Stadiums empty-Ground and Pound vs. the Spread

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by malscott, Sep 18, 2013.

1. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +630
    Oregon has sold out their stadium for every game since 1999. They almost broke their steak the first game of the year playing a patsy no one cared about.
  2. garettk

garettk Member

Ratings Received:
    +136
  3. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    or something stronger, like jack daniels, when they fumble or throw INTs inside the 20.
  4. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +909
    i will always go. it's just the experience as a whole for me. it can't be matched in the sterile confines of someones living room or a bar. i find it strange that people lose their sh!t all off season, fawn over all the recruits, rumors of recruits get in pissing matches with people they don't even know(fellow fans) but when the season finally gets here they can't be bothered to show up because they don't approve of the opponent or it's too hot outside.
  5. rogocop

rogocop Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +208
    Since we can't have the football the way we want it, then they should just drop football at the University of Florida.......that's the answer....

We only have 12 games a year and then the rest of the year we can't wait for football season to start and yet we are just 2 games into the season and we are boring and bitchin about the team.

It's kind of like a recruit that doesn't want to be a Gator and decommits......Good Riddance....drop your Orange and Blue gear at the door and go watch Oregon games......seeya

I was there when we stunk, but the stands were packed and nobody cared....people are spoiled now.......I was at the University for the 0-10-1 season and watched us tie Georgia Tech 7-7. Saw Scott Brantley get his brain bruise......No place else I would rather have been. Fans that appreciate Florida football were there through the tough times......
  6. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +230
    Nailed it. It's the best time of the year. I couldn't miss any of it holed up inside somewhere. IMHO nothing beats pre-game and football at the Swamp. I'd be there if we were 0-10 and playing the Citadel. Great time with family, friends and my university.
  7. rawgator22

rawgator22 Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    If you can't appreciate a low-scoring win, the fault is with you as a fan, not the team doing the winning.
  8. bposs

bposs Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +143
    Did any season ticket holders get a call from the athletic association doing a survey on game day experience? My dad did, and he thought it was interesting. They are looking at ways to improve the experience and asking for fan feedback.
  9. demosthenes

Ratings Received:
    +630
    I think most are happy for a win but there is nothing wrong with liking your entertainment in a certain fashion. It doesn't make one group right or another have some kind of moral superiority.

I wonder how many people that love defensive battles and ground and pound strategies are strong NFL fans? I've met quite a few people that love college ball but loathe the NFL for its style of play.
  10. demosthenes

Ratings Received:
    +630
    Puerile oversimplification.
  11. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,357
    Fans are spoiled by the SOS and Tebow years. They cannot embrace the concept that one can have great teams without an explosive offense. That said, we have been taking this to an extreme since 2010. It would be nice to at least have an effective efficient offense that moves the chains, holds onto the rock and keeps our ravenous defense fresh...
  12. atlmover

atlmover Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +62
    IMHO its a combination of a few things:

1.0 Most sports organizations have focused on the whales $$$ not the minnows $ for the last 10 years or so. Escalating ticket prices have seemed to be disconnected from economic reality. Many people have cut back on non necessities (believe it or not CFB is not a necessity)

2.0 People consume entertainment differently today than 5 -10 years ago. Once upon a time you needed to go to the game to see the game in real time. Today with tv, cable, internet you can catch the game almost anywhere in the world.

3.0 We are more and more demanding. Why pay money to sweat your A$$ off when you can sit at home watch it in HD & AC with surround sound on a 80" tv?

4.0 It cost a boat load to travel these days. $3.50-3.90 per gallon of gas and flight costs are more ugly (what happened to the good old days of $59-99 dollars each way). From ATL-UF driving fuel cost are 600 miles rt/15 mpg (SUV) x $3.59 = $143.60 just for gas. For 4 tickets to the opener I paid over $200 (not great seats) + $145 fuel + $220 hotel + 150-200 food or about $750 total.
  13. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,932
    Yeah, I think that there is a "have vs have not" kind of dynamic that is evolving, although I think that it shows up more in the enthusiasm in the stands and leaving games early rather than the tickets being too expensive. I would also add that I am not in a place where I could support buying season's tickets and so when I have gone in the past 5-10 years, I buy tickets outside the stadium. I buy them at the going rate and that usually is the face value and not face plus one sixth the Athletic Association contributions.
  14. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +908
    Personally, I like to travel 6 hours one way and watch a nail biter, 3-2 ballgame, where we slowly go up and down the field and fumble now and then. There's nothing like the excitement of watching defense, and penalties, and 3 yards n dust, and all. But that's just me. What's not to like about that? Those L tech fellows always gives us a close game.

The atmosphere of college gameday well there's nothing like it. It is worth it especially if you live real close to Gville.
  15. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +227
    People claiming that empty stadiums are due to style of claim are out of touch. Leveling off of popularity of the sport couple with the explosion in technology and social media are the root causes.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  16. urbangirl

urbangirl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +121
    +1
  17. gatorlaw71

gatorlaw71 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +128
    According to many, our team had no interest in playing the Sugar Bowl.

So why should we be interested watching them especially when ...

... it means watching us play most of the "teams" on our schedule ... when the temperature is in the 90s ... and it costs thousands of dollars a year in booster fees and ticket prices ... plus $5 every time you want a bottle of water ... plus what it costs for gas ... and parking ... when games can be watched on a big screen high definition TV ... in the comfort of your own living room ... with surround sound ... and all the drinks and food you want ... and ...

... you can change channels when our "offense" has the ball.
  18. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +909
    I can understand people in a financial crunch. I'm going super low budget myself. There are plenty of good reasons people can't go. But I'm hearing mostly weak excuses. Do you think the team doesn't want to perform to the top of their ability.. and too hot? Dig a huge hole in the ground put on full pads and just jog around a couple times. Those kids are working their butts off for us(not all starters are getting NFL contracts) I'm a fat out of shape guy and I can last a few hours of being uncomfortable. And I'm willing to bet most of the ones not going still take pride in all the polls where the swamp is listed as one of the loudest and call bullshit when it's not.

Sent from my mind using ESP
  19. eViLG

eViLG Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +192
    I didn't hear anyone complaining after the LSU game last year.

Ditto for the 1991 FSU game.
  20. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,366
    This.