Spring Practice 2014 Updates

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by theghost, Mar 30, 2014.

1. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +774
    Just to stir up some football discussion, some stuff to discuss regarding spring practice updates:

- DE Bryan Cox: glad to see he's stepping up. Up to 260lbs (per Muschamp press conference)

- WR Andre Debose: back, but non-contact. Would love to see him utilized (hope he hasn't lost any speed)

- C Max Garcia: learning new position, having some trouble w/ shotgun snaps (hopefully that's cleared up by fall)

- OL: Who wins the G positions? Does Rod Johnson have an impact when he returns?

- RBs: Adam Lane, 5'8 220lbs. Does he get more than mop-up duty?

- RBs: What happens when Matt Jones returns? Very deep depth chart here. Even Herndon is getting some mention (he says Roper had 5 RBs last year at Duke that had significant carries)

- Freshman CBs: do either of Dawson or Tabor start in the fall?

- WR, deep threats: Chris Thompson, Quinton Dubar, Demarcus Robinson - who do you like here?

- TE: Do any of these guys make an impact in the new offense? Will Goolsby beat out the upper classman?

- DL: Which young DLs make an impact? Ivie, Bostwick, Sherit, McAllister?

- LB: lot's of talent, will they stay healthy?

- Who is the most valuable player on each side of the ball? (imo, O: Driskel, D: Bullard/Fowler)

- QB: is this Driskel's team? (I think so) Curious to see who wins the #2 job

Anyone been in person yet? Thoughts?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +862
    To me, I'm most curious about Adam Lane. We've heard some rumblings that he is very difficult to tackle. I certainly hope he gets a legitimate shot. I look forward to seeing him during scrimmages.

The other thing to me is how Matt Jones will be used. I almost wonder if he won't be used in a more pass-catching role. He has the size (6-3, 225) to play that H back or Tight End role. And he has exceptional hands. I almost wonder if we don't see him morph into a multipurpose threat. I'm not crazy about him as a running back. I think he is OK in that role, but also miscast in that role.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +196
    The most I'm excited about is Tabor. Can he cover Debose, too?
    How many catches does the fullback get this year?
    VH3 is the best corner in the country next year and a big leader on defense.
    Fowler Jr will be unstoppable.
    So far JD is struggling on the short out patterns. Hopefully he gets that down, the quicker out of his hands, the better.
    I hope Chris Thompson isn't the "spring fluke." Reports are good.
    Introduction to the slant.
    Everyone says KT is noticably quicker and faster.
    I hope Goolsby is the impact freshman on offense, maybe on all of the offense, period.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +596
    I personally think he is better suited to h-back than rb. He does not have a great burst, but is a load once he gets moving..
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +763
    What is this "slant play" that you speak of? I don't think I have ever seen it. :D
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. theghost

Ratings Received:
    +774
    I should have mentioned one more issue/item:

- The kicking game. WTF is going on there?!?!
  7. tommyvee

tommyvee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +423
    From what I'm reading, Hardin is doing better with his consistency in practice. He's still having issues when they go into game-time situations though. Let's hope we can work that out.
  8. tommyvee

Ratings Received:
    +423
    There is no FB position from what I understand. The FBs are competing with the TEs for the B position (pretty much an H-Back) where they motion out wide.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. theghost

Ratings Received:
    +774
    Tommy, I've read the reports (and have seen the real-time tweets/updates from the beat-writers)....and it's troubling (putting it mildly). I hope one of them steps up and becomes "the man". This position and Punter have to be the two biggest "looking over your shoulder" positions on the team (ie, could lose your job if you make the slightest mistake).
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +196
    That's what I get out of it also, maybe I should have said Joyer/Ajagbe.. Neither of which I would like to tackle as they run with a full head of steam out in open space.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. tommyvee

Ratings Received:
    +423
    Both punters are booming the ball right now and are getting nothing but praises!
  12. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +680
    I think you could say they're still in the 'looking over their shoulder' category, but in the complete opposite way.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. gymgator

gymgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    469 pass attempts 524 rush attempts for Duke in 2013. Would LOVE to see that many plays for UF.

Driskel will have 100+ rush attempts with half coming from called pass plays that aren't there. QB's combined for 167 rush attempts last year for Duke. Maybe Harris & Bailey get 20-50 out of the Wildcat.

