Son of guns thread

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by HungaryGator, Sep 12, 2013.

1. supagator

supagator Supa'star Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,877 / 2 / -7
    Knock em down fellas!
  2. helix139

helix139 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,008 / 32 / -4
    Welp, just made a new purchase. Have to wait for it to get to my FFL in a couple of days though. I bought a Knight's Armament Co SR-15 E3 LPR. Gonna stick the ACOG TA31F with RMR that I have laying around on top of it when it gets here. It's going to probably be a medium range (out to 400 yds or so) hog/small deer and bench rifle for me. I'm planning to feed it 77gr Federal Gold Medal Match ammo. Should be a .75MOA or better rifle.
  3. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    I'm thinking of getting a hammerless snubby to use as a ccw. Anybody have any they recommend? I'm looking at the Taurus 85 or cia 650, the S&W 642 airweight, the Ruger LCR, etc. They're all .38 special. They're all double action only (what you want for a ccw). Accuracy is not a big concern since those encounters almost always take place at very close range, but reliability is EVERYTHING....thus I'd insist on a revolver.
  4. helix139

helix139 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,008 / 32 / -4
    I wouldn't feel comfortable running a gun like that as anything except a backup. Both because its hard for me to control a smaller rig like that in terms of recoil management and a proper thumbs forward grip and it is extremely difficult to feed it more ammo should you find yourself in a situation where you need more than 5 or 6 shots. I prefer to carry a full size or a compact semi auto. Nowadays they are just as reliable as revolvers and much easier to keep fed. I carry my M&P9 with one spare extended magazine and have a total of 39 shots of 147gr federal HST. My Sig P229 with 2 extra mags gives me 41 shots of 180gr .40 S&W. If dress is really restricted I can run my p239 and have 22 shots with 2 spare mags. None have ever had a malfunction other than the occasional dud primer with Winchester white box, but that isn't the gun's fault, and I have run thousands of rounds through the Sigs.

IMO pick a gun and dress to it, not the other way around.
  5. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    I own several automatics and I have never seen one that does not occasionally either not strip the first round out of the mag or which does not stovepipe occasionally. Some like the keltec do the latter all the time. Others like my Remington R1 or my CZ-75bd very very rarely do that....but they all do it some. (yes I have personally seen Glocks stovepipe several times - for the Glock lovers out there) Revolvers OTOH always go bang when you pull the trigger.

The only 5 shots thing does concern me though. I'm with you on that. Do you think .38 special has insufficient hitting power? I know its not the most powerful but my impression is that that round is one you can count on to get the job done. Dang it, why can't they make a 15 shot revolver? :)
  6. helix139

helix139 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,008 / 32 / -4
    If your first round isn't getting stripped it means one of 3 things: your guide rod spring is worn out, your feed ramp is dirty and/or gritty (clean and/or polish it), or your ammo is just not a good match for that particular gun (happens sometimes, just pick a different round and try anything you're going to shoot for defense at the range first to verify that it feeds well)

Either that or it's operator error because you're riding the slide a little bit and not really powerstroking it. All of those can be mitigated. Like I said, I've never had that problem at all with my Sigs, nor did I with the Glock I used to own that was GPD gun prior to me owning it and had thousands of rounds through it.

As for stovepipes, usually that's an extractor issue. I've never had one while I'm shooting other than when I've purposely installed one in order to practice clearing them, but those (along with the other types of malfunctions) can be cleared relatively quickly, certainly in less time than it takes to get a revolver reloaded.

.38 special I think is plenty as far as round. In the end, it's about placement and not the bullet itself, as there is no such thing as a magic bullet. More shots will give you more wound channels and a better chance of scoring a hit to the CNS or critical blood supply resulting in rapid bleed out.
  7. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    Picked up one of these puppies today. (Savege 320.....12 gauge with an 18 inch barrel) I had had my eye on them for a while and then the opportunity to get one at an unbelievably good price popped up suddenly so I jumped on it. Just got back from the range and it shoots great.....though I need to buy a choke for it.
    [​IMG]
  8. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +656 / 141 / -85

Just remember that snubbies have one drawback, lessened muzzle velocity because of the shorter barrel. If you wants a snubby for close-in defense, then that's fine, but after 30 feet or so, you'll want something with a 3 1/2 to 4 inch barrel. I wouldn't mind having a 2 1/2 inch .22 snubbie as a back-up, but overall, go with at least the 3 - 3 1/2 inch barrel IMO.
  9. Gator515151

Gator515151 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +104 / 0 / -2
  10. helix139

helix139 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,008 / 32 / -4
    Picked up the LPR from my FFL yesterday. Added the ACOG, RMR, and Bipod. Can't wait to get out to the range!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    I went to a gun show last weekend and noticed one of the guns I had been lusting after for a long time. It was very reasonably priced (unfortunately somebody had it re-blued in the past which is a big no no with collectables). Other than that though it is all original except for the mag and all the parts match. Even the firing pin is not broken and those things break often with these.

Better yet it was being sold at a local pawn shop which buys and sells guns. I had been looking to get rid of my keltec p-11 which I hated so that would further reduce the price. So I did it. Shockingly, they even had the ammo and the reproduction holster for it! (the ammo is a horribly expensive $1/round). Now I just need to order a couple of extra firing pins to have on hand in case mine breaks and an extra mag....which run at about $150 (ugh). Still.....mine is a type 14 Nambu made in October of 1929 at the Tokyo Arsenal.

It looks just like this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I have a 7.62mm Nagant Revolver, a .45 caliber Remington R-1 1911 and the 8mm type 14 Nambu. I just need an Enfield .38 caliber breaktop revolver (British Empire) and a Luger P-08 9mm (Third Reich) and I will have the handguns of all the major powers of WWII. The Enfields aren't terribly expensive and are readily available. The Luger is going to cost a pretty penny though.