Something not to lose sight of going into the 2014

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by SavageGator, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,268
    Agreed as I pointed out in my original post and my post just above this.
  2. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +332
    Yeah I saw it right after my post appeared. lol
    • Like Like x 1
  3. number1

Ratings Received:
    +332
    I sure hope so. Just getting better performances from the OL would probably move our offensive production up 20-25.

While I have been skeptical of the Muschamp hire from Day 1. I think this is his chance to silence me and the other critics. Driskel will be experienced and will be in a system that he should feel comfortable in. The OL hopefully is ready to perform. We have some quality players at the WR and RB position.

Now the question is can Muschamp get all of the pieces working together and get some wins on the board next year.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,331
    Well I couldn't only give you a " agree with last part" rating so I'll just post it. I agree if this year is an epic fail he will be and should be gone, And just like you said 4 in a row at any point really we will have a interim.

Now to the 75 % of the post I didn't exactly agree with. ( I rarely hand out disagree and dislike; or any negative rating very easy, I prefer to conversate about it.

I actually think muschamp can coach and has shown us GREAT coaching during his tenure, 2012 was a year of great coaching, the halftime adjustments, being able to navigate through a sec schedule with only 1 loss, being able to mitigate the deficiencies of the offense, being able to rush behind a no depth, avg OLine. He was great that year.

Now he has also shown is he is fallible. '13 was a disaster. No way to explain it. There were a plethora of reasons for why we witnessed an epic failure of a season last year. Injuries, poor offense, internal conflict, etc. Needless to say it all reared its ugly head in '13

now with that being said what signs do you look for to spot whether someone has learned and is turning the curve? What would you look to see now since we seemingly can't wait to let our performance on the field be the determining factor.

first step is admitting that it's broke, own up to it and accept that change is needed. To this point , champ undeniably has put last year's failure square on his shoulders.
    He looked in the mirror and realized he had to do what was needed to win and he felt that a whole new offensive philosophy what was needed to 1) revitalize our fan base (most at least) 2) stir some buzz with a whole new kind of recruit target, one that fits the spread. And 3) balance our football team to provide the defense with Some offensive support.

Einstein once said insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting to different results. Well so far we know champ isn't insane because he has gone all in with his offensive change and he has made it loud and clear to the recruits out there. And if I may add, it looks, at least so far to have had a positive impact with offensive recruits.

You state offensive player development, which I too can see where it was a bit of a issue, so what does he do? He makes a couple of great hires. But not just flashy names or anybody with a pulse. He seems to have focused on and hired coaches who are well known for developing their players and being great fundamental coaches .

Coach Roper is well established as a great fundamental coach who demands perfection through repitition, who specializes in developing QB'S. Coach summers is one of the most respected OL coaches in the nation and his strength is developing and teaching fundamentals. Coach hutzler has a track record for turning poor special teams units into productive special teams units. And let's not forget we got joker phillips last season who most agree Is a great wr coach. His primary focus is precise route running and again developing players.

So muschamp has shown us he is capable of great coaching while simultaneously showing us he is still improving and growing pains are inevitable and he has room to improve on his coaching .

He has taken every step you would want to see in someone making a positive attempt at changing, we had player development issues, check, he hired offensive staff specializing in player development, the former offense was slow and allergic to the red zone, he swallowed his pride and implemented a spread up tempo no huddle offense that score nearly 50 points in bowl game against Johnny football. He had to mend fences with the fan base, so he opened up 9 practices with positive feedback. He needed Oline man for depth, so he went on a mission for committed O lineman near the end of recruiting when roper came on.

Ultimately, our play on the field will tell us what we want to know, but since that is lot feasible for some, all we have are to look for indicators that champ has figured he had to evolve. Has now turned a corner and will hopefully have a better grasp of this team and it's pulse.

I just don't understand why some would assume this season is doomed and we haven't even begun summer yet.
    From all signs, champ had taken the necessary steps one would think would be needed for the change that we seek; a fundamentally sound, efficient offense that can move the chains and score some points. I believe he has brought in the type of coaches that can help him mold these young men into SEC caliber players with the coaches demeanor and attention to detail.

Will it all come to fruition and work? Who knows, and we won't know till toe meets leather and we kick off the season.

But if we were to give champ a itinerary to follow in order to improve our offense, and change the image of UF football after last season, it would probably consist of those glaring issues we had and
    and retaining services of coaches who can develop and get the most out of the talent we have. He has followed that to a T.

Here's to hoping for a exciting 2014. # GO Gators.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,331
    Just for the record I had no clue that post was so long. Wow!. Smh!
  6. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +716
    I will admit that Muschamp has done everything this off season that I thought he should do to even have any hope whatsoever for next year. I'd said in previous posts that he should open practices and reach out to the fan base, and he did. I thought he should change coaches on offense, and he did. He has seemingly changed his philosophy, which was needed. The 2014 recruiting class was also decently strong on the offensive side of the ball, considering where we were at at the end of 2013.

So, that is why I have any hope at all.

But given what we have seen on the field, even in the 11-2 season, I just can't make myself believe he can turn this around until I see it on the field. I have felt for his entire tenure that the calls UF has made in big play situations, decisions to go for 4th down/punt/FG, the way we have handled substitutions and offensive starters, etc. have been consistently not the greatest. I also feel that the defensive calls in big play situations haven't been as good since Quinn left either. Which makes sense. Durkin has a long way to go to be Quinn.

The general lack of experience from the coaches on this team that are the primary play callers is an issue that I think will ultimately doom them in the SEC, where there are so many great, experienced coaches and assistant coaches.

