Starting secondary?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GATORAZ, Aug 9, 2014.

1. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Question mark because camp just started and we have no clue how things will shake out. At the moment it seems like this would be the starting lineup if we had to play a game in the next week.

CB Poole
    NB Maye
    S Gorman
    S Neal
    CB Hargraves

Muschamp was asked about Poole's speed and Muschamp said he was able to cover Debose Robinson and Dunabr vertically so he thinks it is fine.

Maye at Nickle makes a lot of sense, last year against UGA we put VH3 at nickle and Bennett abused him with his size that wont happen with a player as big as Maye.

Gorman might not be the most talented player in the secondary, but you need him for his experience and he always seems to be around the ball.

2. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,146
    That's a strong unit. With very talented depth.
  3. flwgator2

flwgator2 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +363
    I hope Poole improves his tackling; he got owned by Kelvin Benjamin last game.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ltraz

ltraz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +248
    I think if the game was next week you're right, but I think JC or Taber starts at cb opening game. Nickel is just such an important (and often used) position for us that I don't see us moving the most experienced player in our secondary (think we are doing it right now for crosstraining and to get Maye reps at Nickel) unless he's a big upgrade over JC or Tabor.

Opening day I see us with:
    CB - VH3, Wilson
    NB - Poole, Maye
    S - Gorman, Dawson, Washington
    S - Neal, Harris
    CB - Tabor, JCJ

Personally, I like yours bc it means Maye has stepped up his game.
  5. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Muschamp said at his press conference Maye has distance himself from everybody else at the Nickle position. He siad that Maye's play has allowed him to move Poole outside.
  6. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Another reason to move him from Nickle to CB.
  7. ltraz

ltraz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +248
    Missed that, but love to hear it. Maye is super athletic and it just seems that he has been missing that last little piece to 'click' in order to make the jump to dependable starter. He def helps our run support in nickel vs Poole.
  8. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    Quincy Wilson is getting a lot of reps as well. And he looks the part.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,396
    Something tells me we will see a lot of wilson and jackson. Wilson has been very physical with our receivers and has the speed(4.5) and size (6'2 200) muschamp likes in a CB.

Maye at nickel is a good move and I like Muschamp's decision to move dawson to safety. They said muschamp has made dawson his personal project.

We almost can't go wrong with all this talent in the secondary.
  10. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I expect them to play JC Jackson Tabor and Wilson a lot early more so than maybe Poole because those young guys need reps. I could certainly see one of them leapfrogging Poole. But I also expect us to play at least 3 CB's regularly like we did last year. VH3 Roberson and Purifoy were all starters in the coaches eyes.

This is what Nick says

http://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/friday-night-defensive-observations/

Cornerbacks

Vernon Hargreaves’ absence opened a door for playing time and JC Jackson sprinted through it. Despite being in a non-contact jersey, Jackson is playing very well, showing his natural athleticism and instincts for the game.

Jalen Tabor continues to play very well. With Dawson working at safety Tabor was already holding down one of the two starting spots before Hargreaves went down. Jackson’s emergence will push Tabor once Hargreaves is cleared to return but both players appear to be, at the moment, very good options for the Gators.

Brian Poole is working outside, splitting reps with JC Jackson and Poole has looked good on the boundary. While Poole is capable of playing outside, I think he’s
  11. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Muschamp is the safety coach and Dawson is the one that has never played there.
  12. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,396
    I know, this is what nick says about the safeties:

"Keanu Neal continues to show off how athletic he is and is playing at a high level. He worked with the first team for most of the night next to Duke Dawson. Dawson continues to work almost exclusive at safety and he’s becoming Muschamp’s personal project.

Say what you will about Muschamp, but he knows his stuff, especially with safeties. It’s been fun to watch how closely Muschamp is working with Dawson on the finer points of technique and what he needs to see at safety. Dawson has a lot of potential and the move to safety could be permanent with Marcus Maye dropping down to play the nickel."

I would think If muschamp is going to move dawson into first team safety spot after the outstanding spring dawson had at CB, he must see something special in dawson at safety.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. homer_j

homer_j Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +405
    Quincy is the sleeper because he didn't come in, in January and he wasn't flip flopping with his decision. I have read some good things about him during the open practices.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. GoGators1022

GoGators1022 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +206
    So if I am reading this correctly, Jabari Gorman is no longer a lock for one of the starting safety sports? I thought Jabari had FS locked down after the spring.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    And I have seen those first three practices. The dude can play.
  16. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +817
    Question for those in the know:

How does the nickel position differ from the CB and S position?

I understand how CBs and S typically differ, but is the NB always on the TE, or the slot WR, what is the NB's role?

Also, does the terminology and design of our defense differ from the standard understanding of the safeties' role?

Does UF under Muschamp have a SS and a FS, does that distinction mean anything in UF's D?

Thanks.
  17. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +817
    Yeah, but KB was a physical mismatch for almost all college DBs.

Guy probably would have been a Gator but for Coach Meyer's extended mid-life crisis and personal vacation from recruiting.
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  18. ltraz

ltraz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +248
    The nickel is the inside cb. It is a very different position in our D bc of the shift to the spread, which aims at making teams decide btw a cover guy and run support. We want a big guy that can match up on a wr, but also get off blocks and support the run. Hence why the two guys currently there are 200+ pounds. We have played with different safeties, but not like we used to under Strong (more of a true SS vs FS). Now we are more based off pass responsibilities than levels and strength of the formation. For example, Elam had a lot more man responsibilities than Evans.
  19. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Where does that say Dawson is going to be the starting Safety?

This is what I get from that statement and what I have seen Muschamp do. Muschamp is pleased with Gorman and Neal as the starting safeties so much so he is moving g Maye to Nickle where he can be better utilized because he wants to get the best 5 on the field.

Since Maye is moving to nickle we only have Gorman Neal Washington and Harris at safety.Duke Dawson is a player that can play CB NB and Safety for UF in the future so right now Muschamp wants to get him reps at Safety. They already know what Gorman can do
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. blackbird6813832

blackbird6813832 Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    A lot of talent, but it seems we are going to be relying on a lot of youth and inexperience.
    • Agree Agree x 1