Spurrier and Muschamp, couple of good ole boys

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by mulegator, Jul 25, 2014.

1. tafc_5_1981

tafc_5_1981 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +364
    Spur is tough on QBs, it took USCe awhile to get use to his Tough Love. When he had a power running game (Lattimore) he used it (too much for some fans). Same with Davis now. I also think he has had a hand in the D more than he claims. Since he had creative offenses in the past, maybe he has figured out how to stop them. I am no Spur worshiper, but he has made winners out of the train wreck that was USCe football.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. reptilenation

reptilenation Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    I think spending time with Spurrier will be great for Muschamp, maybe take a little of the edge off. I think he will be fine in the long run, hopefully it starts this year.
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,336
    Not sure what you are referencing here.
  4. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,039
    Spurrier's offenses has averaged in the 70s throughout his tenure at USCe. It had little to do with injuries. To be honest, I don't think he would revert to a high-flying passing offense even if he was back at Florida. he found a better, more effective way of winning big, and I suspect he would stick to it.

He has grown tremendously as a coach since leaving the Gators. His experiences in the NFL and his growing pains at USCe has matured him. While he was wildly innovative in the 1980s, he has never been a better head coach than he is now. He is now a COMPLETE head coach.
  5. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,039
    As a head coach, Spurrier ALWAYS had input into his defenses, but he still allows the DC to run the show on that side of the ball. He has been blessed with two outstanding DCs in Ellis Johnson and Lorenzo Ward, and has built the team around the strength of his defense.
  6. gatordavisl

Ratings Received:
    +2,336
    One does not have to run a high flying offense in order to be an effective OC. As I wrote before, I do not keep close tabs on USCe, but recall the Lattimore injury, Garcia expulsion, Connor Shaw injuries, among others. Weren't some of their top WRs injured in recent years too?

Bleacher Report is not always a reliable source, but they do list USC among the teams most affected by injuries here. And if injuries were not a significant factor, most would still consider Spurrier among the greatest offensive minds in football. Do you feel he is not qualified to run UF's offense, based upon those average offensive rankings at USCe?
  7. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,039
    They have had several injuries, no doubt, but as long as Spurrier has a top 15 defense and a mobile quarterback, he can stay in the game. His injuries were not nearly as devastating as ours were last year. He simply doesn't win with offense anymore. Not sure he could. I could be wrong, of course, and watch him fill the air with offense.

There has always been a misconception that SOS had top 5 offenses every year at Florida, but that isn't so, either. Let's look at the total offenses and defenses for Florida from 1989 through 2009:

Year------------Total Offense-------------Total Defense

1989..............................37th.......................................3d
    1990..............................10th.......................................5th
    1991................................9th.....................................20th
    1992.............................34th......................................44th

1993..............................7th.......................................30th
    1994..............................8th.......................................19th
    1995..............................4th.......................................19th
    1996..............................2d.........................................14th

1997............................20th........................................12th
    1998............................14th..........................................9th
    1999............................30th........................................30th
    2000...........................24th........................................42d

2001..............................2d...........................................9th
    2002...........................25th........................................25th
    2003...........................46th........................................51st
    2004...........................22d..........................................42d

2005...........................61st............................................9th
    2006...........................19th...........................................6th
    2007...........................14th.........................................41st
    2008...........................15th...........................................9th
    2009.............................6th...........................................4th

Average..............20th.................................21st

How many people, even Gator fans, would have guessed that our defenses were as strong as our offenses over this 21 year stretch?

This is another example of the vast chasm between perception and reality.

The worst defense we had during that stretch was in 2003, when we 9a) had a new DC, (b) eight new starters on defense, and (c) probably our toughest schedule in the modern era. Our worst offense was in 2005 when we had (a) a new HC and OC, and (b) a coaching staff that insisted that our pocket passer run the spread option.

Then the abyss beckoned:

2010...........................82d............................................9th
    2011..........................105th...........................................8th
    2012..........................103d............................................5th
    2013..........................113th............................................8th

Average.............101st....................................8th

Not even in the 1980s, when we were ladened with sanctions, did we have THAT great a difference.

As for qualifications to run the offense, of course Spurrier is qualified. Personally, based on what I saw, I would rather have Malzahn, Sumlin or Petrino run our offense these days over SOS, as Sumlin's and Petrino's offenses at Texas A&M and Arkansas, respectively, weren't anymore talented than USCe's.

