Stadiums empty-Ground and Pound vs. the Spread

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by malscott, Sep 18, 2013.

1. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +114
    Sports talk radio has brought this up lately...do you think for the most part the lack of excitement from the style of ball we and others play is part of the reason stadiums are not full? I'm not sure if there has been a statistical study (maybe PD has the answer) if the teams that have more up tempo offenses (including pass-happy offenses)are doing better in attendance. I love our players and coaches...I'm just simply asking the question. Seems Oregon, Spurrier in the old days, Meyer, packed them in. So does Bama as well, but they are at the top of the heap so it makes sense. Has it turned into winning needs to be exciting to be truly winning? Thoughts? Any Hoo...Go Gators. Beat Tenn.:bored:
  2. BigSlick

BigSlick Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +127
    A lot has to do with getting entertainment for our entertainment dollar. For a lot of us, lighting up the scoreboard and having an O that runs up and down the field is really entertaining. 3 yards and a cloud of dust ain't gettin' no one excited!!!
  3. SeaCay

SeaCay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +191
    It's quite expensive to go to a game these days, in time and money (not to mention emotion...). The Gators are not immune from having to compete for fans entertainment dollar (although I do concede they have an inside track on funds due to alma mater loyalty). Several games in the past, I'm only including wins here for discussion purposes, I've asked myself if the product was worth the price. I continue to go to games, and will in the future, but how many others have asked the question and stayed at home?

As an aside, I see the same thing with tailgating. We used to have to arrive on campus NLT 5:00 am to "reserve" our spot. Now, we could arrive as late as 9:00 am and have no difficulty setting up...
  4. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,096
    Ws put butts in seats.

When fan bases feel entitled, championships put butts in seats.
  5. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +369
    Three yards and a cloud of dust -- that is not what we run on offense. We passed for almost 300 yards against Miami.
  6. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +736
    For me, as long as uf is winning and is competing for a title, I think for the most part fans will come. Now, having said that, I'd travel 6 hours to watch uf play top teams even with our style of O that doesn't really appeal to me. However, I would not travel 6 hours to watch 3 yards and a cloud of dust vs a cupcake. Even with cupcakes this O struggles to score in the 30s.

For the most part, with SOS, Meyer, the offense was exciting to watch, entertaining. However, we are now a defense oriented team. It's effective but not worth the distance and price for non big games for me.
  7. bofusgators

bofusgators Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    When the Gators play, It's exciting to me, but I do like it better when they play the bigger schools. No matter I've been going over 50 years and still going strong.
  8. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +486
    Generalize much?
  9. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +617
    No. It is economical. Even Bama and Oregon have empty seats.
  10. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +510
    another thing to think about it, in regards to the gators, in particular the toledo season opener. having a noon kickoff against a team like toledo does not excite as many fans. any noon kickoff is very difficult for fans that are traveling from places around the state. and i assume that many would enjoy just watching a game in the AC, sleeping in saturday morning and HD really isn't too bad for a second option. anyway, we have zero probems filling a stadium for a 3:30 lsu, usc, or fsu. im not very concerned about what you brought up regarding exciting offense. also it is hot as hell during one of those noon kickoff games!
  11. GatorStang

GatorStang Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +376
    I'm kind of in the same boat. I have to travel about 4 hours to the stadium to see a game. Even thought we don't score a lot of points, I have no problem spending the time and money on going to a game with purpose ie division/conference game, or in state rival. I just can't justify spending that kind of time and money on Toledo's or The Citadel's of the schedule.
  12. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +204
    If your winning SEC and National titles any style of play will pack the house

If your 9-3 or 10-2 and just miss it's debatable, fans are likely to show up for big games in enjoyable weather

If your worse than that....you better be fun to watch, score lots of points and fans will come

If your an average team (7-8 wins...maybe slightly better) but only play great defense with a ground and pound offense....fans will find something better to do, or watch on tv
  13. Brandished

Brandished New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I don't mind watching 3 yards and a cloud of dust on TV. At the stadium, being far away, it is hard to tell the difference between a 3 yard and a 7 yard play. It's boring.
  14. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,241
    Winning is never boring...
  15. Tipmoose

Tipmoose New Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    Plus you can turn the channel to a more entertaining game, or go get a fresh beer from the fridge when we inevitably start doing stupid things...like false start or substitution penalties, fumbling, getting sacked, going 3 and out...etc.
  16. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    I think big plays and scoring are what matters. Tempo helps too I imagine.
  17. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,849
    Just a nice sound bite to stir the pot for a talk radio segment. That is too simplistic.

I would say that just about all entertainment dollars are being spent in less amounts everywhere. I am talking about apples to apples comparison in spending. What may change is the blockbuster movie or remarkable new singer/band and they get the "new is exciting" treatment. Otherwise when you are faced in this economy with the cost of driving, tickets, the heat/cold and whatnot and compare it to cable/internet/sports bar costs then it is easy to stay away. Trying to say that if you score more then I would care more is not very realistic.

Now in the middle of it a Tim Tebow, or a Manziel arch-enemy type, is thrust into your program then yes, attendance can spike. JMHO
  18. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Many (not all) fans go to games to be entertained. watching fla beat a cream puff 24-6 in 98 degree heat is not entertaining for that group & they have stopped coming to games, especially since they can watch the game on a 65 inch HD tv with an unlimited supply of cold beer.
  19. SeaCay

SeaCay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +191
    No. Winning ugly is not entertaining. We had a couple of home games last year where the crowd was not into the action due to poor play.
  20. bposs

bposs Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +70
    I mow my back yard when we're on offense, with our time of possession advantage, it allows me to! :)