St. Patty's Day - everything gets too complicated

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Mar 17, 2014.

1. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,743
    I wasnt aware St Patricks was a religious holiday, and we're talking about a civic parade. So, of course its about pushing boundaries, since those boundaries specifically exclude gays or avoid acknowledging that gays exist in the community. Why can't people just admit this is about certain people not wanting to "see" gay-related stuff?
  2. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,381
    Well it is the feast of St. Patrick.
  3. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,743
    So why is no one defending excluding gays on religious grounds then?
  4. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,605
    No need. You are doing a fine job defending them in every other way imaginable.
  5. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,028

First the tee-shirts, then the butt-cheeks, then the cross-dressing "I am a woman trapped in a man's body, but I like my penis too" swan feathered militia, then it's well past over.

Minors should not be exposed to such shenanigans and obscenities.

Neither should adults with manners, actually.
  6. gatorman_07732

Ratings Received:
    +4,381
    Well this is about a parade that is run by a private organization. I'm just letting you know why St. Patrick's Day even exists in the first place.
  7. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,082
    ...where Guinness is the main entree. :D
  8. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,911
    Yeah, I did notice that while one South Boston bar announced a boycott of Sam Adams when it pulled its sponsorship from the parade there, I haven't heard about large number of Irish-Americans announcing a boycott of Guinness since it pulled out of the NYC parade.
  9. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +988
    Funny...on the cafeteria pro-life thread, the libbies are talking about time and place appropriateness. Doesn't that apply here as well?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,082
    There is good reason to invoke MA since it is the first state to allow gay marriage and in a few months they'll have had it for a full decade. Plenty of time to make some determination about the degree of moral decay and degeneracy that might have occurred in its wake, which might then serve as an indicator for other states/entire US. I searched for evidence of such decay, couldn't find any.

Keeping in mind that gays comprise only a very small percentage of society, which in itself matters, it is probably b/c the logic is flawed, or at least inconsistent....If marriage strengthens society by providing a stabilizing force for heterosexual adults and families, then it should follow that it would provide a stabilizing force for gays too. And contrary to claims of "no boundaries," the boundaries have simply expanded to be inclusive of gays. Or another way to think of it, society--in this case, in places where gay marriage is legal--has actually added more boundaries, not taken any away.

And what would follow, as I suspect will happen as time goes on and more gains won (and yes, the test or goal is to have gay marriage recognized/permitted in every state), increasing gay marriage will decrease much of what has been in the past (for some gays anyway) an in-your-face, deliberately provocative and flamboyant style of protesting by stabilizing gay relationships and thus the wider gay community.
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  11. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,911
    Funny, on this thread, conservatives are talking about time and place appropriateness. Doesn't that apply there as well?;)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. dynogator

dynogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +270
    Well, the parade's over, and from what I read in the Boston Globe, everyone had a great time. The gays carried banners that said, "We're for Equality," and "We're for Respect," shot off 7 rainbow cannons into a pot of gold, and handed out beads.
  13. gatorman_07732

Ratings Received:
    +4,381
    Well of course you'll never see it because we have two very different views on degeneracy. I believe the mere recognition of gay marriage is degeneracy that goes against the natural laws of society. Of course there are those that refuse to see that because they have no use for natural laws. Kind of like the freaky deaky crowed, much like the 60's degenerates.
  14. cjgator76

cjgator76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +433
    That would be pertinent if we were discussing bans on holding hands and making out, but we're not. The issue is prohibiting banners identifying a group's sexual tastes, right?
    I don't think anybody asked that. Certainly I didn't. My question is why groups who wish to advertise their sexual differences from others should be entitled to do so with banners in a St. Pat's parade. That question applies whether a given banner says "Gays" or "Swingers" or "Straight Males Who Prefer Female Amputees".

Precisely. Please explain to wgb.
  15. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,743
    As I mentioned, the answer is the same for why there are no white history months, or white equivalents of the NAACP, that's why I mentioned it anticipating what you wrote. Essentially, its the equivalent of making the argument that when people point out the lack of black head coaches in football, it would be like saying: "well, we're not making racial distinctions here so, lets just drop it, ok?" Ignoring sexual distinctions (or racial issues) is a matter of privilege for the people who don't have to think about it on a daily basis. Rather than being inclusive, they'd prefer to use their priviledge to ignore an unpleasant sight.
  16. cjgator76

cjgator76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +433
    We aren't discussing employment either. It's about signage standards in a parade. Take a shot at my question.
  17. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,743
    The people setting the signage standards are the ones who would never need (or feel compeled) to make a sign to dislcose their sexuality in the first place. So unless you have some very real evidence of groups wanting to make "Straights for buxom blondes" signs or whatever, and being also excluded, then I don't see how you can make the case beyond the realm of the hypothetical that the parade doesnt want to highlight any sexual distinctions, rather than exclude a specific sexual distinction (which we have a real example of).
  18. Lawdog88

Ratings Received:
    +2,028

Right. So tell your friends, "why make a fuss about it, a controversy, or try to get some attention."
  19. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,104
    You're really clueless about what gay people are like. You've got this idea in your head that every gay person is wearing buttless chaps and yelling, "Fabulous!" Relatively speaking there are a lot of gay people in Seattle, and maybe about once a month I see a same sex couple holding hands. That's it, no buttless chaps, no studded leather collars, no sequinned costumes, just regular looking people who sometimes hold hands. It's much more boring than the lurid fantasy you've imagined in your head.

Can you find those things if you look for them? Sure, just the same way you find heterosexual people dressing provocatively and being loud in public if you look for it too. I would suggest that if you don't want your kids seeing that type of stuff, that you simply avoid those places.
  20. Lawdog88

Ratings Received:
    +2,028

Clueless in Seattle ? Yes, agreed on two fronts: 1) not being gay; and 2) never been there.

But I have been to Frisco, and they do rave about what is not left to fantasy.

So tell me again, just how it is an isolated thingy that only the garish guys, gals, and 'tweeners do in SF.