Let's see how Roper does. What he did with Duke's 2-stars was amazing, similar to what Briles (or his OC) did at Baylor.
  8. regator

regator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +309
    Love the fact you say he was blessed with good d coaches and then go on to say how he is not that good on o anymore.

I assume then Muschamp has just been cursed with bad o coordinators but is still one of the best on The D

I'm not sure what Spurrier did to you but I have yet to see a post about spurrier that you have not rushed in with all your stats showing how spurrier is washed up
    • Like Like x 1
  9. gatordavisl

Ratings Received:
    +2,336
    All this, when you simply could have answered my question "yes" or "no." :confused:
  10. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +780
    Rankings don't mean a whole lot in college these days given the increased # of teams who play weak teams in meaningless conferences. The best offense keeps the defense off the field or blows the other team out early so the defensive starters can rest for the next game. That's hard to put in stats. Spurrier changed the SEC. Enough said.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. GatorChamp96

GatorChamp96 Member

Ratings Received:
    +21
    Spurrier not only has become a better coach at South Carolina, but it's also paying off in recruiting as well. The 2015 class he's going to bring in (potentially) could be the best SC has ever had.

What he's done at SC is nothing short of a miracle. No, he doesn't have any SEC titles at SC, but 3 straight 11 wins seasons is damn impressive for a school that has struggled in the past.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Swamp_Swagger

Swamp_Swagger Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +694
    South Carolina was nothing but a doormat year after year before he got there. Now they always have double digit win seasons and are always in the hunt in the east

And let's not kid our self South Carolina just can't pull in recruits like a higher prestige school could. So I say Spurrier is still a very good coach
  13. mulegator

mulegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +576
    Anyone who doesn't respect the fact that Steve Spurrier is one of the greatest college football coaches of all time simply doesn't know much about the game.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,039
    Sorry, but I have to be able to support my assertions with facts, not because I said so. I have to demonstrate my points.
  15. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,039
    Would you have been happy with 80th ranked offenses at Florida before 2010? people wanted to string up Zaunbrecher, Fedora, Mullen and Addazio for THEIR offenses, when most of them were top 25 offenses.

And no, it isn't because SOS had no talent. His recruiting is no worse than Arkansas under Petrino or Texas A&M under Sumlin, and only slightly worse than Malzahn at Auburn. He made a careful, mature decision to change his philosophy in order to WIN rather than put a bunch of points on the board.

Well, compare:

a. Spurrier is an offensive-oriented coach yet plays primarily with defense-dominant teams;

b. Muschamp is a defensive-oriented coach and plays primarily with defense-dominant teams.

Look at the Arkie teams with Petrino, Auburn with Malzahn, Texas A&M with Sumlin, Mizzou with Pinkel and USCe with SOS since 2010 (all are considered offensive-oriented coaches):

Year----School-----------Total Offense--------Total Defense

2013........Texas A&M...................4th.............................109th
    2013........Auburn........................11th...............................86th
    2013........Mizzou.........................16th..............................81st
    2013........USCe............................36th.............................19th
    2012........Texas A&M....................3d...............................57th
    2011........Arkansas.......................19th.............................47th
    2010........Auburn...........................7th.............................60th
    2010........Arkansas........................9th.............................36th

2012........USCe............................82d...............................11th
    2011.........USCe...........................74th...............................3d

To say that Spurrier is winning hge at USCe with defense is no slam, but I guess to the legions of those who adore him, they simply cannot reconcile the idea that he is not an offensive guru anymore, and indeed, if you look up at the total offenses of several of his 1990s teams, his numbers were really not much different than those who followed him (prior to 2010).

More hyperbole. SOS has done nothing to me. I respect what he did, and go to great pains to emphasize how great he has become as a complete head coach, yet if I offer ANY critique whatsoever, it is considered a bash. I do not exalt him, and as the years go by, more and more people want to believe that we had #1 offenses EVERY year at Florida and that he chooses not to have a great offense at USCe, rather than be compelled to change his philosophy to fit the times. If anything, I give him more credit than most of his admirers. I give him the extraordinary capacity to change and be even better.
    • Agree Agree x 2