Something not to lose sight of going into the 2014

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by SavageGator, Apr 21, 2014.

1. SavageGator

SavageGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +695
    The most of the better SEC teams (Bama,LSU,A&M,Mizzou,South Carolina, Georgia) have inexperienced QB's heading into the season. A healthy Jeff Driskel won eleven games for us in 2012 with only one conference loss.
    I'd say that's a plus for the Gators!
    • Disagree x 6
    • Like x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  2. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,794
    I love the positive mojo, and young QBs definitely could have an impact this year and give us a better shot against those teams, if Champ can get our defense to take advantage of them.

But Thompson and Mauk will be higher rated entering the season. Along with probably anyone that Sumerlin starts, because his QBs always perform well.

But in this offense, if Driskel plays to his physical potential, he should be among the best in the conference, for sure.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  3. g8tr96

g8tr96 Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +828
    In before the Muschamp bashers.....

I agree!

And Bama thinks they will be ok just running the ball w/o a QB that can put together 10-12 play drives. Most running games are only as good as their passing games will help set them up to be. No passing game as a threat, the tougher it will be to run the ball.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +874
    Georgia, Texas A&M, and Alabama have amazing pieces around whomever plays QB. Great WRs, great RBs, strong OLs. Coaching consistency, etc... These teams will be fine, or maybe even strong depending on how the new QBs develop. I would rather be breaking in a new QB like these teams, with amazing talent and experience around them, than to be in UF's position, changing offenses with a guy coming off of a season ending injury the year before.

USCe and Missouri are in a pretty good situation too, but a notch down on the talent level vs the other three. They have pretty good WR's, great running games, and solid OLs.

LSU I think may be in trouble, but again, they have a lot of talent around them, but there is a void at WR and QB, so I think that passing game will take a big step back.

I think honestly, of the 6 I mentioned, UF is in the worst position. You could argue LSU is worst off, but it's debatable.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +5,794
    UF has plenty of talent around Driskel... especially if we can keep the OL healthy and cohesive so we can run some plays.

This is Driskel's fourth year. He has seen plenty of SEC defense at this point - both in the film room and at game speed on the field. IMO, he should be ready to take a big step forward... if he has that step in him.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. SavageGator

Ratings Received:
    +695
    There will always be the glass is half empty posters here.
  7. slayerxing

Ratings Received:
    +874
    See, on paper, yes maybe. But none of it has done anything to this point. Not much of note anyways. The other teams I've mentioned have talent that has also produced. That's where UF is really far behind. They may have similar talent but consider that Muschamp recruited pass catchers currently on the team have accounted for all of 1 TD reception in 3 years of offensive recruiting. That is a mind boggling statistic and means that UF is not even close to being as strong at the positions around the QB than the other teams we've discussed. Add in what has been questionable OL play for 3 years, and the supporting cast for a QB at Florida is a mess.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +5,794
    It all starts with OL... for which "questionable" is an extremely kind characterization. But they've also been snake bit with injuries.

On paper (as you say), we should be much better at OL. That will give the other guys a chance to perform. We have a very strong backfield, and while they haven't done much yet, we have plenty of talent at receiver. If the OL steps up and our fourth year #1 QB recruit comes into his own, we should see these backs and receivers excel.

That's my story. I'm sticking to it.
    • Agree Agree x 7
  9. slayerxing

Ratings Received:
    +874
    Alabama could run into trouble if they don't have decent pass protection. Their pass protection was iffy at times last year, but they got through it mostly because of the experience of McCarron. If the pass protection is equally iffy, a new QB may struggle mightily, even with all the talent at WR, TE, and RB that he would have around him. Still, with guys like Amari Cooper, OJ Howard, DeAndrew White, Christon Jones, etc. catching the ball, any QB there has to feel pretty good about their situation.
  10. slayerxing

Ratings Received:
    +874
    I really want you to be right.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +5,794
    Me too... but I still had two IFs in there that have to come through... OL and QB.

While it probably should happen given the experience and physical talent we have there, IDK if it will happen. Anytime you see a player at QB who doesn't seem to consistently see the field real well, or step up and make plays in the red zone, you really wonder if/when that light will come on. Hope Roper and Summers and are the real deal and can help make it happen.

One thing I like about the way Roper tends to play two QBs, is that he can coach them up a little during the rotations, like SOS used to do. Also sounds like he is very demanding of the players needing to know their chit well enough to execute at tempo without thinking (has to be instinctual and just go play)... that could also help JD. I think both those things could really help JD, as well as this offense probably being more suited to his physical skills.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +420
    Completely overrated and irrelevant stat IMO. Last few SEC/NC champions:

SEC Champs Auburn had a first year starting QB in Marshall
    NC Champs F$U had a first year starting QB in Mr. Date Rape who also won the Heisman

SEC and NC Champs Bama had an experienced QB in McCarron but:
    First year stater Manziel won the Heisman

SEC and NC Champs Bama had a first year starting QB in McCarron

SEC and NC Champs Auburn had a first year starting QB in Newton who also won the Heisman

SEC and NC Champs Bama had a first year starting QB in McElroy

See a trend?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. SavageGator

Ratings Received:
    +695
    As I remember as QB Jeff led us to victory over Manziel and the Aggies that year. I also remember Saban saying it was Tebow making plays that gave the Gators the win over Bama in an SEC championship game. Cam Newton learned enough sitting behind Tebow as a Gator to start anywhere else. Plus the year before he was the Junior College Player of the Year! No I don't see a trend. If you were to track all the SEC games I think you would see the real trend. To cherry pick is to distort.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +5,794
    It is interesting that those teams succeeded with "first year" QBs, but as Savage points out, most of those first year starting QBs had prior year(s) experience before stepping in starting SEC roles.

In the bigger picture, I think we'll find that teams with more experienced QBs play more efficient offense... better TD/TO ratio, better RZ scoring, better 3rd down conversion rates, etc. And have more game winning / game sealing drives, when needed.
  15. ETGator1

ETGator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +174
    With the low expectations from all of the prognosticators, my thought is UF will be the surprise team of the SEC. All of detractors can climb in a dumpster with their ridiculous rationale. UF will be a good team with Driskel finally running an offense for which he's suited. UF has recruited too good not to compete at high levels in the absence of 10-12 season ending injuries from the 2 deep lineup.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. GCNumber7

Ratings Received:
    +420
    I think you are making my point. Jeff was a first year starter too when we won 11 games. An inexperienced QB does not mean those teams will struggle. And I'm not cherry picking man, those are all the champions for the past 5 years. lol.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. SavageGator

Ratings Received:
    +695
    1st year starters are different than inexperienced QB's
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. GCNumber7

Ratings Received:
    +420
    I think everyone would agree most QBs play better with more experience. But that wasn't my point. My point is I don't see a big advantage for us against those schools considering the talent and experience they bring all over the field. A new QB is no longer a huge question mark like it might have been in the past. The last two Heisman winners have both been 1st year QBs.

Also, I strongly disagree that most of those QBs had prior experience. Manziel and Winston had not played one down of college football. The rest had a few snaps of mop up duty if any experience prior to starting.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. GCNumber7

Ratings Received:
    +420
    Who in that list had any significant D1 experience?
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  20. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +291
    I agree with you, but not understanding how Tebow fits in.