Special Teams

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by BobbyGator72, Sep 22, 2013.

1. BobbyGator72

BobbyGator72 Member

Ratings Received:
    +28
    I think something that is being overlooked in the first three games is that our special teams have taken a big step back from the last couple of years. Our kick coverage has been really good but everything else has went in reverse in my opinion. Hardin has to be more consistent. Christy has been a big disappointment to me this year. His average is down, he just lost focus on the dropped snap and even at the end of the game his head was elsewhere. Tennessee was rushing 11 men with no one back and he kicks it to the sideline where it goes out of bounds and stops the clock right away. Kick it down the middle, let it roll around and kill some time... On kick off and punt returns I know that we want to add playmakers into the mix but I think it is too risky to be using Purifoy and VH3. I would either find a kick returned or try to make one out of (Herndon, Taylor, Andradeas, Thompson, etc.)
  2. SJB612

SJB612 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +166
    Absolutely agree. Missed field goal, dropped punt, punt out of bounds, and then the worst is these guys continuing to take the ball out of the end zone on kick offs. With the new kickoff rules that have been in place, it is almost impossible to get it to the 25 without getting tackled, and the chance of getting injured (see Purifoy) makes it too great a risk to bother. I think it is just selfishness when these guys try to return the ball out of the endzone.
  3. Drewsagator

Drewsagator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    10-4 on all of this. Purifoy is not that good as a kick returner.....runs too upright and only runs straight ahead. I would say Patton but he has become very valuable as a WR.....Maybe Showers ??

Besides all the injuries yesterday the biggest disappointment for me was the missed FG. Every point that this team can score from here on out will likely have a huge impact on winning and losing....This doesn't bode well for a team of our nature.
  4. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +373
    Purifoy had a blocked punt! :D

But yeah, the return game does seem to be lacking comparatively!
  5. Drewsagator

Drewsagator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    Wondering about Alvin Bailey. I thought they brought him in as a slot guy who would also be a kick returner. Is he redshirting? Didn't Adam Lane return KO's in HS also?
  6. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +90
    Total liability (except for LP's block). Agree w/ all. Points are going to be premium, we can't leave any on the field.
  7. gymgator

gymgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    Really think Showers should return all kicks. I know he was hurt, but the Patton, Purifoy & VH3 are becoming too valuable in the O and D.

Showers is just as good as those guys and I look for him to help more in the run & pass game as well, but at least we still have 3 WR & 2 RB in front of him.