Jones & Taylor = 250 carries (Snead & Duncan combined for 220 for Duke)
    Brown & Lane = 150 carries (Thompson & Powell, 126)
    Everyone else = 25-50 carries

No excuse to not have fresh legs in every game. I hate this "hot hand" 30+ carries a game 1950's way of playing football. NFL has 53 players, you have 85 in college for a reason, use them.
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. g8rfan22

g8rfan22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +556
    You guys are correct. The FB has been converted, for the most part, to HB/TE.
  15. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +774
    Not been to practice, but I've read every report. Regarding Cox, he's doing very well, but starting at SSDE might depend on Leon Orr's health. Cox is playing now because Bullard moved inside and Cummings moved from DT to NT.

Anybody's guess on Debose. Hard to evaluate a player who's not in pads. I think he's going to have a productive year.

I don't know that Garcia at center is a done deal. I think Dillard has been getting a lot of time there. Garcia is one of our best OL. He has to start, but it doesn't have to be at center. This offense will require someone very adept at shotgun snaps.

I think Garcia starts at one of the guard spots. Sounds like Green and Humphries have the other two locked down.

Lane is probably #3 right now behind Taylor and Brown. Mack Brown is not going to go away. This offense might actually be perfect for him.

Don't know what's going to happen with Jones, but we've got to find a way to get the ball to him.

Tabor will probably start alongside VH3 but has some work to do. Dawson is looking good, but will probably end up nickel.

Goolsby might not play at all this season. As has been mentioned in this thread, TEs and FBs are competing against each other. Ajagbe, Joyer are both doing well catching the ball. Westbrook is making progress and will be hard to cover. Burton is still our best blocker.

Sherit is still injured. Haven't heard anything about the rest of that group except Bostwick, who I hear is doing quite well. McCallister is a puzzle.

Fowler is the most dominating lineman and probably the most disruptive player on defense.

A lot of LBs are hurt, but we only play two at a time. Morrison is healthy and is playing very well. By fall, Morrison, Taylor and Ball will be the primary playmakers, but Jarrad Davis has made a lot of progress this spring.

Offensive MVP: Driskel or Taylor
    Defensive MVP: Fowler or Hargreaves

This better be Driskel's team. A hurry-up spread depends on great decision making by the QB.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. theghost

Ratings Received:
    +774
    Good stuff Strange.

Ivie has been mentioned a few times along the DL. I hope he steps up. We need a 4-man roation there (not counting Bullard: Cummings & Orr, then Bostwick & Ivie?). I hope Brantley gets it together as well. He has the size, but seems to be in the dog house a bit right now.
  17. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,049
    The answer lies with the 2 preferred walk ons we got, they just won't be here till fall.
  18. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +683
    Is there any kind of report, rumor, or speculation about the alleged scrimmage last Saturday?
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,049
    Hahaha. I've been searching for the same thing. Only people I've seen even mention it was the recruits who were visiting. It got rained out but the recruits, I. Washington and Adonis Smith both stated they enjoyed it.
  20. Diesel350z

Diesel350z Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +553
    Top players of the day.

3. RB Mark Herndon: It was a strong day overall for the running backs, but Herndon had two carries that he dragged multiple defenders on for big gains. On one, he worked his way up the right middle and slipped or dragged five to six different tackles for a 15-yard gain. On another run he broke outside to the left, he dragged a defender about four yards toward the sideline.

2. DT Darious Cummings: Cummings was disruptive in the middle all day during Florida's short-yardage work. He had several good tackles in the middle, including one when he slipped right past Max Garcia to destroy Mack Brown for a 4-yard loss down to the 2-yard line.

1. WR Demarcus Robinson: Finally thrown to a decent amount, Robinson showed everyone on Monday why he's the most talented receiver on the team. He had at least four slipped tackles and several big gains and strong catches. The play of the day came when he took a short slant on the right side and slipped his cover man inside, then slipped back outside to juke another defender out of his shoes. He then broke up the sideline to finish off the 35-yard catch with a touchdown reception.

Honorable Mentions: QB Jeff Driskel, QB Will Grier, RB Kelvin Taylor, WR Quinton Dunbar, S Nick Washington
    • Like Like x 5