Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Spring Practice Starts 3/07

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Mar 2, 2024.

1. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Here are some thoughts I have concerning what to look for leading up to the O&B debut.

1. Limited media access. Media will be restricted to 15 minutes per practice. I don't like it but many places close practice completely. The good news is that some things always seem to get out some how some way.

2. Offensive Line. Who will get moved inside? Who will take Leonard's spot at guard? Have the guys developed physically in a good way?

3. Receivers. Who emerges as RP's replacement? Will Mizell, Jean make a move? How fast will Dike become a part of the rotation? Will the TE's be better?

4. Linebackers. What is the rotation and who makes plays? Is the scheme more aggressive?

5. Defensive Line. Has Dez lost weight? Is Slackman a starter? Has Boone recovered and back to a starter?

6. New guys. Who makes an instant impact I look for Wesphal to make the 2 deep. Im hearing the staff likes Abrahms and he will get a chance to make an impact.

What will you be looking for?

Candy

• Like Like x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. SuperMOM

SuperMOM GC Hall of Fame

Jan 31, 2016
    Here are some thoughts I have concerning what to look for leading up to the O&B debut.

1. Limited media access. Media will be restricted to 15 minutes per practice. I don't like it but many places close practice completely. The good news is that some things always seem to get out some how some way.

2. Offensive Line. Who will get moved inside? Who will take Leonard's spot at guard? Have the guys developed physically in a good way?
    George looks the part at Guard. Harris played quality minutes last season. I think both will start out the spring as starters.

3. Receivers. Who emerges as RP's replacement? Will Mizell, Jean make a move? How fast will Dike become a part of the rotation? Will the TE's be better?
    Mizell is still a situational receiver at this point. He's gonna take another year or two to be SEC ready.Jean and Abrams have SEC ready bodies. Hopefully the Wisconsin WR comes in and produces and lets the younger guys develop.

4. Linebackers. What is the rotation and who makes plays? Is the scheme more aggressive?
    Pup and Shemar. The 2 freshman should be next in line. The Moten move is intriguing.

5. Defensive Line. Has Dez lost weight? Is Slackman a starter? Has Boone recovered and back to a starter?
    Boone and Pyburn should not be rushed back into action. I'd like it if Pyburn sits out the first 8 games to rehab and redshirt.

6. New guys. Who makes an instant impact I look for Wesphal to make the 2 deep. Im hearing the staff likes Abrahms and he will get a chance to make an impact.
    Hawkins as a KR and PR! I also think the LBs will immediately get quality minutes.

What will you be looking for?

• Like Like x 2
  3. devincdoss

devincdoss Senior

Aug 9, 2017
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Can't wait to see revamped secondary with Turner, Douglas, and Bridges.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    Tackling from the secondary. Excited to see Turner.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  5. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I hate that they interrupt camp to take off a week for spring break.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  6. mchess1

mchess1 Sophomore

Jan 19, 2022
    Palm Beach, Florida
    I’m looking for what Ron Roberts brings to the mix to make Armstrong’s scheme more effective and less exposed to big plays.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Legend

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    Will they actually interrupt camp? My thought is they may practice through the break. Thanks for posting gatormonk. I hadn’t realized UF spring break was during practice schedule.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Ron Robert's effect on the defense.
    Oline improvement
    Who steps up at wr
    Who of any additions, freshmen or transfers standout.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Yeah, now that they're pros, who signed their Leave Chit anyway? ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, they did the same thing last year.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. sqgator

sqgator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    For the offense to be effective, we need at least one more WR to excel.

Would OL be much improved, if not, we can write-off the season.

Looking for consistent plays from LB and Safety.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. bike1014

bike1014 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2010
    - We need a sophomore jump from a long list of players.
    - We need some legit top end performers (can we finally see some bonafide ALL SEC players, please)
    - We need a surprise or two on the OL (like when Barber went from bench role to Freshman All America within the same season).

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  13. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    I would add that we need all 3 transfer db to work out with Harris/Armstrong making Douglas a better tackler.

Need a transfer cb still or Devon to be healthy all year.

RR to elevate LB tremendously.

Young edge to improve pass rush skills.

RB2 to step up.

Young TE to improve from serviceable to weapons.

Hawkins to immediately contribute in the slot so EW3 can play in more receiver positions, as he has the quickness to separate. I expect Jean to be the other high use receiver.

• Like Like x 3
  14. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Surely it's based on optimism but while what you say is true, I'm not too concerned about a couple of those issues. In particular, running back and secondary. I think a more cohesive leadership on the sideline along with the added experience from the portal and growth from the youngn's like Jackson and Castell should pay off well. I thought Webb flashed and the new freshman running back looks like a grown ass man.

I have no idea what to expect from the edge and linebacker positions and hope boardingham and company take a huge step forward.

We are saying the same thing overall I just think personally, I have more questions and curiosity about those other issues you mentioned than RB and secondary.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    I'm less concerned with RB than secondary. It has been a problem for years. Marshall needs to show he can play every game like it's the Georgia game. I am really happy about getting Turner. If Harris is a great development coach as advertised so Castell can have a big sophomore bump, we should be much improved on defense with Turner on board.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I think Boardingham and Webb will answer the bell at the TE and RB2 positions.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  17. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    Pretty much all of my questions are on D. If we have the same exact offensive success this year, we win 2-4 more games last year. Super excited about seeing the changes on D. Scheme, players, technique, aggressiveness etc

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    I second the excitement on D improvement. I think it is almost certain.

I temper my enthusiasm with my expectation that our competitors are likely mostly improved from last year also, with maybe the exceptions of FSU, LSU and UCF.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. foot

foot Junior

Mar 24, 2008
    I think the defense will be vastly improved from last year with all the experience coming back and with the addition of Ron Roberts and the other new coaches, but it will be difficult to ascertain that during spring football.

I'm just excited to see who will be 1st and 2nd string on defense and offense by the end of spring to see who is the real deal who's not, especially on the offensive line. Then we can see what the talent level looks like.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Fix the damn defense!

I hope to see size and strength improvements and a well oiled staff.

And Lagway walking on water.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1