States most and least dependent on federal govt

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Mar 26, 2014.

1. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,116
    Cali and Colorado have higher population offsets...Nevada has lots of tourism dollars. Not saying it is the only consideration, but my point is there are a lot of dynamics involved in the figures besides just those 3 measures. Wyoming, for example, gets significant income from energy extraction taxes that offsets our very low population.

Florida and Arizona are probably higher up the list than they would be if they were less popular with retirees.

Their research and is sound...just an incomplete picture to think that there aren't more dynamics involved in level of fed dollars going to different states.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  2. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,788
    it shouldn't be surprising to anyone that the poorer states receive more federal aid, just like poorer individuals receive more federal aid

just one of many instances, where conservative politics are just a projection of their own inadequacies at home

'do as i say, not as i do'
  3. gatorjd95

gatorjd95 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +140
    Has it been six months already? I mean, you can set your watch to the frequency with which the left throws out this nonsense. Every state has its own demographics, industry, tax base, population size, etc. that spits out the numbers. To conclude that the results show red states as mooching off the system is convenient nonsense and low brow analysis.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. arnie

arnie New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    Always nice to see another example of the factless right-wing Bizarro World they are able to create for themselves.

Next thing ya know, those righties will be telling us how they are fiscally conservative and favor small government. :)

Facts be damned, all of them !!!! :D
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Boring Boring x 1
  5. wcj786

wcj786 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +235
    What gets me is that it seems like the libbies are now complaining that the RED states get so much more than the Blue states do. Yet, they bitch and moan when conservatives talk about limiting welfare and unemployment. They can't have it both ways. The states that get more money are poorer than those who get less. So, on a state basis, they want to decry liberalism, since it takes away from the blue states. But, on a person by person basis, they demand more and more money.

Yet, the larger percentage of poverty stricken people are in those states that the most. So, it's a never ending conundrum for them. If they demand the states receive equal percentages from the federal gub'mint, then they can't demand that all welfare recipients get equal treatment. If they demand that welfare recipients get the same percentage raise (libs deem any money given to a welfare recipient as a salary), then they have the problem that certain red states continue to get more money than blue states.

Damn, what to bitch about if you're a liberal. Do you complain about the welfare recipient or the blue states not getting enough money?

Well, the answer to that is they bitch about both. Even though there is a direct correlation between them, they have no problems spewign their hypocrisy and demanding both situations be met to their satisfaction.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. gatorjd95

gatorjd95 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +140
    These are percentages based upon per capita allocation. I think if you looked at the hard numbers, you'd find that the large "blue" states actually receive a much greater amount of fed money - which does make sense on the most basic level. The problem, as discussed above, is that the libs spin a mathematical calculation as determinative of some kind of hypocrisy without acknowledging the myriad of factors that underlie the calculation that would present a narrative other than the alleged hypocris
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,297
    Do you see hypocrisy in the fact that red states are primarily takers from the blue states?
  8. gatorjd95

gatorjd95 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +140
    (as one example) So, a large population of people living in blue states pay their income tax. Over years, many of them retire and move to FL/AZ/NM/etc where they pay little to no tax, but receive their Social Security payments. In your mind, this means that those red states are mooching off blue states - aha, the dreaded hypocrisy. Or, as I wrote above, the underlying bases for the revenue and expenditures tell a very different story. Oh nevermind - you are bright enough to understand these concepts, you, like many on the left, just want to glibbly declare some made-up victory of something.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,297
    First, did you read the methodology?
    Besides, Delaware, the least dependent, has a higher percentage of 65+ than either Arizona or New Mexico, which you mentioned. And higher than states like Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Louisiana, Tennessee ... all in the 10 most dependent.
  10. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,936
    Delaware should give away some of those cushy, well paying Federal govt jobs to other states. Not giving equal weight to that metric is a flaw in this analysis IMO.

But, it is what it is.
  11. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,297
    Huh? It has far fewer federal jobs than average.
  12. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,936
    Yep. I misread it.

One thing interesting though. When you rank things like this, inevitably someone has to be number one and another number 51 in each category, with only fractions of a percentage point separating the majority in the middle.

It does a nice job of painting republican states as hypocrites though. Which was the point to begin with.
  13. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,297
    I doubt it was Wallethub's point. Like I said, they produce a bunch of lists and I haven't seen a political agenda behind them.
    It was, however, my point. But when you guys go on and on about being the makers and blue states being the takers, it seems fair to point out that your claim is not only false, it's actually the opposite of what's really going on.
  14. alfredo

alfredo New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    I must be refrigerated after opening if you didn't make me yourself.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. gatorjd95

gatorjd95 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +140
    And, DE is also a haven for a lot of corporations who file their taxes from there - thus, small population, but inordinately high tax revenue. And, that my friend, is the point - each state may have particular factors that cause revenue/expenditure percentages to be relatively higher or lower.

Plus, conservatives don't blame a STATE for welfare or federal spending. We blame the liberals who push for and enact such programs on the federal level. NY has a massive economy and its tax revenue is also massive. Just because NY has a lower percentage of return from fed coffers doesn't shield NY politicians who support deficit/debt spending from criticism.

I recognize this is a fun little game of "gotcha" that you think you win. However, it is inapposite to the question and answers regarding our bloated federal gov't.

(Finally, I will point out that one of the main reasons for a lot of red states being high on the list is a result of farm subsidies. Both parties are to blame - or take credit depending on point of view - for that one.)
  16. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,297
    Man, you guys are going tie yourselves in knots trying to defend this, aren't you?
    "It's not true that we take most of the money and the blue states provide it!!! And if it is true, it's because you mean ol' liberals make us!"
  17. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,317
    Wait a second. Are you saying that the "moochers" consist of a large number of retirees and not just welfare queens and lazy liberals?
  18. DaveFla

DaveFla VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,020
    Not nearly to the extent that you are tying yourself in knots trying to make it work.
  19. DaveFla

DaveFla VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,020
    river, are you under the impression that red states are 100% conservatives and blue states are 100% liberals? Because that's the only way your ridiculous accusations of hypocrisy on the part of conservatives would come anywhere close to making any sense at all. And even then, it would not be that close.

It's funny - when I gave you the glib, non-serious response that your lowbrow, non-serious thread deserved, you complained that I was not taking this dumb thread seriously.

But then when posters like chemgator and jd95 actually took the time to post serious responses that exposed the absurdity of whatever overly-simplistic point you are trying to argue, what did you do? You either ignored them or posted glib, non-serious responses...just like the kind you complain about when they are directed at you.

So it works like this, folks:

Make a glib, pithy comment...and river posts a condescending reply complaining that you are not being serious.

Make a serious, thoughtful comment...and river posts a glib, pithy reply complaining that you are "tying yourself in knots" or whatever.

Bottom line, no matter what...river complains. It always begins and ends with rivergator complaining.
  20. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,285
    If you don't want us to "defend" welfare, take it away from us. We won't complain too loudly. :)