SOS still going strong

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by ThePlayer, Apr 25, 2014.

1. ThePlayer

ThePlayer Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,696
  2. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    Man, I miss the guy, I still can't believe sometimes he got away, he just was the perfect fit at UF, almost like a dream come true. Oh well, Gatorbait now.
  3. DMann

DMann Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +297
    He is his own man and always will be one of a kind. Glad he was a Gator for 4 plus 10. I still enjoy hearing current SOS stories and wish they were coming out of Gainesville. Do you think the "I don't have many friends in Gainesville" is directed at anyone in particular? Maybe JF??
  4. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +595
    Yup, I always thought he would retire at Florida. Big mistake by all parties...
  5. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +239
    I seem to recall that Spurrier said, when he started coaching at Florida in the 1990's, that he couldn't see himself still coaching when he was in his 60's. I guess he sees it now.

The comment may have been meant as a subtle slam on Bobby Bowden, who was in his 60's at the time. But I think Spurrier meant it when he said it. Lots of folks will get to the usual "retirement age" and find they're still pretty good at what they do, so they keep doing it. They'd get bored if they quit. SOS, I suspect, is one of them.
  6. Distant Gator

Distant Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +395
    You are correct on all counts. They were talking about Spurrier's age a few months ago on Sportstalk radio show up here in SC. They said a friend of Spurriers, who knows him better than anyone, said that Steve is having such a good time he doesn't even think about retiring.

I guess things are different in Columbia. I guess due to fan expectations. They are thrilled with SOS- beating Clemson is what makes them happy after being down almost 2-1 in the series. I guess it all goes back to expectations.
  7. DMann

DMann Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +297
    When SOS said he didn't see himself coaching into his 60's schools weren't paying HBCs $3,000,000 plus per year.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +516
    I never thought he'd get it done at South Carolina (not sure what counts as "getting it done" there). He's done far more than I ever would have expected. It's crazy to think that this will be his 10th season at Carolina. This will be his 13th season of coaching college football at a school other than FLORIDA (he coached 12 at FLORIDA). Hope he loses one game this year and watches the GATORS win the SEC Championship (not that I won't be rooting against them when they face Kentucky, Missouri, Vandy, etc.).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  9. Rooster

Rooster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    Not sure that's it, about expectations. I mean it wasn't that long ago Florida was sort of ... well, anyway, there are similarities. But anyway, the friend was Chip Prezioso, he owns Palmetto Promotions and is a member of an old Gamecock football family here. He and the HBC hit it off almost from day one when Spurrier arrived.

Things are no different in Columbia or Gainesville. Two college towns, fans expect you to win.

What Columbia has that Gainesville does not these days are Spurriers' kids and grandkids. Don't take it personally, we'll probably all feel the same way one day when we get older. Your home is where your family is. I think playing-it-off as USC Columbia having lower expectations is probably a shallow interpretation of what is really going-on. That, plus Spurrier is king here. Donovan and Foley are king in Gainesville, right? Or, you've got Urban Meyer, Tebow, et al., all who are big celebrities. But here, Spurrier is king. He's less than an hour from Augusta National and a dozen other world class golf courses, they are everywhere, we're the golf capital of the country. He seems to be having fun.

We're just happy to have him.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +762
    I can't believe he's been at SC almost as long as he was at UF.... He's got a very good team this year. Wouldn't surprise me to see SC win an SEC title (or at least win the East).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. ThePlayer

ThePlayer Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,696
    Wouldn't surprise me to see him kick our arse again either.
    He could take a reserve quarterback and win against our staff.
    Sorry, but that's the painful truth.
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. MelBeachGator

MelBeachGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    We took a 3rd string "quarterback" who threw a grand total of 4 passes and nearly beat Spurrier, in Columbia. Dumb post.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. GatorChamp96

GatorChamp96 Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    He will resign as football coach, but he will serve an advisory role for USC.. This was added into his last extension that he agreed to.
  14. RepubliGator84

RepubliGator84 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    “The Head Ball Coach will always be a Florida Gator, and he’ll proudly tell you as much in his familiar, high pitched twang”
  15. Distant Gator

Distant Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +395
    First- I don't remember the name but I thought it was someone who PLAYED with SOS at UF. But I'm not sure.
    And while I agree with a lot of your points, I disagree that our expectations and yours are the same. (full disclosure- I've lived here in SC since 1980 except for my time at UF. I know Gamecock fans and I know how they've struggled- esp against CU.)

If SOS had been in Gainesville for 9 seasons and had only 1 SEC East title show for it, there would be unrest here. Even if we had beaten FSU 5 straight, there would be unrest. SOS mentioned the high expectations when he left- that we went 10-2 and top 5 back in 01 and people thought it was an awful year.

Now- perhaps that's a bad thing for us. We do seem to chew up our football coaches- unfortunately. Whereas the expectations are lower for b-ball and Donovan seems very happy. He missed the tourney 2 years and there wasn't any uprising. I'm sure that's a relief for a coach.
  16. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +173
    I don't care what he says. I've been in Columbia when I was in the military and for football weekends. Columbia is an unqualified dump. Horrible place. The minute that USC joined the SEC, Starkville was not the worst destination in the league.

When you combine the dump that is Columbia, the dump that is the USC "campus" (where is it?) and the dump that is that disaster of a stadium in the middle of the state Fair Grounds parking lot - right next to the railroad tracks - you just have to respect Spurrier as one of the Top 3 coaches in the history of the SEC (Bryant, Saban). And I didn't even mention their horrible (though loyal) fans. In my life, I have known several USC fans. And every one of them has also been an Alabama fan. And I mean, they all have had Alabama cps and shirts in their closet, along with their USC stuff. They had to have Bama to fall back on when USC inevitably failed. Pathetic lot.

What Spurrier did at Florida changed college football. But winning at Duke and USC is even more astounding.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +489
    Shaw and Davis were both pretty beat up for that game too. Not all of the injuries were on the Gators side that day.
  18. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,930
    Not surprising SOS has had success at USC. He's a great coach.
  19. DMann

DMann Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +297
    As FAMU's Jake Gaither said, "He can take his'n and beat your'n and he can take your'n and beat his'n". That was said about the Bear but it applies to SOS even more. The Bear had more good players on his roster than many coaches had players period. Spur's won a conference championship at Duke and set the bar in the SEC during his tenure at UF.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014