1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Spring Practice 2014 Updates

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by theghost, Mar 30, 2014.

1. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,549
    Diesel, what site did you get that info from? (or is this your own assessment?) Thanks for posting.....
  2. Diesel350z

Diesel350z Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,015
    24/7
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Diesel350z

Diesel350z Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,015
    Grier is the #2 quarterback right now but i think once Harris gets on campus he will end up the #2 QB.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,765
    Sounds like things are picking up for Antonio Morrison. He just got roundly abused at times last year.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,620
    Good to hear Herndon's getting serious work; here's hoping Roper comes in and truly means "we're going to play multiple RBs and the best will get carries"--because I'm a firm believer that he would be a pretty good option for us in that department.

In the first game, I'd say he was our first or second-best RB we used (Taylor looked equally promising) and then...nothing. Given the offense's ineptness last year and the way it struggled, I found myself wondering why he didn't get a look--particularly given the fact he's rumored to be faster than Brown or Taylor and more explosive than Brown. His touches against Toledo in last year's opener mirrored what we heard about him all last spring and summer: hits the hole fast and can slip by would-be tacklers. Sounds like we're hearing much the same thing this year too.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. theghost

Ratings Received:
    +1,549
    Some stuff I've read from "around the web" (beat writers, friend who attended today, etc):

- WR Chris Thompson in a non-contact jersey today.

- WR Showers looks good (so does D. Rob and Fullwood, but those are expected)

- RB Herndon looked great (this from friend who attended)

- TE Burton clear #1, Westbrook struggling, Goolsby lots of potential

- Both FBs integral part of new offense

- Kickers did well, but all kicks were inside of 35 yards

- Tabor & Dawson played the entire scrimmage (VH3 sat out)
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. theghost

Ratings Received:
    +1,549
  8. Welshgator

Welshgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +375
    • Like Like x 1
  9. tampagatorlawyer

tampagatorlawyer Member

Ratings Received:
    +81
    Burton at#1 TE? That's disappointing.

He's a decent blocker but has TERRIBLE hands. I'm really hoping Westbrook and/or Goolsby will step up
  10. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +257
    PLAY OF THE DAY: On Robinson's 35-yard touchdown, Grier found him in man coverage on a slant route. He slipped through a tackle after making the catch, cut on a dime to the outside and then outran the secondary down the right sideline for the score.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Gator_84_88

Gator_84_88 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,166
    I also have not been too crazy about MJ as a RB.
  12. theghost

Ratings Received:
    +1,549

It seems that Matt Jones has now fallen into the same category as Driskel (i.e. he's shown us "the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly").

Honestly, I think we all need to take a step back and give them the benefit of the doubt (that just MAYBE they've had some poor leadership/coaching and bad OL play the last few years...and they've been injured). We seem to have a solid OC now and an improved OL (seemingly). I also think Clay Burton falls into the category (although we've seen more "Ugly" from him than Good and Bad).

The depth at RB is going to give MJ a very, very short leash. He has a lot of talent breathing down his neck...and quite possibly will never regain his starting role/job. JD seems to be entrenched...and the TE job seems to be Burton's to lose (although the TE position is going to be a little different w/ the "H-back" role or whatever it's called...and sharing it w/ the FB's).
  13. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    I am glad to see Herndon is getting some attention. I was really impressed with his speed and power in the limited action he received. We're loaded at RB with or without Matt Jones.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,116
    This.
  15. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,149
    I would say we have good depth at RB. Alabama is loaded at RB. I don't think we are.
  16. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +752
    good but, hope we dont need them too often.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,885

As I have mentioned before on another thread, what is this slant route that they keep referring to, I have no idea what this is in the Gator offense. I have seen this done by other teams against us with great success but I don't remember we ever using it. >sarcasm font< ;)
  18. parramoregator

parramoregator Member

Ratings Received:
    +49
    Don't like that part. Depth is so important, and if we don't have it at the LB spot we will be in trouble late in games against strong run teams
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,132
    My thoughts based on all that I've read:

The interior of the DL right now appears to be Orr, Cummings, Ivie, and Bostwick, with Bullard sliding in right now with Orr not playing. The ends, depending on Orr and Bullard, are Fowler, Bullard, Cox Jr., and McCallister (who's name I haven't heard or seen much honestly).