I think it all just goes back to how Muschamp was not ready for a head coach position specifically in the SEC. He just didn't have enough experience. He may yet prove me wrong, but given all the things arrayed against him in his fourth season, it's hard to imagine him surviving for much longer.

I hope he does and coaches UF to great success for 30 years, it's just hard to see that as realistic right now. Just look at the head coaches he will play against this year from an experience standpoint: He honestly needs to beat at least 3 of these men, probably 4 to save his job, and also not lose to anyone else (other than FSU). That's a tall order, especially with the roster issues.

Steve Spurrier - 219-79-2
    Gary Pinkel - 175-100-3
    Nick Saban - 165-57-1
    Mark Richt - 131-64
    Les Miles - 123-45

Butch Jones - 55-34

Muschamp - 22-16
  7. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,331
    So you get what I'm saying sorta, till this point he has done everything one would think needs to be done for the change that was needed. Now we just have to wait till the season starts and we see the product on the field. It's the only measuring stick left. He has owned up to it all till this point. Now we (unfortunately) just have to wait till the season starts. I think until then any doom and gloom scenarios are both a little premature and presumptuous.

I'm with ya I hope it's all gravy come season time as well as it could be a long season.

I just choose to be more positive since it's not any more sweat off my back do so over be pessimistic
    • Like Like x 2
  8. slayerxing

Ratings Received:
    +716
    I see where you're coming from, and I think we're both on the same spectrum as far as our feelings about the team and the coaches, I just have less faith than you right now, is the difference.

The one last thing I will say though is that doom and gloom scenarios are neither premature or presumptuous.

The doom part already happened, and the gloom now hangs over the entire program. Now we just have to wait and see if the current coaches can save the program, or if they further cripple it before a new regime comes in. That's what we're waiting for.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +338
    Sorry, but I don't see how's it's presumptuous or premature considering Muchamp's track record so far. Where you might see a lot of positives for Muschamp's owning up to, and allegedly hiring the 'right coaches' the third time around, I look at the obvious: results. And the result are in: Muschamp, in 3 years, has managed to produce the 2 worsts season records in the last 25 years of UF football. His saving grace is one 11 win season where we didn't win anything and were largely plagued by the same problems we've seen throughout his tenure. Now we are here discussing whether 8-5 is good enough to keep him employed. I would love nothing more than to be wrong and watch Muschamp transform himself into the championship level coach we all want, but I have seen no evidence of that, so no, I'm not being presumptuous, just realistic.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. BastogneGator

BastogneGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +327
    You can give me a negative rating if it would make you feel better Tebowism; doesn't bother me, paycheck is still the same and my wife will still love me
    • Funny Funny x 3
  11. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,331
    Acting as if you For see the future without a innate ability to do so while speaking as if the future has already occurred is being presumptuous. If your using past history to tell you what our future holds you are simply playing the odds. Everything is assumed then that history will repeat itself. It's only bound to repeat itself if you continue to make the same mistakes. Our issue was offense and special teams. Both have been seriously overhauled this off season. The offense is a complete 180 from last year's "slow plow" offense. To say we are going to fail because the offense we no longer use didn't work is either silly or your related to Mrs. Cleo and can see the future. :)
  12. number1

Ratings Received:
    +332
    One question. If Florida's offensive production improves and we manage to win a few more games because of it, who really gets the credit? Would it really confirm Muschamp as a good coach, or would it be more of a Gus Malzahn-Gene Chizik situation?
  13. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,323
    Hiring the right coach makes a difference. Head Coach gets credit if he makes the right hire.

Hindsight being 20/20, the Pease hire was risky due to his track record. Pease pretty much performed here as he had everywhere else except his one year at Boise.... where he had the system in place, a Head Coach who may well have been heavily involved, a Senior QB who was an excellent decision maker and knew the offense inside out, and a bunch of players who had multiple years in the system.

Champ got fooled. Like most people. The Pease hire was pretty well applauded by a lot of folks, and reportedly Saban wanted him too.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,331
    Well as we found out from last year being good on only one side of the ball will not get us where we want to go. It will take a great defense to go with any new offensive success we may endure which would mean they both would have contributed therefor both would get credit.

And what would be wrong with having a chizik/ malzahn situation here? That duo won a title. Chizik was more defensive and malzahn offensive. The only problems they had was malzahn left.

The more you try to defend your position the more it starts to sound as if it doesn't matter what level of success champ achieves you just don't want him as HC. You compare us to auburn when they won a title. But then spin it as if that was a bad arrangement. Would it really matter who gets what credit if we duplicate that success? I hope roper is our malzahn, comes in here infuses a new fast offense that is successful and helps us return to prominence, muschamp is a better coach both on defense and in general than chizik, so if roper can do his best a malzahn impersonation, that could be our best case scenario. :)
  15. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,268
    Thanks for the info.....
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. number1

Ratings Received:
    +332
    Make no mistake about it, I never was happy with the Muschamp hire, but if he is successful then I will be the first to eat crow.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,331
    Then don't take this the wrong way but I hope I'm cooking a huge helping of crow and can send you to bed full that night. I mean we really all love & want success for our gators, some posters just wake up everyday as opposite day and have a backwards way of showing it. :)
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. slayerxing

Ratings Received:
    +716
    Honestly, it'll be the best crow ever. Please, feed me all the crow.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  19. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,331
    Who is that in your avi?
  20. slayerxing

Ratings Received:
    +716
    Vernon Hargreaves III
    • Like Like x 1