right now.
  10. GATORnGA31909

GATORnGA31909 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    Problem is we didnt sign a QB that was worth a crap in the 2012 or 2013 class..Staver and Mornhinweg were a waste of scholarships...Before that Meyer didnt sign anything great after Tebow that could be starting now..2010 no QB signed, only guy we got out of that was an athlete with Tyler Murphy. 2011 We got Driskel, the best in the nation who excelled in a spread option QB run type offense with zero to no passing at a small time school and Brissett who was a 3 star QB ranked 25th in the country that transfered..Our Biggest downfall with the team is QB play, but what can ya expect, we havent got a really good QB for this type of system in many many years..Grier could be the start of something special, but it will be at least the 2015 season before he gets a snap.

The next problem I hit on in previous threads we have missed on a bunch of really bigtime O-lineman..We do have some good ones on the roster but 2 of them are out injured. We made some nice pick ups with transfers, but they havent been impressive yet.

If we ever want this offense to get better we got to recruit better O-lineman like Alabama does and get the bigtime QB's who can come and contribute early..not the duds we've been getting..The skill players will get better as well just by adding those necessary pieces of the offense. We have gotten some studs at TE, RB, and WR who are still young and cant excel with the O-line and QB we have. So friday when Muschamp gets out recruiting he needs to really go hard on the offensive side of the ball..especially OL
  11. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +628
    Bama has a bunch of 3 star OL starting right now and they got abused in game 1. But I agree with your viewpoint.
  12. VTGator

VTGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +50
    This is an elementary logical fallacy. California and Texas are the two most populous states by far. Of course more NFL QBs are from those states, just due to that fact alone. That doesn't make it any easier to find and get the ones that are going to be NFL caliber.
  13. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    What high school QB is already developed?

2 Dunbar might but he is a late round pick at best. You know when you see elite talent at the WR position.

3. Part of the passing game improving is Jeff but some wont want to admit it. Jeff is staying in the pocket longer and going through reads.
  14. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +628
    yeah, USC and UT's homegrown QBs are really lighting it up aren't they.
  15. GATORnGA31909

Ratings Received:
    +65
    Your absolutely right, they did get abused week 1 with their O-line, goes to show ya what ya get with those type of players...One thing I think differs them from us is they always seem to develop their line faster regardless of stars...by the end of the year their line will look like 5 stars. Do you think it might be time to find another OL coach?
  16. gator7_5

Ratings Received:
    +628
    We'll see. The 3 first rounders from last years Bama OL had a lot to do with the recent string of success.
  17. GATORnGA31909

Ratings Received:
    +65
    I agree, but their was development involved with their success as well..somebody there knows what their doing with the O-line
  18. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    It takes 3 years for an Oline player to develop. Meyer left Muscahmp with almost nothing in that area. We are starting a OT that is 280lbs.
  19. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +329
    I meeeean, that was the whole point of my argument. Texas and Cali QBs tend to be more developed in the passing game to their HS programs. I just don't want any more athletic guys who have the potential develop. Meyer would do that way to much at all positions.
  20. GATORnGA31909

Ratings Received:
    +65
    Arie Kouandjio a three star Olineman..developed into a first rounder...Chance Warmack 3 star turned NFL First rounder....Barrett Jones a 4 star turned NFL first rounder. DJ Fluker was the only 5 star guy they had last year...but you can see what i mean about the Development..Bama can turn these guys into bigtime...I think we may need to look into hiring a new Oline coach..but hey what do I know.