Riles, Sherit, and Brantley are also in there and have been mentioned, but there hasn't been a lot of news about them to this point.

LB can change the most between now and the fall, because of all the guys missing time with injuries, but it looks like Morrison, Taylor, and Ball will get the most snaps, and Davis and Mcmillan are right behind those guys and could steal time on the field if they continue to develop.

The secondary looks like VH3, Gorman, Maye, Poole (NB), and then a wide open battle for the last spot opposite VH3 between Washington (who is playing all over the field like a Jaylen Watkins clone right now), Tabor, and Dawson.

Honestly, that's a very strong defensive two deep, except at corner, where the talent is great, but not the experience. It would be great if one more secondary player could step up in the fall. Injuries could really expose Florida on the back end.

On offense, it's hard to piece together really. Who will play between Joyer, Ajagbe, Burton, and Westbrook is still a mystery.

RB is no mystery. Taylor is the man. But Brown, Herndon, Powell (who hasn't even played), and Lane have all been mentioned as playing well. Not to mention Matt Jones is returning in the fall. Given that, the #2 RB spot is anyones guess and is wide open.

WR hasn't really cleared up any either. Fulwood has been pretty good, Dunbar has been his been very consistent, as he has been for a while now, and Robinson is amazing people. Kinda sounds like last spring huh? We don't really know what Debose will provide yet, Thompon has gotten some praise, but will he contribute other than at practice? Showers has been up and down at the slot, and the news has been so-so about Alvin Bailey as well. Lattroy Pittman has been starting off and on in the slot, so maybe he's finally turned a corner, and I barely read anything about Andrades.

So a lot of bodies, but the only thing we know for certain is about Dunbar, who will clearly start. Other than that, it's probably anyones guess as to who else makes it on the field regularly at WR.

QB is easy. Driskel is the guy. The #2 is Grier. That could change in the fall.

OL has been pretty stready, which is awesome. Max is going to play, either center or guard. Moore at guard, Thurman at guard a lot. Humphries and Green at tackle. Brown has been repeatedly mentioned as a man in the 7-8 man OL rotation that the coaches really trust. Cam Dillard is in at center. Rod Johnson can play tackle and guard, but most likely guard. Drew Sarvary has been mentioned as well as Harkless, but it looks like only injures would get them on the field at this point. Although it's still early.

So piecing that all together, I'd say it probably looks like this right now:

QB: Driskel, Grier
    RB: Taylor, Brown (everyone else 2B)
    HB: Clay Burton, Tevin Westbrook
    WR: Dunbar, DRob
    WR: Fulwood, Debose
    WR: Pittman, Bailey
    OT: Green, Brown/Harkless
    OG: Moore, Johnson
    C: Garcia, Dillard
    OG: Thompson,
    OT: Humphries, Brown/Savary

DE: Bullard, Cox
    DT: Orr, Bostwick
    DT: Cummings, Ivie
    DE: Fowler, McCalister
    LB: Morrison/Taylor, Davis
    LB: Ball/Taylor, McMillan
    NB: Poole, Dawson
    CB: VH3, Tabor/Dawson
    CB: Tabor/Dawson, Washington
    S: Maye, Harris/Washington
    S: Gorman, Neal/Washington

Looks like a solid 2 deep to me, and that doesn't even count the next infusion of talent in the fall.

Maybe we should all cheat up :)
    • Like Like x 1
  20. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,443
    I'm not sure what a slant route is either. Is that what Lindsay Scott ran against us? If so, then I would yes, opponents have used it against us with some success. I personally think that whatever route Scott ran should be named after him. (In the huddle the QB just says, "Lindsay Scott.")